• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Gun Show Experience at RIR

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
imported post

glockfan wrote:
I have a suspicion that their "new" guns are blems or seconds, hence the reason for the low prices? I wouldn't buy anything "new" from DS.

Sometimes I see good deals, they had 2 used DSA FAL (SA58's I guess) at the Showplace a month ago one of them was very clean and only $800. I almost bought that damn thing. :lol:

They have low prices because they operate out of their home. They have no storefront nor a website to maintain.

I bought a new G23 from them and have never had an issue with the gun's quality.

les_aker

imported post

nova wrote:
I also have had great experiences with:

Trader Jerrys (will price match and has come down $20 every time I've asked)

Golden Arms ...had a nice confersation with the one guy while waiting for my background check to come through. The Dale City show wasn't busy so we chatted.

Rabbit Ridge
also normally has nice prices but last time the one guy was a little on edge. I think I caught him in a bad mood but I still got a good deal.

Dark Sun will never get a dime from me, thanks to ponytail man. He knows he's about the only one there with the surplus guns people want and doesn't care about being polite.

At the Dulles Expo Center show, there are two other good dealers:

Joe Elarde Firearms - you'll know them by the yellow shirts. They are usually back to back with the Rimfire Sports table(s). Rimfire has .17 and .22LR pistols, rifles, and parts if you're into Ruger 10/22s . They are usually about 4 rows from the left and one section back as you come in the door.

Bailey's - They are usually all the way in the back toward the left side. Nice family owned business from Tazwell County.

Ric in Richmond

imported post

I was at RIR this weekend! But not at the gun show...I sponsored the Street Survival Teen driving School on Saturday.

I had the opportunity to stand upstairs and peer out the window from the classroom over the SEA of people. I was very jealous!!! The lines were HUGE!!!!

Of course soon we had some comments from the teen driver crowd and their parents who were looking out about "no background checks at guns shows" so I had some educating to do. I had a group of about 6-8 around me and I explained the whole gun show loophole myth and how it was really a private sale loophole. They actually got it!!!! YEAH!!!

Then one young lady said they shouldn't sell to "sketchy" people. I asked her if sketchy was code word for black,or hispanic or a woman or someone who looked like her or me or that guy over there.....who did she really mean???

She was stumped at that. I explained to her that there were safe guards in the process to weed out criminals and people who legally can't possess a gun, but that people could still cheat those safe guards. That people who cheat safeguards would not follow ANY of the rules on guns and that they call those people CRIMINALS.

So by passing overly restrictive rules you actually only disarmed the good law abiding people. You could see the light go on in her head.

I explained that many times sheep see wolves and sheep dogs as the same and attempt to de-fang both. In reality by de-fanging both....you make the sheep vulnerable to the wolves.

We all agreed that the police were not there to protect you on a day to day basis.

I told them that I carry daily and I looked at it like a seatbelt or fire extinguisher or insurance policy.

I gave all of them my business card and told them straight up-If you want to go shooting or learn more you call me and I will pay for all the ammo and range time.

I really enjoyed talking to them and I think I at least opened up some minds.

Infidel

imported post

Ric in Richmond wrote:
I was at RIR this weekend! But not at the gun show...I sponsored the Street Survival Teen driving School on Saturday.

I had the opportunity to stand upstairs and peer out the window from the classroom over the SEA of people. I was very jealous!!! The lines were HUGE!!!!

Of course soon we had some comments from the teen driver crowd and their parents who were looking out about "no background checks at guns shows" so I had some educating to do. I had a group of about 6-8 around me and I explained the whole gun show loophole myth and how it was really a private sale loophole. They actually got it!!!! YEAH!!!

Then one young lady said they shouldn't sell to "sketchy" people. I asked her if sketchy was code word for black,or hispanic or a woman or someone who looked like her or me or that guy over there.....who did she really mean???

She was stumped at that. I explained to her that there were safe guards in the process to weed out criminals and people who legally can't possess a gun, but that people could still cheat those safe guards. That people who cheat safeguards would not follow ANY of the rules on guns and that they call those people CRIMINALS.

So by passing overly restrictive rules you actually only disarmed the good law abiding people. You could see the light go on in her head.

I explained that many times sheep see wolves and sheep dogs as the same and attempt to de-fang both. In reality by de-fanging both....you make the sheep vulnerable to the wolves.

We all agreed that the police were not there to protect you on a day to day basis.

I told them that I carry daily and I looked at it like a seatbelt or fire extinguisher or insurance policy.

I gave all of them my business card and told them straight up-If you want to go shooting or learn more you call me and I will pay for all the ammo and range time.

I really enjoyed talking to them and I think I at least opened up some minds.
Great story Ric, sounds like you gave then more of an education than they anticipated. It's great to be a Sheep Dog ;).

JR-Ewing

imported post

The only issue I had at a Gun Show (in the Frederickburg area) is when I entered the building, bought my ticket, I had to clear my sidearm and temporarily surrender my magazines +1 round, and to unload I had to use their clearing barrel...no problem.

However, when it comes time for me to leave and reload, I start to use their clearing barrel so I can "safely" chamber a round and the folks at the table have a kaniption fit and scream at me to stop and then tell me I can't reload here, I have to go out to my vehicle to do that.

Sorry, to my logical/rational mind that simply doesn't pass the "Common Sense" test.

TFred

imported post

JR-Ewing wrote:
The only issue I had at a Gun Show (in the Frederickburg area) is when I entered the building, bought my ticket, I had to clear my sidearm and temporarily surrender my magazines +1 round, and to unload I had to use their clearing barrel...no problem.

However, when it comes time for me to leave and reload, I start to use their clearing barrel so I can "safely" chamber a round and the folks at the table have a kaniption fit and scream at me to stop and then tell me I can't reload here, I have to go out to my vehicle to do that.

Sorry, to my logical/rational mind that simply doesn't pass the "Common Sense" test.
No way to know for sure, but perhaps they were still a bit spooked from the very first gun show held at that site (which also happened to be the first event held at the brand new Expo Center). According to the news coverage, a vendor handed a loaded rifle to a prospective customer, who then fired a hole in the ceiling!

http://fredericksburg.com/News/FLS/2006/022006/02022006/164933

Of course, the rule you describe has nothing to do with that event, but as noted, logic is a rare commodity among folks who make these kinds of decisions.

TFred

JR-Ewing

imported post

No way to know for sure, but perhaps they were still a bit spooked from the very first gun show held at that site (which also happened to be the first event held at the brand new Expo Center). According to the news coverage, a vendor handed a loaded rifle to a prospective customer, who then fired a hole in the ceiling!

http://fredericksburg.com/News/FLS/2006/022006/02022006/164933

Of course, the rule you describe has nothing to do with that event, but as noted, logic is a rare commodity among folks who make these kinds of decisions.

TFred

I remember this incident. While you might be correct, as you say, "no way to know for sure", I guess it's possible.

Amen to that...I've too often found that Common Sense isn't always common practice.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

JR-Ewing wrote
I remember this incident. While you might be correct, as you say, "no way to know for sure", I guess it's possible.

Amen to that...I've too often found that Common Sense isn't always common practice.
My own experiences with the folks at that table in Fredericksburg are "watch out". I've been swept more times than I can count. I've been asked "you're carrying? I wouldn't let my wife have a gun." (that was a Fredericksburg police officer). I've had them ask me how to open the action on my Bersa so they could tie it. I've had them ask me to open it so they could UNtie it.

I clear in the car, and hand it to them with it locked open. It's the ONLY way I trust them to handle my firearm. And one of these days I'll remember to pick up some long wire wraps.

JR-Ewing

imported post

I don't trust anyone to clear my weapon, therefore, I clear it myself. On this day they had a clearing barrel and that's where I cleared it.

As to the FXBG cop stating "[he] wouldn't let his wife have a gun.", sounds like he has control issues as well...or his wife is totally submissive.