• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Hampton Roads - OC reports

ravonaf

imported post

MSC 45ACP wrote:
NOPE. Just the part to the RIGHT of the fishing pier (as you face the river). There is a brown sign in the park area to the rightwhere the picnic benches are. The sign has a list of things not allowed in the park. Firearms are on the list. Since its federal property, I would certainly follow the instructions on THAT sign. The battlefields are federal property of course. I've been OCing in the beach area a couple times a week and have had both local sheriffs and park police drive past me. I am positive they've seen my holstered pistol.
Excellent information to know. Thanks :)

MSC 45ACP

imported post

MSC 45ACP wrote:
NOPE. Just the part to the RIGHT of the fishing pier (as you face the river). There is a brown sign in the park area to the rightwhere the picnic benches are. The sign has a list of things not allowed in the park. Firearms are on the list. Since its federal property, I would certainly follow the instructions on THAT sign. The battlefields are federal property of course. I've been OCing in the beach area a couple times a week and have had both local sheriffs and park police drive past me. I am positive they've seen my holstered pistol.

http://www.nps.gov/PWR/customcf/apps/maps/showmap.cfm?alphacode=colo&parkname=Colonial%20National%20Historical%20Park
The link here shows the areas covered by the National Parks. Note that some parts of "Downtown" are NPS property, so be careful. f you stay in the area on the beach from the pier to the bridge, you should be ok for OC and CC...

EDIT: check the map key in the upper left corner, shaded green areas are NPS. Uncolored areas are not. Zoom in on Yorktown in the upper right corner of the map...

Mike

HardChrome

imported post

MSC 45ACP wrote:
MSC 45ACP wrote:

http://www.nps.gov/PWR/customcf/apps/maps/showmap.cfm?alphacode=colo&parkname=Colonial%20National%20Historical%20Park
The link here shows the areas covered by the National Parks. Note that some parts of "Downtown" are NPS property, so be careful. f you stay in the area on the beach from the pier to the bridge, you should be ok for OC and CC...

EDIT: check the map key in the upper left corner, shaded green areas are NPS. Uncolored areas are not. Zoom in on Yorktown in the upper right corner of the map...

Mike
This is all so confusing. If you have a CCW permit then you should be able to carry concealed period. Grrrr.

MSC 45ACP

imported post

Go back to the Bush Admin opening up carrying in National Parks before he left office and then someone else saying we couldn't. There are threads on this site that have the whole story. Be careful out there. I don't make stops on the roads while enroute to the downtown area. Maybe we should have an OC lunch or dinner at the Yorktown Pub or the Riverwalk resteraunt?

Hendu024

imported post

MirkoCrocop wrote:
Hendu024 wrote:
Also OC'd into Food Lion on Pleasant Valley Rd. Had the security guards eyeballin' me, but they didn't say anything. Got plenty of :what: from customers in the store. No words exchanged though, all non event places.

thats wierd Ive never been eyeballed before at that store and thats the location I do all my shopping at. The short chubby white security guard there talks with me about guns everytime he sees me in there hell track me down and talk. He carries a 6 inch .38 revolver. and the tall black guy has never so much as spoken a single word to me because he has already written me off as a non threat and therefore has no problem with me. I reckon Ive found the security there quite pleasant on pleasant valley food lion location. besides i reckon they dont mind having backup every once in awhile:celebrateoh and I walked into tong hoi opencarrying the same time some 40 year old guy open carrying walked out a while ago and we both walked by with surprised looks on our faces. I am 19 btw so if anybody sees a young filipino/irishkid with a red sox hat onoc'ing near pleasant valley rd. thats me.

oh and i also always go to the ihop on indian river and have never had a problem either
The guy with that long .38 just nodded towards me, but I had an older guy with a moustache follow me around for about 10 mins. No biggie. I'm surprised I haven't seen you there yet, if you see a tall guy also rockin' a Red Sox hat carrying a Glock, that's me. GO RED SOX! :celebrate

Freeflight

Campaign Veteran
imported post

MSC 45ACP wrote:
Go back to the Bush Admin opening up carrying in National Parks before he left office and then someone else saying we couldn't. There are threads on this site that have the whole story. Be careful out there. I don't make stops on the roads while enroute to the downtown area. Maybe we should have an OC lunch or dinner at the Yorktown Pub or the Riverwalk resteraunt?

I will sufferno one to tell me when and how to be able to protect myself and my family. Repeat. NO ONE. I am a free man, not a subject, slave, parrot or obaminoid.

Put that in your book....

Feeling fiesty today... not really targeting MSC 45ACP in any way... The words Go back to the Bush Admin opening up carrying in National Parks before he left office and then someone else saying we couldn't. Stick in my Craw...:cuss:

wylde007

imported post

denwego wrote:
Two unicorns in VA Beach in three hours... a beautiful thing to see.

First was at Wawa on Rosemont, an old fellow paying for gas at the counter.It's awesome to be in the Commonwealth on a warm day :celebrate
I'm surprised we haven't run into each other. I am in that Wawa around 9:30 AM every Saturday and/or Sunday morning with my dog.

Long hair in a ponytail. Dog looks like Santa's Little Helper from The Simpsons. Glock 19 in a SERPA.

MSC 45ACP

imported post

Went for my morning walk downtown Yorktown on the beach. Walked from Coleman Bridge to the fishing pier and back. Stopped a few times to sit and watch boats on the river, no one even :shock:eek:r :XwhenI went by. said hello to several people, had a long conversation with one of the Coastie instructors from the 41' boats that were tied up at the public piers for lunch. They are there around lunchtime every day. I used to CC there, now I OC. No comments or questions. Lot of folks on the beach. Going to be a busy weekend if the rain holds off.

denwego

imported post

I've got a do-not-patronize report for us.

My wife and I went to Chili's on Virginia Beach Blvd., the one in between the Independence and Rosemont exits. We sat down and started to look over the menus when the manager came over.

"Do you have a weapon with you?"

"Yes."

"Are you in law enforcement?"

"No."

"Then you need to put your gun in your car."

"I would prefer not to, because someone might see that I'm walking out with it and leaving it, which means they might be tempted to steal it out of my car."

"It's illegal to carry a gun in public."

"No, it's not."

"It's illegal to carry a gun and be around alcohol."

"No, it's not."

"Wait here, I'm making a phone call."

It was pretty obvious he was going to call the cops, who were going to tell him it's legal to OC in a restaurant, and then he was going to come in in a huff saying how it was private property and he wanted us to leave... you can smell these coming. We beat him to the punch; we called a waitress over, gave her a no guns-no business card, and told her that we'd be contacting corporate over the policy and informing the VCDL about it all. My wife was especially irritated, because she didn't care for the guy's condescending tone directed towards her as we were leaving.

We went to the Applebee's near Lynnhaven Mall, where we go while OC'ing almost every other week, and ate a great meal with great service. As I write and hear back from Chili's higher-ups, I'll post more.

denwego

imported post

We've openly carried to that Chili's twice in the past month with no problems before tonight. We've always thought their food was good, and we had received a gift card for our anniversary from a friend; it looks like it's going to sit unused until we either get word from their corporate or we find a different location that's convenient. I know there's one on Nimmo, and when we're in Hampton, we'll try the Mercury Blvd. one as well.

MSC 45ACP

imported post

The Chilis in MacArthur Mall is pretty good, too. I usually go to the one on Jefferson in Newport News near the airport. The food and service havealways been good there.

UNICORN sighting in Yorktown while walking on the beach. He was walking with his family and he saw me before I saw him. He was barely CC because his pistol was very obvious under his t-shirt. He didn't know it was legal to OC in Yorktown. I assured him it was. He told me about a conversation he'd had with a York County Deputy. The Deputy told him it was county property and carrying was ok. he found a park ranger later and the ranger told him he couldn't carry because it was ALL federal land. I assured him the park ranger was FOS. I reasoned with him abouthow much he had seen YCSO deputies down there and if it had been all federal land, they wouldn't have any jurisdiction. I handed him and his family the remainder of my OC cardsto share with friends and invited them to check out the web site and come to dinner next Thursday.

Saw 4 deputies on bikes while we were walking around. I had walked down the beach with my oldest daughter and my 2nd daughter had stayed on a bench near the dockmaster's office. She was trying not to be obvious when she overheard an elderly guy with a northernaccent come up to the deputies and point down the beach in the direction she knew my daughter and I had walked. She didn't hear the man's exact words, but she could tell he was upset about "the man with a gun" down the beach. I had already exchanged pleasantries with the deputies a few minutes before so I imagine they just educated the elderly MMM gangbanger about Virginia and our lack of silliness when it comes to OC.

6L6GC

imported post

went to the Walmart in Yorktown to get flowers and mother's day cards. Had my 4 year old grandson with me. Open carried the whole time. No problems. Later in the day I had to go to the Taco Bell in Yorktown for some make believe Mexican food. On the way there I stopped at the Rip's on Denbeigh.

I was 5th in line and by the time that I got to the counter I had been there for a while. There was a strange/creepy/possibly drunk fool standing there at the counter vainly trying to engage the cashier in conversation. He was on my left so I instinctly kept turned a little away from him. That put my Kimber 45 towards the counter.

After the lady rang up my stuff and I paid I headed for the door. Got about half way to the door and she yelled "Hey". Hey, what's that thing on your side?" It didn't take a propeller head to figure out to whom she was speaking, so, I turned around and said, "what? this?" "Yeah" she said. So I walked back over to the counter and turned so that she could see it.

I explained to her that it is a Kimber (brand) 45 ACP. She was impressed/excited. She said "is that legal?" Sure is I responded. There was about 4 people in line waiting to buy their stuff and I felt a little odd holding up the line but none of them seemed to mind. I pointed out to her that I have a gun every time I come in there. She said that she'd never noticed it before.

I explained that open carry in Virginia is perfectly legal and does not require a permit or license. I then explained that the only time one needs a license is if the gun is concealed. She said "that's so cool", then continued, "if I ever have any trouble in here I'll just have you to jump over on my side of the counter".
No problem I said. There was smiles all around except for the creepy/strange/possibly drunk guy who didn't like it that I was engaged in a conversation with the object of his desires whist he could not even get a nod.

Very positive event all around.

edited to correct a few typo's

HardChrome

imported post

6L6GC wrote:
I explained that open carry in Virginia is perfectly legal and does not require a permit or license.
Something that I say quite differently, but I don't see or hear it usually, is that it's not that a permit is not required, but that it doesn't exist.

I get asked if my gun is registered occasionally. My response is that registration doesn't exist. I give the same response for permits, licenses, etc. If we merely tell people that it's not required, it leads them to believe that we fall under some special rule or that it is optional in some way. I think we need to let the public know that we couldn't register or get a license to carry/own if we wanted to because it just doesn't exist anymore than a permit to breathe or eat does.

It's amazing just how many people are under impression that you have to have permission to carry a gun.

MSC 45ACP

imported post

OC'd today while shopping with family. First stop: Very busy McDonalds on Jefferson Ave in Newport News and Denbigh. A tour bus with Tennessee tags pulled in and disgorged its passengers. I was seated strong side out and several people saw me but no :shock:eek:r comments. Next stop: Patrick Henry Mall. Went in through Borders. Shopped in there for about 30 minutes and didn't see any :shock:either. Asked an employee for a certain book and he led me to the section. I don't think he even noticed my sidearm, even in a BLACK thumb-break holster worn over tan shorts and light green t-shirt. Went into the mall and walked all over for another 45 minutes. My wife saw another guy with a holster, but it was EMPTY. :uhoh: I asked her where she had seen him, because I had been looking in another direction. She said he was going the other way and he hadn't seen me, either. The rest of the trip was a non-event. Passed several mall security cops (all unarmed) and no reaction. I will continue to OC rather than CC. Gotta support the Movement!

sccrref

imported post

denwego wrote:
We've openly carried to that Chili's twice in the past month with no problems before tonight. We've always thought their food was good, and we had received a gift card for our anniversary from a friend; it looks like it's going to sit unused until we either get word from their corporate or we find a different location that's convenient. I know there's one on Nimmo, and when we're in Hampton, we'll try the Mercury Blvd. one as well.
I have eaten at the one you were at and the one at Nemo on several occassions. All while OCing. Never had a problem with either one. Totally agree with what you did. Let us know what you hear.

HardChrome

imported post

MSC 45ACP wrote:
Next stop: Patrick Henry Mall. Went in through Borders. Shopped in there for about 30 minutes and didn't see any :shock:either. Asked an employee for a certain book and he led me to the section. I don't think he even noticed my sidearm, even in a BLACK thumb-break holster worn over tan shorts and light green t-shirt. Went into the mall and walked all over for another 45 minutes. My wife saw another guy with a holster, but it was EMPTY. :uhoh: I asked her where she had seen him, because I had been looking in another direction. She said he was going the other way and he hadn't seen me, either. The rest of the trip was a non-event. Passed several mall security cops (all unarmed) and no reaction. I will continue to OC rather than CC. Gotta support the Movement!
Wow. That's nice to hear. Last time I did that I got asked to leave but that was a few years ago so I only conceal there now.

Pagan

imported post

I OC'd Friday night at the Cracker Barrel on Jefferson in Newport news, a few :shock:, but a non event and good service.

I also OC'd on Saturday at the Gloucester Walmart, the Wawa in Gloucester, the Pet Smart in Newport News and the Harley shop in Yorktown, no problems, it was nice.

Today the family and I went bowling in Yorktown at Victory lanes, while we were getting our shoes, a guy and his non english speaking wife noticed my pistol, and the guy asked me if I was a cop. I said "no", then he asked me if I was a bounty hunter,I said "no". Then he ask me why I was "wearing" a gun? I simply told him that" I am concerned for my personal safety, and it is my right as an American".

He then said "I can understand that", and proceeded to translate what I had said to his wife. He was friendly and we ended up bowling beside each other. A fewother people stared at me while bowling and chasing my 3 year old around,:lol:, but no problems and the manager was very polite. Good day to OC!