• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Hello all, Just moved to Wisconsin from Nevada.

chowda

Despite your insistence, manner of dress, carry of inanimate objects, tattoos, piercings, etc is not equal to deliberate antagonism
So you've never dressed in a manner, or have already been dressed in a manner that you figured the general public somewhere wouldn't accept or would appreciate....but went there anyway? Been a long while as I'm older now, but people have told me I wasn't allowed in their establishment because of how I dressed. Same with businesses I worked at--was told we (security) staff had to make a more professional appearance, so we were to wear "shirt and ties" so next shift, I showed up with a sleeveless t-shirt and a tie.

Would you show up to a job interview in short, flip flops and a stained tank top? (OK, some do, but they never get hired).
Would you show up on a first, blind date wearing pink pijamas and slippers? Etc.

My stuff and the job/date stuff is, well, who cares as that's just an individual. I wasn't let into bars, left jobs, others didn't get the job and went home missing out on yet another date.

But, quoting you:

"I do believe that the OC of long guns to make a point is counterproductive for our cause "

Throw in doing that while dressing as a negative stereotype of firearms owners and their 'personal expression of themselves' making a statement in public makes it all the worse for us.
For better or worse, when people do things in public, they are our representatives. I would just hope they keep that in mind when making public statements on our behalf/about us.

Last edited:

chowda

The 1st Amendment may have a hand in protecting our Right that this board exist, but the Board Administrators are who allow your sock puppetry to thrive here, not the 1st Amendment Doug.

Whoever doug is,sure has you guys/gals under his spell. Admins can see IP numbers, so I'm sure if I were this evil controller of people you guys speak of, they'd know and give me the boot--which I assume that's what happened to your two dimensional nemesis.

Interceptor_Knight

Whoever doug is,sure has you guys/gals under his spell. Admins can see IP numbers, so I'm sure if I were this evil controller of people you guys speak of, they'd know and give me the boot--which I assume that's what happened to your two dimensional nemesis.
I have not accused you of being Doug, but Nightmare fits the mold (along with some others) including his professed biography, life experiences and habits of communication. He has been banned under multiple accounts but just can't seem to stay away. Posters simply accept it and post accordingly when responding to him.
So you've never dressed in a manner, or have already been dressed in a manner that you figured the general public somewhere wouldn't accept or would appreciate....but went there anyway? .
Consciously not conforming to a cultural norm which may or may not offend someone is quite different than overtly antagonizing someone by making personal insults. My tattoos, piercings and long hair may offend you but no reasonable person would say that by having these things in the absence of other actual antagonistic behavior I am being deliberately antagonistic.

Last edited:

chowda

I have not accused you of being Doug, but Nightmare fits the mold
Well, unless I am sending PMs to myself with different accounts, I'm not nighmare. I won't say anything else about him as that was via a private message. But from what (little) I know about him, he doesn't seem like much of a threat to firearm owners, much less those that wish to carry firearms. I guess I should grill him on it, but not in favor of any bs like that, nor have any interest. I'm pretty big on if you have a good belief, you should be able to stand up and in front of god and everybody, not only say it, but state why.

I've not seen anyone here against firearms, nor concealed carry, nor open carry. The only dissent I've seen here is me and I've only stated people should not carry long arms in public places just to make a point....not only a meaningless one, but a HIGHLY counter productive one.

OK, I might have mentioned something about tactical fedoras..... lol. People can dress in pink moo moos for all I care. But if they are out in a public place making a statement about my/our community, then yes, I do give a **** about how they present themselves. Don't care if you or anyone else get offended by this.

Last edited:

HandyHamlet

"I do believe that the OC of long guns to make a point is counterproductive for our cause "

Exactly what the CC crowd says about open carry. And what the retards say about those who arm themselves with video/audio recording devices.

It never ends.

chowda

Exactly what the CC crowd says about open carry.
I don't see their point as with concealed carry, 'the public' doesn't know who is or isn't carrying, so there can be no acceptance of something they cannot see.
OC differs in that it's our basic right in our constitution, so there is no need to jump through any government 'may I?' hoops, so open carry (of pistols) is about as 'normal' as things can be.

However, if people that OC make a big deal out of it to 'the public', like walking around, point to the pistol on their belt, wearing 4 pistols, having bandoleers of ammo across their chest, toting long guns around.....all of these 'open carry' most would view as little more than an in-your-face showing. And I don't see how anyone can rationally make the argument that actions like that promote acceptance of OC.

FWIW, in the grand scheme, I'm more for open carry than concealed carry because with OC, there's no need to get permission...and wind up being on a government list of gun owners, name address, etc. Lists like that are used by liberal/progressives as a means to intimidate normal people.

Last edited:

HandyHamlet

... like walking around, point to the pistol on their belt, wearing 4 pistols, having bandoleers of ammo across their chest, toting long guns around.....

Laughable if it wasn't so seriously pathetic.

This place is ripe with trolls. Too bad.

Shoo troll. Go away now.

chowda

Laughable if it wasn't so seriously pathetic.
I know. When I first heard (from milwaukee) about some gomers wandering around the appleton's farmer's market with ARs, then saw the guy in the tactical fedora with a pistol gripped shotgun slung across his back, just hanging out, I really would have laughed, but quickly realized these people acting out are the stereotypical posterboys of the firearms community for the anti-gunners and even those that don't care either way, if someone has a firearm or not.

What I guess I don't understand is if it's in the WI constitution, why is it now that people wander about in public shopping places with long guns? It's been our right since the writing of it, so.....maybe an in your face attitude?
And with such code pink/sharpton/jackson/act up antics, just how will that help our cause again? Expand acceptance of people having firearms again? And open carrying those again?

chowda

All trolls go on "ignore".
And for some reason you had to tell me that you are ignoring me? Believe it or not, there are more important, second amendment related issues to discuss rather than any personal drama from anyone.

HandyHamlet

To the OP and out of state members.
I've met members here in social and political settings for several years. Whether it be coffee, dinner with family members or rallying in Madistan they have always conducted themselves with dignity and respect.

NEVER have I witnessed this bullsh*t.

... like walking around, point to the pistol on their belt, wearing 4 pistols, having bandoleers of ammo across their chest,

I have seen a few non-members with long guns outside the Capital at a rally.

Please disregard the newest troll and it's attempt to undermine an upstanding community of individuals and their families.

chowda

I have seen a few non-members with long guns outside the Capital at a rally.

Now that is something different. If there is an open carry public rally, well then it's expected that people will gather there and express their rights to open carry in this state.
Anyone walking by should know it's some sort of public rally at the capitol. While fulfilling stereotypes probably would be done, it's not that bad PR for the firearm community as, well, it's a political rally, a show, a demonstration of our rights.

This is far different than people wandering around or standing outside of a farmers market with long guns....where people are there just to shop.
Completely different and IMO bad PR for us.
Dress normal/respectful for the community's standards, put a pistol in holster on your belt, then go shopping.
Be polite.
Be friendly.
Be courteous.

In short, be a good ambassador for our community to those not in our community. Who knows, you may even not only win broader acceptance of us, but even recruit others that already own firearms to open carry, or get a concealed license.

FWIW, I've not been here long, but am starting to think there may be duplicate accounts here, or a few different people....but I don't care. And neither should you. If you think someone is trolling you, then just don't respond to them or put them on ignore. Don't take the bait and don't react. Just be good ambassadors to the firearms community.

Sorcice

Welcome to OCDO! I agree with Plankton. Lived/OCed in Madison 3 years now and haven't had an issue once with police. The only times I did have issues were in Denny's and Walmart but a single call to upper management and the local night manager changed tune real fast. Not to mention most of the time I look(until recently when my beard got chopped down a bit) like Willie from duck dynasty. I have found that even if you OC all the time as I do most are so distracted they never notice. Pretty much the only time someone does is if they are bangers, have some reason to look for LEOs, or I'm in line and they see my sidearm over the top of their cellphone standing behind me.

To answer the indoor shooting range question there are several in the Madison area. The first is Deerfield pistol and archery and the second is gander mountain. Deerfield has a longer range and better about fees but good luck getting in on a weekend. I personally goto the free outdoor range maintained by the DNR up near portage off 51. If you need directions PM me.