• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Happy verterns day

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
They get a cookie also, many veterans over the years were illiterate but still signed on to fight for their country with their life if required, they deserve a cookie also.

Correct, even my ancestor William Storrs, who was not illiterate but underage yet still signed up to fight after lying about his age and changing his name.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Correct, even my ancestor William Storrs, who was not illiterate but underage yet still signed up to fight after lying about his age and changing his name.

I wonder if other governments were as unconcerned about perjury when it gives them cannon-fodder?

Did your ancestor have any trouble collecting benefits with the false name?

amlevin

Thank you Orphan. You have heard this before, but I must say it again.
Veterans, when they raise their hand, "I (state your name) do solemnly swear........" , sign that blank check that offers up everything to include ones life. The situation can collect on that check at any time whether it is in kandahar, saigon or downtown bellingham. You never know when the bill will come due. A Veteran, no matter how long they serve, or where they serve, says "Sure, fair trade, my life for the Freedom of the Republic." That is what today is about. Honoring those who stand at Freedoms Gate and say" No, you must go through me first."

And to add, all those who took the Oath at the end of their service never "untook" it. As one who raised his hand, I still feel the meaning of the first words "I, _____, do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic;".

It's sad that today the Constitution has more than it's share of "domestic enemies".