• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Hampton Roads - OC reports

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Oddly I just did a Google search on the range of the BRS on Friday. There are apparently many spiders that look like the BRS.

According to multiple websites, the HR area is NOT within the known range of the BR. Their range extends only barely into the western tip of VA.

Maybe it hitch hiked in for a visit. :uhoh:

Can't always believe what you hear or read. I tend to believe what I personally see though.

I once called and reported clearing my backyard of 5 baby cotton mouth moccasins, only to be told that there were none in the area. Oh well.

USNA69

It was a big parking lot, shared with many other shops. The bins are out IN the parking lot. I was never off of my motorcycle. Hard to claim a shared parking lot as government property.

A situation, which I had neglected to consider.
I took the opportunity to make a point which is often overlooked when considering the Post Office. The USPO law is different than the Federal Building law, as the USPO law includes the building AND the property.

johnfenter

Best thing to do...

Can't always believe what you hear or read. I tend to believe what I personally see though.

I once called and reported clearing my backyard of 5 baby cotton mouth moccasins, only to be told that there were none in the area. Oh well.

When somebody tells you that, find out where they are sitting, then go there and dump the box of dead snakes on their desk in front of them and ask if they still think there are "none in the area"....

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

When somebody tells you that, find out where they are sitting, then go there and dump the box of dead snakes on their desk in front of them and ask if they still think there are "none in the area"....

THAT is a response I shall remember! :lol:

1000ydshooter

Formerly Kwajalein atoll, and Iraq. Now Zuni Va
Hell, I got the skin of one as a hat band I have for reenacting,and pictures of it before I killed it in my koi pond. Been shooting them since a kid when I was fishing. On a different note Ill land in Norfolk May 25th. Finally home after being gone to a 2 admendment country for a year. Told my wife to bring my baby (1911) when she picks me up at the airport. Been carrying my portable radio on my right hip for the year to keep the feel of something being there. Wearing a kilt from Honolulu to Norfolk to piss the TSA off if they want to gate rape me. See what happens when I oc with the kilt. Looking forward to a oc dinner after I get home.

Last edited:

45acpForMe

Wearing a kilt from Honolulu to Norfolk to piss the TSA off if they want to gate rape me. See what happens when I oc with the kilt. Looking forward to a oc dinner after I get home.

Just watch out for those updrafts! :shocker:

Welcome home!
kilt.jpg

wylde007

Gosport Arts Festival

I spent Saturday with the family going to the Portsmouth "First Saturday" events at High Street and visiting the Naval Shipyard Museum and Lightship Portsmouth for their mini "Pirate" festival. I think one of the pirates had his eye on me, but he might just have thought me a rival privateer and wanted to keep his cache for hisself! ARRRR!

We also walked up and down many blocks among vendors and artisans taking in the sights of the festival. We certainly passed a number of Portsmouth police. Never an off-kilter glance or interaction. Just the way it should be. Talked to a friend of my wife's from back in high school who teaches at TCC at the art school. We talked guns for a little bit since he says he is in the studio sometimes until very late and the place is generally unsecured. He has been considering carrying for a while and says that the more he thinks about it the closer he gets.

It was a gorgeous day and nothing out of sorts in the least.

MSC 45ACP

Went to the Toys R Us by Chesapeake Square Mall and found this beauty on the door. (entry and exit)

For those of you that remember my plan to post this sign at some local businesses...
I DIDN'T DO IT AND YA AIN'T GOT ANY WITNESSES THAT CAN SAY I DID!!!

I still have the ONE I printed out. I've been wondering when and where I'll put it when the time comes...

:)

wolf-father

For those of you that remember my plan to post this sign at some local businesses...
I DIDN'T DO IT AND YA AIN'T GOT ANY WITNESSES THAT CAN SAY I DID!!!

I still have the ONE I printed out. I've been wondering when and where I'll put it when the time comes...

:)

I would say I am surprised that it has not been taken down but it looks like it belongs there. It took me a double take to stop and read it.

Freeflight

Campaign Veteran
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by 1000ydshooter
Wearing a kilt from Honolulu to Norfolk to piss the TSA off if they want to gate rape me. See what happens when I oc with the kilt. Looking forward to a oc dinner after I get home.

How did that work out for you... It's a real good Idea (I may steal it from you and employ that strategy myself)

MSC 45ACP

I've commented on a few things lately, but remiss in contributing my own adventures. OC'd all over lately. Last week at the Yorktown Victory Center, my son and I saw quite a few out-of-state school-aged kids. None of them seemed bothered or interested in the Kimber. When we were leaving, I met one of their bus drivers. He was a well-spoken black fellow from Cleveland that was very interested in 2A. He was a gun owner and shared his sadness about his state's gun laws and crime rate. I recommended he come here to retire. He actually seemed thoughtful about the idea! I gave him a handful of Ed's OC Cards. Time to re-stock, Ed. I'll contact you in the usual way when I get the chance.

Rite Aid, WallyWorld, Juan's Amazing Mexican Food (across the bridge in the Northern Territories), Target and a few other places I can't recall at the moment. I was looking for a specific toy for my son we've been having trouble finding, so I went "into the belly of the beast" (Toys R Us). I was pretty sure they had a sign, so I just "covered up" and went in. No alarms went off and my daughter asked "what if". I guessed it would result in a tresspassing charge at worst. I didn't look very hard at the front door signs as we entered. There wasn't anything at eyeball-level and being disabled; it's hard for me to bend over and see a lot of things that are at waist-level or lower.

I've been sitting in the passenger seat of my own car lately... Oldest daughter has FINALLY decided she wants to get her driver's license! She turns 20 in a few days and driving a car has never been on her list of things to do. Until recently. An inexperienced driver's habits are NOT the best thing for someone with a spinal injury.

apollosmom

Got a chuckle out of your comment regarding visiting the "Northern Territories"...to visit Juan's...the wifey and I find it the best bet of any of the three Mexican restaurants here, north of the Coleman Bridge Welcome to VDOT's nightmare of US17 construction zone. The staff is quite friendly and we've never had an OC (or cc) issue, not once. BTW, just north of Juan's, left side of 17, you'll find Tony & Milena's Italian...absolutely "Dee-lish-us"..also have never had an issue whilst OC. Despite our bad apples lately, we in Gloucester have quite a lot to be thankful for...2 gun stores and 2 pawn shops with fair selections...and law enforcement, county and state reps that are very 2A, and Rob Wittman...plus we're close to York County and LGC!

zoom6zoom

Working around the area this week. Lets see.... OC at Crowne Plaza Hotel on Bonney in VB, Chik-fil-A on VB Blvd (the walkup), Comfort Suites in Chesapeake; hotel clerk referred me to Chesapeake Pizza on Battlefield when I asked where to get the best pizza around there. It wasn't (or even close IMO), and they only took cash as well. I don't carry cash. Of course, they did have an ATM right there in the building. The kind that charges you an extra fee to use. I don't mind the fee that much, I don't like using off-network ATM's since I don't trust their data security. I rarely use one but try to use one of my bank's machines every time.

Today, popped in at the Armory to pick up some ammo. Yeah, they gave me the price from their web page since I had printed it out and brought it with me. Three cases of Yugo and Russian. So I've got over 3K rounds and an AK in the trunk. Would be a bad time for DHS to want to search the car, huh? (Rifle comes inside with me at night!)

Stopped at a gas station somewhere along Indian River to get some go-juice and put air in the tires. Helped a young couple do their tires as well, they didn't have a gauge. But at least I had quarters for the stupid air machine since I had to get cash to pay for last night's mediocre pizza. Anyplace still offer the use of the air pump for free? Haven't seen it in a while. Now the task is finding a place that charges fifty cents instead of a dollar.

Dinner this evening at the Lone Star on Crossways in Chesapeake. My medium was actually well done. They offered to replace it but I was too hungry to wait for a new one after working through lunch. So they gave me a 50% discount which was nice of them. (Still tipped on the full price!).

And of course I had to schlep down to the hotel lobby once again since the damn key cards keep getting erased. Must be my magnetic personality.

No comments or anything all day. The way it should be.

Last edited:

45acpForMe

... Today, popped in at the Armory to pick up some ammo. Yeah, they gave me the price from their web page since I had printed it out and brought it with me. Three cases of Yugo and Russian. So I've got over 3K rounds and an AK in the trunk. Would be a bad time for DHS to want to search the car, huh? (Rifle comes inside with me at night!)

And of course I had to schlep down to the hotel lobby once again since the damn key cards keep getting erased. Must be my magnetic personality.

The armory has been hit or miss (usually miss) when it comes to ammo for me. Usually anything I want has been out of stock. I guess that isn't unusual though these days. I had always wondered about carrying a rifle in my car when traveling but decided a pistol was easier to store/lock up when not being carried. I don't have a trunk on my Explorer.

Don't forget that Surfrider opened another restaurant near Greenbrier. I haven't been there but talked to people that said its the same menu & quality.