• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Guns and Gold!

JamesB

Howdy Pardner!
Then again, we could all save up that money and go bowling. $50 bucks can pay for a whole heap of bowling.
How do you handle a 7 - 10 split? Double tap!

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

Now that sounds like fun. Last time I went bowling I got kicked out.

Well to be fair, they didn't kick me out. They didn't even ask me to leave. They did ask my OC Glock to leave.

So, ya... I got kicked out.

Keens

Whew! Glad to hear it.

It was my first R/C plane, so I had to spring for the engine and radios, as well as some basic tools. The plane kit itself was around $50.

I've had 2 R/C aircraft myself, and oh boy, they are sure expensive! I'd prefer to buy a new pistol these days, although that giant scale Cessna 182 with flaps and lights sure is a fine one!

since9

Campaign Veteran
I've had 2 R/C aircraft myself, and oh boy, they are sure expensive! I'd prefer to buy a new pistol these days, although that giant scale Cessna 182 with flaps and lights sure is a fine one!

Replicas can be expensive indeed! I had a Falcon 56, the old tried and true trainer, right up there with a Sig Kadet. My 56 came with an option of 3-ch and a high dihedral, or 4-ch and a low dihedral. Although I'd never flown before, I opted for the 4-low option, which made it both more maneuverable and better handling. I scratched both wingtips during the first 5 landings, and another time inadvertently ran it beneath my car in the middle of a large field with a dirt road (can in too fast). After that, the next 160 flights were without incident, until the front wing dowel rod to which the wing attached broke. It'd become oil-soaked through a micro-crack. That was my last flight!

Shortly before my last flight, my father became interested and built a P6-E. The kit was only about $30 more expensive, and that was only for the cowling. Everything else was balsa. That puppy was NOT fun to fly (very high wing loading). About 18 years later, when he retired, he got into R/C flying and kept it up for about 10 yrs, mostly flying his and my own original designs.

Yeah, a new pistol if fun. Different kind of fun, though.

Keens

Replicas can be expensive indeed! I had a Falcon 56, the old tried and true trainer, right up there with a Sig Kadet. My 56 came with an option of 3-ch and a high dihedral, or 4-ch and a low dihedral. Although I'd never flown before, I opted for the 4-low option, which made it both more maneuverable and better handling. I scratched both wingtips during the first 5 landings, and another time inadvertently ran it beneath my car in the middle of a large field with a dirt road (can in too fast). After that, the next 160 flights were without incident, until the front wing dowel rod to which the wing attached broke. It'd become oil-soaked through a micro-crack. That was my last flight!

Shortly before my last flight, my father became interested and built a P6-E. The kit was only about $30 more expensive, and that was only for the cowling. Everything else was balsa. That puppy was NOT fun to fly (very high wing loading). About 18 years later, when he retired, he got into R/C flying and kept it up for about 10 yrs, mostly flying his and my own original designs.

Yeah, a new pistol if fun. Different kind of fun, though.

Since9, let's talk r/c planes when we meet up for an OC! Or PM me, I don't want to be rude to M-T for us derailing his thread talking about r/c aircraft :)

Last edited:

M-Taliesin

Since9, let's talk r/c planes when we meet up for an OC! Or PM me, I don't want to be rude to M-T for us derailing his thread talking about r/c aircraft :)

Howdy Keens!
That's alright, really it is. While everybody else gets distracted by R/C planes, they forget all about the gold that can be had with a metal detector. Ergo, leaving more for me to find!

So leave'em be, and leave all the gold to me!!! LOL.

Now if I just had a bit more time for detecting these days!

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

since9

Campaign Veteran
Imagine equipping an R/C aircraft with both a MAD (magnetic anomaly detector aka "metal dector"), GPS, and real-time reporting/mapping for both. You could overfly a battlefield. It wouldn't locate a single coin, but it would definitely depict a treasure chest. Might be enough to find a rifle.

How's that for integrating two apparently disparate topics?

Keens - I'd love to chat R/C with you. Aside from a 3-ch indoor electric helo, I've been out of it for quite a while, but I'd like to get back into it. Can't fly gas within 20 miles, but electrics are looking interesting. Might do gas helo, if I can find a cheap kit.

Last edited:

M-Taliesin

Howdy Pard!
Pretty nifty amigo! Pretty nifty indeed. And you could fly that thing over private property too without trespassing!
Of course, if it came down on their side of the property line, you're hosed! LOL!

There are outlaw stashes around the state I'd love to hunt down and find. Just one good'un could cement my retirement in gold!
I'd like to go after that sort of thing and find one, but most are on private property. Or in wild and remote areas where a gun isn't just handy to have, but a downright necessity. From rattle snakes to cougars, it can be a hazardous proposition.

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

Keens

Howdy Keens!
That's alright, really it is. While everybody else gets distracted by R/C planes, they forget all about the gold that can be had with a metal detector. Ergo, leaving more for me to find!

So leave'em be, and leave all the gold to me!!! LOL.

Now if I just had a bit more time for detecting these days!

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

R/C planes cost $$$! Metal detectin' Makes $$$! Especially when you find gold! :). You did mention last sat when we did OC around town that gold panning pays nothing compared to detecting! That is true, I might find about $25 in gold flakes in 4 hours, but that cold stream sure is worth it on a hot day!

Keens

Imagine equipping an R/C aircraft with both a MAD (magnetic anomaly detector aka "metal dector"), GPS, and real-time reporting/mapping for both. You could overfly a battlefield. It wouldn't locate a single coin, but it would definitely depict a treasure chest. Might be enough to find a rifle.

Keens - I'd love to chat R/C with you. Aside from a 3-ch indoor electric helo, I've been out of it for quite a while, but I'd like to get back into it. Can't fly gas within 20 miles, but electrics are looking interesting. Might do gas helo, if I can find a cheap kit.

Hello Since9!

I haven't flown R/C planes for a few years. I had a nitro .46 Piper Cherokee that crashed! My only one nitro r/c plane crash, lol! A sudden gust of wind forced the left wing to hit the runway and snapped it in half as I was about to touchdown for landing. Other was a Sig Kadet, just a basic trainer with a .40. Sadly, I scrapped both planes but saved the valuable things like engines, wheels n tires, electronics. I figured they are just a money pit and I'd rather have guns, however, I wish I could afford both! As for electric R/C aircraft, I lost one due to radio failed, it went down in someone's backyard, they weren't home when I knocked on the door to retrieve it. So I just left it, as I'm not gonna enter someone's private property without permission. I've tried those little indoor R/C heli's! They take some getting used to! The way you point the controller at the heli along with throttle and tail boom is a wonder at how far technology has gotten! I have a Traxxas Jato 3.3 truck too, also a money pit! Too fast, I'm looking to get rid of it! Rather have ammo!

Sorry M-T, R/C is fun to talk about, LOL!

Keens

since9

Campaign Veteran
Yes, too fun, Keens. I've also thought about building a 6ch* glider, trading in the engines and the oily mess for a long shock cord (rubber band). Armed with a fairly flat field and vehicle to which I can anchor the shock cord, I can self-launch for a good, two to five minute flight, and if I can catch a thermal or two, it'd be a much longer one.

* - Elevator, rudder, ailerons, spoilers, tow release, and camera actuation. Yep - after a few flights to get my sky legs back, I'd trust it with my pocket digital camera. :)

Might use an electric with a folding prop to get it aloft, operated on the catch release channel, as well.

Keens

Yes, too fun, Keens. I've also thought about building a 6ch* glider, trading in the engines and the oily mess for a long shock cord (rubber band). Armed with a fairly flat field and vehicle to which I can anchor the shock cord, I can self-launch for a good, two to five minute flight, and if I can catch a thermal or two, it'd be a much longer one.

* - Elevator, rudder, ailerons, spoilers, tow release, and camera actuation. Yep - after a few flights to get my sky legs back, I'd trust it with my pocket digital camera. :)

Might use an electric with a folding prop to get it aloft, operated on the catch release channel, as well.

Since9, I recently saw a YouTube vid of 400 mph R/C gliders! They whip them in circles in thermal conditions but close to the ground! They are made of carbon fiber and these pilots are good! The gliders look far more dangerous than a flying bullet! And wayyy too close to people whizzing by at 400! Gotta see the vid! M-T, when we gonna do some metal detectin'? There's gotta be tons of valuables under...I know where to go where rich people lose pricey things!

Keens

Keens

Last edited:

M-Taliesin

M-T, when we gonna do some metal detectin'? There's gotta be tons of valuables under...I know where to go where rich people lose pricey things!

Keens
Keens

Howdy Amigo!
How you feel about Tuesday? Up for that? Oh, you're probably working that day.
There is always next Saturday! How's that?

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

Keens

Howdy Amigo!
How you feel about Tuesday? Up for that? Oh, you're probably working that day.
There is always next Saturday! How's that?

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

Hello M-T,

I work m-f except Labor Day of course. A weekend is best for me.

I went shooting today, and got a bit beat up by a .500 mag! Holy Crap! It made my weekend!

Keens

Last edited: