• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Handgun Registration Repeal question

Small_Arms_Collector

You did not recall correctly. I did not say "I" got out of a car, go back and reread before spouting off.

Are you willing to bet on the 500 you were talking about earlier vs a MI pistol on accuracy, speed, mag capacity and see which is better? Have you ever been making a delivery and had multiple people hijack your load? This happened in Wayne county last year as well as other parts of the state. My insurance agent said there were over 800 hijacking last year nationwide? Maybe we should ban deliveries?

Many people use the "Magic MI pistol", sorry you feel the need to throw them under the bus to save a stamp.

I guess saving .50 on a stamp so you can be "free" to not be able to use an entire class of guns must make sense to somebody.

It's not about saving a stamp it's about getting rid of registration.

As I mentioned before the odds of you actually having to use a "Michigan Pistol", or even being able to are so absurdly remote as to hardly be worth mentioning. In each example you mentioned the "Michigan Pistol" would only have been of utility had it already been IN YOUR HAND, not in your car, or are you suggesting that it's practical in a fight to climb back in to your car to retrieve your "Michigan Pistol", than to just use the pistol you have on you? A gun locked in your car while you are on foot is as useful to you in a fight as the guns at home in your safe. Do you carry your "Michigan Pistol" out of the car with you everywhere you go? It would also be next to impossible to use within your car, have you ever tried to use a long gun inside of a car?, go ahead try it, go sit in your car, buckle in as you would be while driving, and have your "Michigan Pistol" in whatever position you would generally have it in, now see if you can get it in to play. How long did that take you?, now try that same drill with your pistol, and tell me which is the better choice for use inside a vehicle. The only time a "Michigan Pistol" would actually be useful is in a protracted fight in which you have time to retrieve it, it's practical to do so, and you have someone to cover you, and outside of Hollywood that is not going to happen (assuming you are not knowingly going in to a fight), and even if it did if you have time to retrieve a "Michigan Pistol" than you likely also have time to uncase, and load a rifle that is not a "Michigan Pistol". The same goes in a scenario where you have to walk home through hostile territory, which is also very unlikely.

Name ONE incident where a "Michigan Pistol" has ever been used in a fight while it was being carried in a vehicle.

The miniscule number of people who actually carry "Michigan Pistols" in their cars is nothing compared to the 10,000,000 Michigan residents who's rights are violated by registration. Your insistence that EVERYONE ELSE'S rights be violated just so you personally can continue to enjoy a privilege others can't is no different than the fudds who want to throw everyone else under the bus just so they can keep their obsolete (from the factory, after all it's based on an 1898 design) deer rifles just a little while longer.

Small_Arms_Collector

Why is that? We do live in a modern society capable of measuring and manufacturing very precise things all the time.

Take the word firearm out of your sentence, and leave it blank, insert whatever you want in the blank, and see if it still makes sense.

Only a fool would attempt to manufacture a _______ to be the specific length

Because as it heats or cools it will expand, or contract. It is possible to make it exactly 16 inches, but as soon as the temperature changes it will expand, or contract, and since in order to be legal it would have to be EXACTLY 16 inches at all times it would be impossible, it doesn't matter if the change is just .00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000001 inches, or less, ANY deviation from 16 inches would put you in violation of the law. Also if the method of measuring the barrel were the slightest bit out of calibration it would also effectively put you in violation.

Small_Arms_Collector

Were the few months in the scrap yard recently?
I know delivery people that have died in the last few years.
It isn't 1 guy robbing people using a 22 anymore.
People up north have animal threats. I am not sure what you are not understanding.
Are you certain you will be able to survive 5 guys with long guns and you with only a glock? I know a person that did not.

Are you going to able to deploy a long gun inside a vehicle?

Super Trucker

It's not about saving a stamp it's about getting rid of registration.

As I mentioned before the odds of you actually having to use a "Michigan Pistol", or even being able to are so absurdly remote as to hardly be worth mentioning. In each example you mentioned the "Michigan Pistol" would only have been of utility had it already been IN YOUR HAND, not in your car, or are you suggesting that it's practical in a fight to climb back in to your car to retrieve your "Michigan Pistol", than to just use the pistol you have on you? A gun locked in your car while you are on foot is as useful to you in a fight as the guns at home in your safe. Do you carry your "Michigan Pistol" out of the car with you everywhere you go? It would also be next to impossible to use within your car, have you ever tried to use a long gun inside of a car?, go ahead try it, go sit in your car, buckle in as you would be while driving, and have your "Michigan Pistol" in whatever position you would generally have it in, now see if you can get it in to play. How long did that take you?, now try that same drill with your pistol, and tell me which is the better choice for use inside a vehicle. The only time a "Michigan Pistol" would actually be useful is in a protracted fight in which you have time to retrieve it, it's practical to do so, and you have someone to cover you, and outside of Hollywood that is not going to happen (assuming you are not knowingly going in to a fight), and even if it did if you have time to retrieve a "Michigan Pistol" than you likely also have time to uncase, and load a rifle that is not a "Michigan Pistol". The same goes in a scenario where you have to walk home through hostile territory, which is also very unlikely.

Name ONE incident where a "Michigan Pistol" has ever been used in a fight while it was being carried in a vehicle.

The miniscule number of people who actually carry "Michigan Pistols" in their cars is nothing compared to the 10,000,000 Michigan residents who's rights are violated by registration. Your insistence that EVERYONE ELSE'S rights be violated just so you personally can continue to enjoy a privilege others can't is no different than the fudds who want to throw everyone else under the bus just so they can keep their obsolete (from the factory, after all it's based on an 1898 design) deer rifles just a little while longer.

Who said anything about sitting on a car? Look at my screen name and think real hard about what I do for a living. I know 2 guys that have used MI pistols while makeing deliveries, you seem like you are not thinking very far outside of YOUR daily schedule.
Please explain how mailing a ******* paper in is causing people physical harm.
Again I agree registration sucks but this bill had too much fail included.

Would you be willing to bet that nobody has used a MI pistol that was carried in a vehicle?

Last edited:

stainless1911

Banned
Because as it heats or cools it will expand, or contract. It is possible to make it exactly 16 inches, but as soon as the temperature changes it will expand, or contract, and since in order to be legal it would have to be EXACTLY 16 inches at all times it would be impossible, it doesn't matter if the change is just .00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000001 inches, or less, ANY deviation from 16 inches would put you in violation of the law. Also if the method of measuring the barrel were the slightest bit out of calibration it would also effectively put you in violation.

Removed misleading & inaccurate information. SB

+1 Depending on the type.

Last edited by a moderator:

HKcarrier

Who said anything about sitting on a car? Look at my screen name and think real hard about what I do for a living. I know 2 guys that have used MI pistols while makeing deliveries, you seem like you are not thinking very far outside of YOUR daily schedule.

Would you be willing to bet that nobody has used a MI pistol that was carried in a vehicle?

They don't call em truck guns for nuthin! :D

I don't think most people would carry a Mi. Pistol with the intent of returning to the vehicle to retrieve it... but more being CHASED back to the vehicle... or being stopped... or riots... or road blocks...etc...

I agree though, there's not MUCH use for em... but I still want one anyway. ;)

stainless1911

Banned
They don't call em truck guns for nuthin! :D

I don't think most people would carry a Mi. Pistol with the intent of returning to the vehicle to retrieve it... but more being CHASED back to the vehicle... or being stopped... or riots... or road blocks...etc...

I agree though, there's not MUCH use for em... but I still want one anyway. ;)

Or being chased while driving the vehicle.

Shadow Bear

Michigan Moderator
You don't gut the barrel down, you cut the stock. If you go to the .000 you would be fine, and that can be done using a standardized measurement by a certified professional. Ever seen that tag on a gas pump? Official weights and measurements have been established.

You keep saying that, and we have to keep correcting you. It is a physical impossibility to make something that everyone will measure EXACTLY the same. There is too much variation in the person, method & tool to get perfect correlation. It is a proven scientific fact, not open to debate.

Posting inaccurate opinions is detrimental to the cause, and may incline some innocent reader to try it, and end up with a serious, life changing problem. We owe it to the reader to be as factually accurate as possible. Google 'Measurement System Analysis' or 'Measurement System Evaluation', and see how many hits you get.

So, stop spreading inaccurate information.

Last edited by a moderator:

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
I think we need to face facts here, with the coming change to the length of what determines a MI Pistol, anything that is exactly 26" long, that has a shoulder stock, will be a MI SBR. And that is likely what the legislators intended.

Small_Arms_Collector

Truck, or car, what I said applies to either.

"Use" does not mean merely having it in their cab, did they actually take it out of the cab with them when they exited?

Your still not getting it, it's not about mailing the registration, it's about needing government permission to exercise a right, and then having to register. What business is it of the governments what pistols I own, and what has the purpose of registration been historically?

Your arguing that we should continue to infringe upon the freedom of 10,000,000 people (and potentially put their lives in danger should a criminal get a hold of the registration data AKA shopping list) just so MAYBE a few thousand (more likely a couple hundred) can continue to exercise a right that no one else in the state will be able to. How is that different than the fudds who support banning "Assault Weapons", pistols, and anything else the antis want just so they can keep their antiquated (again were talking 1898 technology, and a bad version at that) deer rifles just a while longer?

Yes I would take that bet, name ONE incident where a Michigan Pistol which was carried in a vehicle was actually successfully used defensively.

Now tell me how a pistol, or technical pistol (AR pistols, etc.) could not have been used just as effectively.

HKcarrier

I will say, on the plus side, if mich pistols go away, I will be considering procuring a rifle caliber pistol. SuperTrucker... you could just get an ACTUAL AR or AK pistol if the mi-pistol goes away... still a decent truck gun...