• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Hampton Roads - OC reports

sst0185

OC'd Wal-Mart Lynnhaven last night and bought some 9mm ammo no problems.

Went to the Armory on Indian River road today and scored a new .45. :banana:

45acpForMe

t33j

Thanks, I found a good article: http://www.tacticaloperations.com/swatjun2001/

I planned to use gel but the seller said water was preferred. Since I can't disassemble my suppressor (Ti-Rant http://www.advanced-armament.com/product.aspx?pid=647) to get at the baffles I am hesitant to put something other than water in there. Does Lithium grease break down easily in solvent etc?

Watched a video of a guy who disassembled a Ti-Rant by boiling one end in water to help get rid of the loctite stuff on the threads. Looked like it'd be pretty easy to clean after that. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOeKSXno0CY

Hit the range at 12:30 this morning with my Dad... it's been over a month and it showed.

Last edited:

ocholsteroc

Quick question, last time I went to the range, like I do always, I clean my guns. I just check my rifles and they have copper fouling. I cleaned them each for 30 mins and used a brass brush. Why is there fouling a month later??? :shocker:

I OC on a 3 mile walk.

sst0185

Quick question, last time I went to the range, like I do always, I clean my guns. I just check my rifles and they have copper fouling. I cleaned them each for 30 mins and used a brass brush. Why is there fouling a month later??? :shocker:

I OC on a 3 mile walk.

Solvent will leach fouling out the pores of the steel a day or two after cleaning.

45acpForMe

Hk USP Tactical .45, seems you just got my next purchase. :banana::D

Well I picked up a Compact Tactical on vaguntrader a while back and it shot pretty well with the suppressor (better than the Sig). Both the Sig and H&K sites are blocked by the suppressor so I am considering the full size H&K Tactical with the raised sights.

I love my H&K's and Sig's so you can't go wrong getting one. The only thing about the full size Tactical version is that it doesn't fit inside my SERPA because of that front sight. I saw online in another thread where someone modified their SERPA with some PVC pipe to accomodate the sight. Not sure if I want to do the same or not.

The only reason I went with the compact tactical was that I was constantly outbid on the used full size ones. The CT became available on vaguntrader and I snapped it up. Of course shortly after that a few full size became available too. :)

Didn't get to OC today going between work and schools. Tomorrow is another day though. :)

Last edited:

sst0185

Hillsman Holster Company:question:

This is going to be a range gun for a while before I start to carry it, It is big.

fully_armed_biker

I finally got a response to my email to Kroger Corporate...it only took them 6 weeks. It's not exactly what I wanted to hear; but, it's progress. I emailed back to them asking for further clarification.

Here's their reply:
Dear Mr. XXXXX:

Thank you for contacting The Kroger Co. We received your email regarding our Conceal Carry policy. I would first like to apologize for the unsatisfactory shopping experiences and the problem you encountered with the store security officer. We pride ourselves on our excellent customer service and making each shopping trip convenient and comfortable. The Kroger Company follows state laws regarding the Conceal and Carry policies and may vary depending on the laws of the state in which you reside. We hope this information is helpful and I am going to forward your complaint over to the Store Director for review.

Please feel free to contact us again in the future regarding any comments or concerns you may have. Thank you for contacting us.

Sincerely,

XXXXX XXXXXXX
Consumer Affairs

In my complaint, I only referenced the "legal carry of firearms in Kroger stores." She obviously assumed I meant cencealed carry. Here's my response back to them...
Dear Ms. XXXXXX
I appreciate your reply. While I realize I failed to point out specifically, I was talking about the open carry of firearms as well as the concealed carry of them, where permitted by law. Both methods of carry are legal in many of the states you do business in, including the Commonwealth of Virginia, my home state. Although I have a concealed carry permit (A Concealed Handgun Permit in Virginia,) I prefer to carry my firearm openly. Concealed carry is a strictly reactive method of carry whereas the open carry of a firearm is a proactive method of carry. It is a proven fact that criminals choose their victims on the likelihood of the least amount of resistance. A concealed carrier looks like any other victim to the criminal and by the time the need arises to protect oneself with a firearm, the concealed carrier almost guarantees the need to pull the trigger. An open carrier, on the other hand, is a deterrent by the mere presence of his or her firearm. Criminals will automatically seek an easier target. As I've discussed with many law enforcement officers, it's not the gun you can see that you need to worry about, it's the one you can't see that you do. You will never see a criminal with a firearm strapped openly to his or her hip. Criminals are, by their very nature, cowards and need the element of surprise on their side. Criminals will conceal their firearm until they are ready to commit their crime. While it cannot be said that all concealed carriers are criminals, it can be said that no criminal openly carries a firearm.

Thank you,
XXXXX XXXXX
So, we'll see what their response is.
Went to the range the other night to try the new P11. It has a lllooonnnggg trigger pull and the slide release is still so tight the only way to release it is pull back on the slide...it only has 50 rounds through it so hopefully in time, things will loosen up a bit. On a good note, while I was loading the mag for the P11, my wife wanted to try my Colt Combat Commander M1991A1...she put her first three rounds in the "X" ring at 21' and turned to me and said, "I'm liking the .45!" :banana:
I may now end up having to get 2 Kimbers, one for me and one for her :mad:....well, if I gotta, I gotta :D!!!

45acpForMe

<snip> my wife wanted to try my Colt Combat Commander M1991A1...she put her first three rounds in the "X" ring at 21' and turned to me and said, "I'm liking the .45!" :banana:
I may now end up having to get 2 Kimbers, one for me and one for her :mad:....well, if I gotta, I gotta :D!!!

Nice letter. I have never had any problems at Kroger so hopefully it is a single store manager that is rogue and can be whipped back into line.

I always knew I liked her. :) It may take a while but many people come around to .45acp as a great choice. When I speak to people that shoot a 9 or 40 they often assume a 45 would be that much harder to control. For me it is easier to control than a 40 and on par with a 9.

I guess it looks like your wallet may be thin this Christmas if two kimbers will be showing up in your stockings. :monkey

Last edited:

fully_armed_biker

45acpForMe...
I told her Saturday at the gun show that since I was buying the P11 for her, I get the next gun. So I'll get mine and eventually, in the near future, she'll get hers. I've tried explaining the difference between the GI grip safety on both of my 1911's, and a beavertail grip safety and what that means to felt recoil and control. I know it's like trying to describe a color to someone that can't see so while we were at the gun show, I had her pick up a few 1911's with and without the beavertail. The first time she picked one up with, her reaction was, "Ooo that does feel good." So, next time we go to Bob's, in Norfolk, I'm going to rent the Custom II they have as a rental and let her shoot that. I've guaranteed her she won't be able to put it down.

BTW - Next weekend, LGC?

45acpForMe

BTW - Next weekend, LGC?

Yes LGC sound great! I still haven't shot my Sig522 and also want to try my Ti-Rant outdoors & wet. Either day could work for me but remember that Sunday is the end of daylight savings time. Let me know which day works for you.

PS: remind me and I will print/sign an application for you and when you are ready you can send it in.

t33j

45acpForMe...
I told her Saturday at the gun show that since I was buying the P11 for her, I get the next gun. So I'll get mine and eventually, in the near future, she'll get hers. I've tried explaining the difference between the GI grip safety on both of my 1911's, and a beavertail grip safety and what that means to felt recoil and control. I know it's like trying to describe a color to someone that can't see so while we were at the gun show, I had her pick up a few 1911's with and without the beavertail. The first time she picked one up with, her reaction was, "Ooo that does feel good." So, next time we go to Bob's, in Norfolk, I'm going to rent the Custom II they have as a rental and let her shoot that. I've guaranteed her she won't be able to put it down.

BTW - Next weekend, LGC?
Lemme know if you go to Bob's. I have an extremely accurate Kimber Custom II Target with a pretty nice trigger job that is a dream to shoot. You can borrow it and save $5 if you like.

fully_armed_biker

Lemme know if you go to Bob's. I have an extremely accurate Kimber Custom II Target with a pretty nice trigger job that is a dream to shoot. You can borrow it and save $5 if you like.

Sure will! I need to finish breaking in the P11 so it'll be at least a weekly event until I can run 4 or 5 hundred rounds through it. My wife's LadySmith .357 (Don't let the name fool you...the thing kicks a$$ and I carry it occasionally!) has an awsome trigger job on it...in single action if you breathe on the tigger it'll go off...yes, I'm exagerating...but not by much! It's got the big K frame so it's weight reduces felt recoil nicely. I'll bring it along too!

45acpForMe...will talk to the wife tonight and let you know whether next Saturday or Sunday is best for me.

ocholsteroc

Went to the gun range today, I shot off 65 rounds in my handgun, I was pretty mad with it. I have about 25 or so out of the 65 rounds I shot where failure to load, I talked to the range guy and he said you need to hold it better. I was letting the energy take off sideways and he said it needs to blow stright back not sideways. I listen to the advice and it started to work :) I am used to a rifle so that is why my recoil energy was going sideways. I never had a fail to fire or eject, just fail to load. He was very helpful and friendly, I need to hold it better with two hands. Using my left palm to grip the handgun grip to hold the energy stright in place not go sideways. Hes a expert :p I saw him nail 5 shots in a row at the bullseye. (4yards)

Last edited:

Mechman

Hampton Roads is a beautiful place to live!

I continue to open carry in countless business establishments in the Norfolk and Chesapeake areas with NO problems whatsoever. Folks do not even raise an eyebrow...at least not that I have seen.

As I have mentioned before much of people's reactions are in response to how you carry yourself. If you look people straight in the eye, smile, and say, "Good Morning!" - that helps a lot.

wolf-father

Good day open carrying everywhere in Chesapeake. Went to the wally world by Chesapeake Square mall and saw my first BMWAG (other then Danbus. I guess it could have been) did not get to talk to him he seemed to be in a hurry. He had an a bright orange hat so he was not hard to spot.