• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Had an incident

rapgood

Great backronym, way to perpetuate that myth with your prowess. " spelling is correct/ said in context " Not trying to be derogatory.
Sigh. Both the strict translation of "sic" to "thus," and its use to mean "spelling is correct" are correct. Technically, the common use of "sic" is as an abbreviation for the Latin "scriptum in corporum" (which means “written in the body [of the original text]" and makes a great deal more sense than "thus"). So, I must disagree that the loose English translation of "sic" to "spelling is correct" is a backronym.

Sparky508

sic erat scriptum,

:eek:
I work with a guy that had this, he went to the doctor and it was cleared up with some antibiotics.....

:banana:

golddigger14s

Activist Member
The Latin adverb sic ("thus"; in full: sic erat scriptum, "thus was it written")[1] inserted after a quoted word or passage, indicates that the quoted matter has been transcribed exactly as found in the source text, complete with any erroneous or archaic spelling, surprising assertion, faulty reasoning, or other matter that might otherwise be taken as an error of transcription.

The notation's usual purpose is to inform the reader that any errors or apparent errors in quoted material do not arise from errors in the course of the transcription, but are intentionally reproduced, exactly as they appear in the source text. It is generally placed inside brackets to indicate that it is not part of the quoted matter.

Sic may also be used derisively, to call attention to the original writer's spelling mistakes or erroneous logic
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sic

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Grapeshot
I thought I was wrong once but was in error.

Only once?
Didn't say anything about being wrong twice did I? :p