• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Gun laws

daniel.call

imported post

Sorry if it sounded like I was saying educated people should run the show. My no economics comment was just to point out that those who are studying politics don't have to take economics and business classes. All politicians make economic decisions. My local city council just passed some stupid laws a couple of months ago that make my business insulated from outside competition. Why wouldn't they want people to compete with me to force my services to improve? My father in law dropped out of high school and he understands politics, business and life as well as anyone. When I say everyone needs to study different areas is that I think anyone making social policies should at least have a basic understanding of how our markets work. To me study=read, observe, practice. I study law all of the time. I do not study to become a lawyer. I try to understand our Constitution. I learn my local laws so I know what is required of me to conduct business and such.

The framers deliberately limited the number of people who had voting power. The framers deliberately avoided a democracy. I think they had good reasons. I hear so many people voting based on who they think can deliver their social security check, who pays better farm subsidies, and who wants the government to pay for all the health care. Too many people view government as a way to get things for "free." I am perfectly content to have them exuse themselves fromthe political process.

That said, political participation isa civic duty that every one of us is required to discharge. One cannot partially do their duty. It is an all or nothing proposition. If one is not ready to do their duty they can step to the side. That includes all those "highly-educated" persons who do their "job" enacting laws.