• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Gun Free Mall now interecepting customer cell signals.

gm2max

I have been in the state for 3 months now, and due to gun rules in malls, I have not been to any malls. I would rather shop elsewhere.

Steeler-gal

Mall Owners Pull Plug on Cellular Tracking (For Now)

Saw this update just a few minutes ago.

You may now shop two malls again without fear of individualized tracking—at least by your cell phone signal. Privacy concerns raised by US Senator Charles Schumer (D-NY) have ended plans by malls in southern California and Virginia to “survey” customers’ shopping habits by tracking their cell phone signals.

As Ars Technica previously reported, Forest City, the mall developer that owns and operates the Promenade Temecula in Temecula, California and Short Pump Town Center in Richmond, Virginia had announced it would test technology in those two malls from Path Intelligence. Called Footpath, the system uses a series of cellular signal detectors to triangulate the movement of customers’ phones — and by extension, the customers themselves — through the mall’s stores and other spaces. While the technology doesn’t eavesdrop on cell phone users’ calls or record information about their phone numbers, it does use their cellular device’s digital signature to track individuals.

full article here