• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

handgun for girlfriend

SHOOTER13

imported post

noittinen wrote:
I have told her that I want to get her a gun. the nickel/ss and wood grips were her idea not mine. She has shot my bersa .380 and that was pushing it. I need to get her somthing that won't scare her and appeals to her aesthetically. She can't carry a gun on the army base she works at anyway.

I've been on TDY for the DoD up yer way...what base is she stationed at... Ft. Lewis ? You are correct, being in the Army and on the base, surrounded by weapons of all kinds, she cannot carry a gun for personal protection...which is messed up.

Anyway...if ya want to surprise her without actually picking a gun ahead of time, buy and wrap a toy pistol to put under the tree or to give as agift. She opens it, you both laugh and then you tell her you'll take her to buy one that fits her hand...and her shooting style / expertise. That's what I did with my wife ( SGTMAJ USA CID out of Ft. Belvior VA ) on our 20th anniversary. She finally settled on a Beretta 92fs Centurion...go figger

Tumbleweeds

imported post

The best advise is to take her to the gun store and let her pick it out.she's the one that will be shooting it.

Blkwdw86

imported post

It's a shame Rossi doesn't make small grip revolvers anymore, it would have been perfect for the specifications given. My mom used to have a Rossi .38 revolver, stainless steel, with 4 inch barrel she used as a duty weapon for security. She shot a Sharpshooter score with that gun after only shooting for a week, and it had these little tiny grips, maybe an inch wide and and inch and a half deep. She was tiny in stature with itty bitty hands, and didn't handle full size weapons well. Looking at Rossi's offerings now, they don't make an equivalent gun anymore. You might be able to find one used, but it'll be a tough search; women REALLY love those guns.

Here's one I found on Gunbroker, a nice piece at a good price: http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=118188794

opusd2

imported post

No matter how good a shot she is, just remember that a gift of one will open doors. She will most likely want to join you more in shooting activities, but remember to call when you are coming home late instead of just sneaking in. It's just a feeling...