• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

HB 52: Failure to carry concealed handgun permit.

Repeater

imported post

ProShooter wrote:
Repeater - Please tell me who this Roanoke officer is so that I may offer him an instructor position! :)

His responses are word for word what I tell my students. As I read those paragraphs, I thought someone had copied one of my lectures. If anyone has every taken my Introduction to Concealed Carry in Virgnia class, you will hear the exact same thing. Kudos to that officer for his intelligence and excellent responses!

Please everyone, commit what that officer has said to your memory banks.
Well, easy enough:

http://roavapd.blogspot.com/

His Blog Bio:

This is the blog of a street cop and what my shifts are like. I'm a police officer in the City of Roanoke, Virginia. I have 10 years experience as a cop. I thought I could use Blogger to share what my shifts are like. I hope the community can get a better understanding of what life is like as a cop as well as give future cops an idea of what it's about.
Contact Me
Ask a Cop

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
imported post

Repeater wrote:
ProShooter wrote:
Repeater - Please tell me who this Roanoke officer is so that I may offer him an instructor position! :)
He seems very professional. Read his blog entry as he responds to some misinformation from the Roanoke Times Dan Casey:

DWI Explained

There was half a joint right there on the floor.

That trooper knew he had me. And as soon as I saw it, I knew it, too.

In the next few seconds a bunch of thoughts ran through my head. First, that joint was NOT mine. Second, this was MY MOM'S car. She didn't smoke pot. How the heck did it get there?

I thought (very unkindly) of my 8-years-younger brother, who used that car occasionally, and how I was going to get busted for something he'd left there. And how the cop would never believe that excuse.

I even thought of a few occasions that I could have been (but was not) arrested for things I HAD possessed from time time (which we won't go into here). Karma bites, I thought. I'm finally getting busted, even though I'm totally innocent, and nobody is going to believe me.

Comment by Dan Casey — October 9, 2009 @ 1:47 pm

Soooo, what do you think squeaky cleanDan put on his coveted CHP application form about his prior Mary Jane usage?

TFred

imported post

ProShooter wrote:
Repeater wrote:
ProShooter wrote:
He seems very professional. Read his blog entry as he responds to some misinformation from the Roanoke Times Dan Casey:

DWI Explained

In the next few seconds a bunch of thoughts ran through my head. First, that joint was NOT mine. Second, this was MY MOM'S car. She didn't smoke pot. How the heck did it get there?

I thought (very unkindly) of my 8-years-younger brother, who used that car occasionally, and how I was going to get busted for something he'd left there. And how the cop would never believe that excuse.

I even thought of a few occasions that I could have been (but was not) arrested for things I HAD possessed from time time (which we won't go into here). Karma bites, I thought. I'm finally getting busted, even though I'm totally innocent, and nobody is going to believe me.

Soooo, what do you think squeaky cleanDan put on his coveted CHP application form about his prior Mary Jane usage?
Court records are still open to the public, if someone knows where he lives, just go down to the court clerk's office for that jurisdiction, pay your 50 cents or whatever, and get a copy of the application. I have to say, it would be rather amusing if he purjured himself!

TFred

ProShooter

imported post

TFred wrote:
ProShooter wrote:
Repeater wrote:
ProShooter wrote:

DWI Explained

Court records are still open to the public, if someone knows where he lives, just go down to the court clerk's office for that jurisdiction, pay your 50 cents or whatever, and get a copy of the application. I have to say, it would be rather amusing if he purjured himself!

TFred
Dan will claim poetic license in his article.

TFred

imported post

ProShooter wrote:
TFred wrote:
ProShooter wrote:
Repeater wrote:
ProShooter wrote:

DWI Explained

TFred
Dan will claim poetic license in his article.
I assume that as well.... but if it got some publicity, corroborating testimony might emerge...

Probably not worth the effort, however.

TFred

simmonsjoe

imported post

TFred wrote:
ProShooter wrote:
Repeater wrote:
ProShooter wrote:

DWI Explained

TFred
I am confused, as I thought the application asked if you habitually abused Marijuana? One charge habitual abuse cannot make?

ProShooter

imported post

simmonsjoe wrote:
TFred wrote:
ProShooter wrote:
Repeater wrote:
ProShooter wrote:

DWI Explained

TFred
I am confused, as I thought the application asked if you habitually abused Marijuana? One charge habitual abuse cannot make?

Well by Dan's own admission, he says "a few occassions" and "things" he had possessed, so it was more than once.

Also, the wording on the CHP application is....

[align=left][/align]

[align=justify]ARE YOU ADDICTED TO
, OR AN UNLAWFUL USER OR DISTRIBUTOR OF MARIJUANA OR ANY CONTROLLED SUBSTANCE? [/align]

Not whether or not you were ever charged. Now one could argue the "were you" in the past vs. "are you" in the present tense but I say once a user, always a user. Some people just aren't "active" users.

TFred

imported post

Despite the non-threatening and common sense nature of this particular bill, it was one of the half a dozen or so that were killed in the "Sasslaw Slaughter of 2010", where Sasslaw and Marsh purposely violated the Virginia Senate rules to kill a handful of what they perceived to be pro-gun bills without due legislative process.

In the most recent VCDL VA-ALERT Newsletter, one of the cited articles mentions cases of Texas Concealed Handgun Permits being revoked, primarily for the "crime" of carrying a handgun without having the permit with the carrier.

That is exactly what HB-52 was designed to prevent.

I'm hoping that Delegate Cole will introduce it again next year, and every year until this joke of a Democrat controlled Senate are tossed out on their ... you know whats.

See bold text near the end of the article below.

TFred

12. EDITORIAL: Guns in the saloon

Actually, this article uses "saloon" in the title, but is pro-gun - pretty rare:

http://tinyurl.com/yfgwb2g

http://www.washingtontimes.com

EDITORIAL: Guns in the saloon

Virginians have a right to defend themselves

By THE WASHINGTON TIMES

Someone who is drunk shouldn't be handling a gun, but that doesn't
justify a ban on concealed carrying in all places that serve alcohol.
On Tuesday, the Virginia House of Delegates joined the state Senate
and voted 72-to-27 to overturn this ban. Gov. Robert F. McDonnell's
signature is all that stands in the way of getting rid of this
dangerous restriction.

Over the past two decades, a sweeping wave of freedom has allowed more
citizens to carry concealed handguns. States have realized that there
is little reason to restrict the carrying of concealed handguns by
those who have received permits. Forty states currently allow
concealed handguns to be carried in places that serve alcohol. None of
the states that have allowed this freedom has cause to reverse the
decision.

The facts are clear. Despite misleading claims to the contrary by the
Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence and the Violence Policy Center,
permit holders are law-abiding individuals who are extremely careful
with their guns. This general rule applies in states that allow
concealed handguns in bars. Permit holders simply haven't been getting
liquored up and harming others through irresponsible conduct. Virginia
hasn't had any problem with open carry in restaurants, so it's hard to
understand why anyone thinks there could be a problem with concealed
handguns.

Take Florida and Texas, two states that allow concealed handguns in
bars. Between Oct. 1, 1987, and Jan. 31, 2010, Florida issued permits
to more than 1.7 million people. Only 167 have had their permits
revoked for any firearms-related violations. That is a minuscule
0.0098 percent revocation rate. The vast majority of those revocations
were not for violence, but merely for accidentally carrying a gun into
a gun-free zone. During the past 16 months, there was only one
incident involving a firearms-related violation.

The numbers are similar in Texas. Over the five years from 2002 to
2006, the average rate at which permit holders were convicted of a
misdemeanor or a felony was 0.04 percent. In 2006, the most frequent
reason for revocation involved permit holders carrying a concealed
handgun without keeping their licenses on them.
The forthcoming third
edition of "More Guns, Less Crime" shows that in other right-to-carry
states, permit holders are just as law-abiding. That book finds no
evidence that revocation rates are any higher in states that allow
permitted handguns in taverns.

What gun prohibitions do is create dangerous gun-free zones - places
where criminals intent on harming others feel confident they can
commit crimes with impunity. A criminal who takes his gun into a
gun-free zone knows that the good law-abiding citizens, his victims,
are sitting ducks. A government that maintains laws like that is not
looking after the interests of its citizens.

It's past time for the commonwealth to take aim at counterproductive
laws that endanger Virginians. With a flick of his pen, Mr. McDonnell
can correct this problem and modernize Virginia's right-to-carry law.