• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

HB 937 hold your nose

American Patriot

I dropped my NCSA membership when they sponsored legislature to give LE access to ones medical meds, after being a member and supporter for a few decades.

XD40sc

Sure seems like the OC crowd would love to see HB937 thrown under the bus over the PPP issue alone, and could give a tinkers damn about the 20+ pro-gun (granted for mostly for CC) that is in the bill. The majority of this bill is a positive for carry,

Yes, the PPP needs to become history, but come back with a separate bill and address this. Some sheriff's keep it simple and do only what the law stipulates, and others seem to love screwing with people and make their own draconian rules, or stupid limitations like 2 a year.

We will never have true constitutional carry like VT, too many freaking libturds that have been brainwashed by the minister of irrational fear in Washington, so pick your battles, and fight others at a different time, or with a different tactic. All the gains in the bill are going to be thrown under the bus over one non-carry issue, stupid to a fault.

Last edited:

carolina guy

This is what happens when you trust lobbyists!

But hey you can bypass all that by giving a instructor YOUR hard earned money JUST so you can buy a handgun without hassle using a CHP.

Even if you never intended on carrying in the first place. And that lobbyist uses buying a handgun with a CHP as his selling point.

It is time good honest gun owners bypass the lobbyist and start pushing the politicians yourself. Because as long as you trust somebody else to do it for you, YOU are going to get screwed.

If GRNC does not come out hard pushing against this, and I mean very hard, gun owners have clear picture of his agenda.

Just on a quick reading, it looks like the bill does have a good side benefit that it limits what the Sheriff can charge per permit issued:

(e) The sheriff shall charge for the sheriff's services upon issuing the license or permit a fee of five dollars ($5.00). There shall be no limit as to the number or frequency of permit
applications and no other costs or fees other than provided in this subsection shall be charged
for the permit, including, but not limited to, any costs for investigation, processing, or medical
background checks by the sheriff or others providing records to the sheriff.

On the counter side, it does now give the Sheriff the ability to revoke a permit for a condition that would have prohibited the original issuance.

Also, the way that I read this is that ALL city/county offices will no longer be able to prohibit carry unless there is a court room present in the building:

SECTION 6. G.S. 14-415.23 reads as rewritten:
"§ 14-415.23. Statewide uniformity.
(a) It is the intent of the General Assembly to prescribe a uniform system for the
regulation of legally carrying a concealed handgun. To insure uniformity, no political
subdivisions, boards, or agencies of the State nor any county, city, municipality, municipal
corporation, town, township, village, nor any department or agency thereof, may enact
ordinances, rules, or regulations concerning legally carrying a concealed handgun. A unit of
local government may adopt an ordinance to permit the posting of a prohibition against
carrying a concealed handgun, in accordance with G.S. 14-415.11(c), on local government
buildings and their appurtenant premises.

(b) A unit of local government may adopt an ordinance to prohibit, by posting, the
carrying of a concealed handgun on municipal and county recreational facilities that are
specifically identified by the unit of local government. If a unit of local government adopts
General Assembly Of North Carolina Session 2013 such an ordinance with regard to recreational
facilities, then the concealed handgun permittee may, nevertheless, secure the handgun in
a locked vehicle within the trunk, glove box, or other enclosed compartment or area within or
on the motor vehicle.

(c) For purposes of this section, the term "recreational facilities" includes only the
following: a playground, an athletic field, a swimming pool, and an athletic facility.
(1) An athletic field, including any appurtenant facilities such as restrooms,
during an organized athletic event if the field had been scheduled for use
with the municipality or county office responsible for operation of the park
or recreational area.
(2) A swimming pool, including any appurtenant facilities used for dressing,
storage of personal items, or other uses relating to the swimming pool.
(3) A facility used for athletic events, including, but not limited to, a
gymnasium.

(d) For the purposes of this section, the term "recreational facilities" does not include
any greenway, designated biking or walking path, an area that is customarily used as a
walkway or bike path although not specifically designated for such use, open areas or fields
where athletic events may occur unless the area qualifies as an "athletic field" pursuant to
subdivision (1) of subsection (c) of this section, and any other area that is not specifically
described in subsection (c) of this section."

415.11(c) currently says:

(c) Except as provided in G.S. 14‑415.27, a permit does not authorize a person to carry a concealed handgun in any of the following:
(1) Areas prohibited by G.S. 14‑269.2, 14‑269.3, and 14‑277.2.
(2) Areas prohibited by G.S. 14‑269.4, except as allowed under G.S. 14‑269.4(6).
(3) In an area prohibited by rule adopted under G.S. 120‑32.1.
(4) In any area prohibited by 18 U.S.C. § 922 or any other federal law.
(5) In a law enforcement or correctional facility.
(6) In a building housing only State or federal offices.
(7) In an office of the State or federal government that is not located in a building exclusively occupied by the State or federal government.
(8) On any private premises where notice that carrying a concealed handgun is prohibited by the posting of a conspicuous notice or statement by the person in legal possession or control of the premises.

14-269.2 Campus or other educational property.
14-269.3 Assemblies and establishments where alcoholic beverages are sold and consumed.
14-277.2 Parades.
14-269.4 Weapons on certain State property and in courthouses.
120-32.1 covers the General Assembly grounds.

papa bear

getting rid of the PPP was the only thing that this bill had that didn't make it a real stinker. it is my understanding that it not only kept the stupid racist bigoted abused PPP. but did nothing to make sure the sheriffs obeyed the law, period.

this was a pro privilege law. that did nothing for OC. mater of fact it went out of the way to keep people from the rights of gun carry.

i don't really feel like celebrating. looks like the right to carry got screwed again

carolina guy

getting rid of the PPP was the only thing that this bill had that didn't make it a real stinker. it is my understanding that it not only kept the stupid racist bigoted abused PPP. but did nothing to make sure the sheriffs obeyed the law, period.

this was a pro privilege law. that did nothing for OC. mater of fact it went out of the way to keep people from the rights of gun carry.

i don't really feel like celebrating. looks like the right to carry got screwed again

I think it wouldn't take too much for a smart attorney to make the argument that the CC mentions in the law show there is no "compelling state interest" that would make it Constitutional to restrict OC...

WalkingWolf

I think it wouldn't take too much for a smart attorney to make the argument that the CC mentions in the law show there is no "compelling state interest" that would make it Constitutional to restrict OC...

They already have, state parks, CC only. Now carry in certain places CC or carry only with permit. It will continue restricting carry in every public and private place with permit only until OC is outlawed. By then the GA will be liberal, the courts will be liberal. And Kerner V State will be trashed.

And the elitist special card carriers will be the ones responsible not the politicians. What was it that Forest Gump said "Stupid is as stupid does".

XD40sc

We don't have constitutional carry, likely never will.

In the meantime those that OC and CC have chosen to arm themselves for defense of self and family. It is not elitist to get a CHP, it is a choice, and it is common sense that the person with a CHP can defend themselves in more places than the person without.

If choosing to have the option of being legally able to defend yourself in more places is elitist, then then the person that OC's is also an elitist, just not in as many places.

Jamesm760

They already have, state parks, CC only. Now carry in certain places CC or carry only with permit. It will continue restricting carry in every public and private place with permit only until OC is outlawed. By then the GA will be liberal, the courts will be liberal. And Kerner V State will be trashed.

And the elitist special card carriers will be the ones responsible not the politicians.What was it that Forest Gump said "Stupid is as stupid does".

Really? If it even gets that far, (which I doubt it ever will) It will not be the CHP holders fault. It will be all those who didn't do anything to prevent it. I'm all for pointing out problems, but at least when I point them out I also provide possible solutions.

What are YOU doing, (besides OCing, and posting these attacking posts towards people that have CHPs) to promote legal constitutional carry without restrictions?? What ever it is, let me know, I would also like to begin doing something more than OCing and spreading knowledge on constitutional carry.

I agree with you wolf, but how can we do more? Who do I contact? Let's schedule a march to make people aware. Let me know, I will do it. At the end of the day, we are all here because we support the 2ndA.

WalkingWolf

We DO have constitutional carry in this state, read the NC constitution. It has also been affirmed by NC Supreme court, but that court has changed it's makeup. The GA long ago successfully ignored the courts ruling by banning constitutional carry in certain places. And the gun owning public allows it.

When one class of people are given special privileges that are rights taken from another it is elitist. The problem is not so much with the elitism, but the false sense of power and accomplishment. That will one day be forever gone, there is no doubt about that unless the right is reaffirmed and restored to what it was intended. This is not going to happen for me, I will not be here very much longer. It is why it is a passion for me.

The NC General Assembly WILL become more progressive, that is what government does. And it will become anti gun, anti 2A, more so than now. It is how the pendulum swings. With privileges based on GA law instead of the constitution YOU WILL lose your gun rights. Just like Europe, just like Australia. Sooner or later US justices will die or step down, and progressive government will appoint progressive judges. Look around the world, open your eyes. We are the only civilized country left with not only solid bill of rights but the right to bear arms. Other countries have some rights but they are extremely limited.

The lobbyists are taking you(public) for a ride, if you trust them it will eventually be a disaster. The leader our state supposed 2A organization has admitted his hatred towards open carriers. And he goes along laughing at you(general) to the bank. Bypass the lobbyists. Use phones, email, snail mail whatever it takes to get your voice across. Use any means to educate gun owners that they are playing with fire with that false feeling of security from a plastic covered card.

I understand that some people feel compelled to have a CHP, and not all holders are elitist. But if you have one for that special feeling of power that others do not have YOU are a elitist. The NRA brought you gun control, they need gun control to grow. Same with GRNC. States like Vermont, do not need NRA or a state org. Everybody saw what happened in Illinois, the people had a choice, and they were bamboozled by ISRA and NRA into a terrible law because of fear mongering

IF YOU DON'T EXERCISE AND FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS AS RIGHTS YOU WILL LOSE THEM. That is what happened in England, what happened in Australia, and most of the countries across the world. As it stands now government uses every trick in the book to take your guns, I have seen it happen here in NC with the so called welfare check. Once a neighbor or relative makes one of these calls your gun rights are gone. How did that happen, YOU allowed it to happen.

rotorhead

The leader our state supposed 2A organization has admitted his hatred towards open carriers.

Please cite specifically where he admitted his "hatred" toward open carriers.

All in all the bill did not affect me personally, with the exception of tweaking the PPP regulations- which should make you happy as you are on record for saving the PPP. The political process was slowed due to a couple of factors, which include at least two of the Republican leaders trying to cover their asses for their upcoming US Senate runs next year.

A big victory for those who choose to obtain and use the CHP, though. Hopefully it will pave the way for OC in some of the same places in the future once it's established that CHP holders aren't shooting the places up like a "wild west" scene. We'll see though.

carolina guy

Sounds like a lot of truth from everyone. I doubt we will have FULL constitutional carry in this state anytime soon, but the biggest responsibility is CONSTANT vigilance and talking with your representatives.

I think the next logical step is to let the new law take effect and then work on stripping the CC language from it ASAP.

papa bear

Thanks WOLF, as of now we do have constitutional carry in NC. the constitution is the permit i have. both national and state wise.

but to remind you all. if you push a privilege you will lose a RIGHT

carolina guy

Thanks WOLF, as of now we do have constitutional carry in NC. the constitution is the permit i have. both national and state wise.

but to remind you all. if you push a privilege you will lose a RIGHT

So...if you push a driver's license, you lose the right to travel?

carolina guy

like i said go ahead and try it

I do and have done it frequently. Or were you trying to make a different point? I have never had a license to walk, ride a bike or be a passenger. Not aware of anyone in my circles of family or friends that have either. You don't even need a license to board a plane for a domestic flight in the US...they would prefer you had one, but they cannot require it. I know this because I have done it...CLT to CLE and BOS.

Additionally, when I am driving my car, my wife and kids have no license requirements at all, yet they are travelling quite freely.

Last edited: