• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Help choosing a nice, frist gun....

Which 9mm should I look into most?

• Taurus 24/7 Pro

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • S&W Sigma

• Sig Sauer P6 (225)

• Total voters

Phonetic Diabetic

imported post

eyesopened wrote:
Phonetic Diabetic wrote:
Looks like you got quite a gun, especially for the price. I don't think I've heard any bad things regarding these West German imports. How does it shoot? Is it picky about ammo?
I haven't got a chance to shoot it yet but the serial number starts with an M so it should handle HP just fine from what I've read. If the SN starts with any letter after K in the alphabet it has a better chance to shooot HP reliabley.
So it's kind of a crap shoot as to which SN letter you get? I guess you'd have a higher % of getting a better one if you choose one of the hand-selected ones? And maybe the problem with the JHP is the feed ramp needs a little polishing? I don't know, just more of an inquiry.

Dr.Coy

imported post

Diabetic,

Are you not leaning towards the 24/7 PRO anymore?!?! I promise you it is a great buy and an awesome handgun.

plus you can get 17+1rd clips!!!!

eyesopened

imported post

Phonetic Diabetic wrote:
eyesopened wrote:
Phonetic Diabetic wrote:
Looks like you got quite a gun, especially for the price. I don't think I've heard any bad things regarding these West German imports. How does it shoot? Is it picky about ammo?
I haven't got a chance to shoot it yet but the serial number starts with an M so it should handle HP just fine from what I've read. If the SN starts with any letter after K in the alphabet it has a better chance to shooot HP reliabley.
So it's kind of a crap shoot as to which SN letter you get? I guess you'd have a higher % of getting a better one if you choose one of the hand-selected ones? And maybe the problem with the JHP is the feed ramp needs a little polishing? I don't know, just more of an inquiry.
I didn't have a choice when the order was placed, but I don't see why you couldn't ask for a later SN if you place your order over the phone?. And like you said, it could just use a good polishing. I did hear that the angle of the feed ramp on earlier models were steeper than later models so maybe they tried to correct the misfeeds.

Phonetic Diabetic

imported post

Dr.Coy wrote:
Diabetic,

Are you not leaning towards the 24/7 PRO anymore?!?! I promise you it is a great buy and an awesome handgun.

plus you can get 17+1rd clips!!!!

Coy-
Leaning toward several guns. I've actually added a few to my list. Right now, it's between a new 24/7 Pro, a used Springfield XD .40, and a new FN P40. There's more I've seen, but I don't want to go back and add them. Makes it more cunfusing and harder to pick.

And Dustin, it's driving me crazy too. Notice I spelled it right in my post, just missed it in the title.

Weak 9mm

imported post

Personally, I'd get something that you can seriously trust. I like a 9mm Glock, simply because that sucker feeds, fires and ejects anything you can throw at it. They are the only Glocks with fully supported chambers too. I got a used (You honestly couldn't tell it wasn't new) 3rd generation Glock 17 with night sights for a little over $400. It was well worth it IMO.

Also, don't worry about 9mm vs. .40S&W, no matter what you hear. They both perform great, the 9mm is an awesome caliber. I can show you a lot of evidence that supports that claim too, although people here are probably tired of it, haha. It costs significantly less to shoot when you're using target ammo as well, SIGNIFICANTLY less. Plus, +P and +P+ 9mm Law Enforcement ammo can be had for $15-$20 per box of 50 rounds. That stuff will get the job done very well.

I like Taurus, but I am concerned about ever buying one because I hear a lot of negative things about their guns from people. Some people buy them and never have a problem, but quite a few buy them and get unlucky and have nothing but problems, even with newer generations and new models. I also don't trust them because they haven't been out as long as Glocks and they haven't proven themselves as much as I'd like to have seen. I guess their QC may be out of whack.

I would get that Sig P6 as a weapon to just mess around with personally, because it's used and it comes in those mass purchases from an importer. So you never know what you're really going to get when you order something like that. It could be good but it might be awful and you'll kick yourself if you waste money on a piece of crap. As a first gun, it's probably not a great choice honestly. I think it's REALLY worth it to go ahead and buy a gun with a really solid reputation the first time around, even if it costs you a few extra dollars to begin with. Go with a good 9mm (Cough, Glock 17 or 19, cough) and you'll earn that money back after some boxes of ammo anyways!

The sigma is alright I guess, although I still see it as being relatively low quality overall. I haven't heard anything too bad about it though. As usual, go with the 9mm.

An XD wouldn't be a bad gun at all, but again I'd get it in 9mm. It's something that's going to be extremely reliable and that's the key IMO. You need 100% reliability with all ammo within your caliber in a first gun!

Dr.Coy

imported post

I agree with the post above, 9mm will do exactly what you need it to do. Especially with self defense rounds. There are so many vital areas in a body you can shoot at that will incapacitate someone, you can kill someone easily with a 22. Any major artery in the arms or legs, throat, head, from the center of the chest to the left side of the rib cage (heart and lungs)....

Of course this depends on accuracy and others will argue just buy a cannon and doesn't matter where you shoot. But my argument to that is this...

If you practice accuracy, even put yourself into training with a stress variable... either way... practice practice practice hitting vital areas on your targets. Reason being... I know of a personal account of my uncle in the military. There were insurgents in a house... long story short... they had to fire a tank round into the house... 2 of them were killed instantly... one survivor... as the squad entered the house the 1st soldier was shot multiple times with an AK, the 2nd and 3rd soldiers followed immediately opening fire... they emptied two clips of an M4carbine and M16. The dude was still moving from under the rubble trying to get his gun next to him... the 4th entry man sprayed him with a couple rounds, the insurgent finally quit moving due to blood loss.

How did that insurgent take two full clips on automatic and still be even thinking about moving? Was he bullet proof or something? NO, after eliminating the threat one soldier entered the adjacent hall in the house and found vials of adrenaline and needles.

My point is... you never know what kind of drug someone is going to be on when you are confronted. IF their veins are loaded with chemicals, they wont stop until they bleed out. If you are in a life or death situation, hit brachial or femoral arteries, or the jugular. Femoral is easy to hit, just a couple inches towards the middle of the leg from the inside of the thigh.

Sorry for the long post, just felt like ranting about accuracy. :monkey

David.Car

imported post

Dr.Coy wrote:
Sorry for the long post, just felt like ranting about accuracy. :monkey

Another good thing is how quickly you can follow up one accurate shot with another. 9mm will allow you to reaquire your aim and continue firing more accurately.

Dr.Coy

imported post

David.Car wrote:
Another good thing is how quickly you can follow up one accurate shot with another. 9mm will allow you to reaquire your aim and continue firing more accurately.

yup, this is the perfect caliber for double tap technique.

big plus in my book.

asforme

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I've never had problems with my Taurus 9mm Millennium Pro. As for caliber, I like .45ACP and 9mm because if TSHTF I think I have a good chance of finding ammo. Of course with all the LEAs using .40 now that's probably a good choice too.

Gunslinger

imported post

Phonetic Diabetic wrote:
Gunslinger wrote:
SIG--Corvette

Smith--Buick, whatever they call that new full sized thing

Taurus--Subaru

Depends on what cars you like. :)
Nothing wrong with a Subaru. ;)
Have had two and next car will be another. Like my Taurus, too. But the Vette...:celebrate

eyesopened

imported post

I got to try out the P6 this weekend and found that it's a great shooter. I really like how it shoots but I have to figure out how it points. I naturally shoot the EMP and XD much better than the Sig but that's 'cause I'm a 1911 guy The XD is so close to a 1911 in the grip angle and feel. I shoot in DA about 2" high and 1" in SA but the grouping is very tight. The slide to frame fit is very tight and it doesn't rattle at all, even for a 20+ year old gun. The range has some used Ruger P95s for sale and those things rattled like crazy. The gun fed reliabley FMJ but I didn't get a chance to try out any HP. I grabbed a box that I thought was HP, but when I opened it, it was actually FMJ so I must have re-used the box. I doubt it'll replace my EMP as my main carry piece so that isn't such a big issue for me. I would like to see if it does feed HP though so that'll be for the next range day.

I'm very happy with the purchase :cool:

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

eyesopened wrote:
I got to try out the P6 this weekend and found that it's a great shooter. I really like how it shoots but I have to figure out how it points. I naturally shoot the EMP and XD much better than the Sig but that's 'cause I'm a 1911 guy The XD is so close to a 1911 in the grip angle and feel. I shoot in DA about 2" high and 1" in SA but the grouping is very tight. The slide to frame fit is very tight and it doesn't rattle at all, even for a 20+ year old gun. The range has some used Ruger P95s for sale and those things rattled like crazy. The gun fed reliabley FMJ but I didn't get a chance to try out any HP. I grabbed a box that I thought was HP, but when I opened it, it was actually FMJ so I must have re-used the box. I doubt it'll replace my EMP as my main carry piece so that isn't such a big issue for me. I would like to see if it does feed HP though so that'll be for the next range day.

I'm very happy with the purchase :cool:
If you are grouping well but just shooting high, Sig makes different height front sights. It may even be that the front sight on your pistol is a shorter sight than the "standard" height already causing you to shoot high.

David.Car

imported post

deepdiver wrote:
If you are grouping well but just shooting high, Sig makes different height front sights. It may even be that the front sight on your pistol is a shorter sight than the "standard" height already causing you to shoot high.
I was putting them low and left at 25 yards with my sig for about the first 300 rounds before I finally got the hang of how I needed to level my sights. After that it was smooth sailing. Fantastic gun to shoot (the 226 in 9mm).

eyesopened

imported post

Yeah I'll probably just put some more rounds through the tube before making any a changes. I remember when I first got my XD I was shooting off before I got used to the trigger. This is my first DA/SA gun so the DA pull is a little wierd for me as I don't have a revolver yet. It's also my first Sig so I don't have any real experience shooting the Sig in SA. I guess I'll just shoot it for a bit to get used to it.

AWDstylez

Banned
imported post

Gunslinger wrote:
SIG--Corvette

Smith--Buick, whatever they call that new full sized thing

Taurus--Subaru

Depends on what cars you like. :)

So you're saying the SIG is an unreliable piece of crap, S&W's are only for old people, and the Taurus is the most reliable and only pistol offered with AWD? That doesn't sound right. :p

I'd have to agree with what many other people have said, spend the extra to get a good gun on your first purchase. It's going to be your only carry weapon so you better make sure it's something quality and reliable.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

FWIW, to get use to the DA/SA Sig I tried separating the 2 pulls first. At the range I would do a mag all DA - trigger, bang, de-cock; trigger, bang, de-cock, and then a mag all SA - cock, fire off mag. Once I got use to each separately, I put them together in slow double taps - trigger, bang, bang, de-cock, repeat.

Now I am NOT a firearms trainer and I was never formally trained on how to shoot a DA/SA pistol specifically. The above is just a method I came up on my own that worked pretty well for me when added to dry fire drills. Maybe it is a bad way to do things so YMMV.

David.Car

imported post

deepdiver wrote:
FWIW, to get use to the DA/SA Sig I tried separating the 2 pulls first. At the range I would do a mag all DA - trigger, bang, de-cock; trigger, bang, de-cock, and then a mag all SA - cock, fire off mag. Once I got use to each separately, I put them together in slow double taps - trigger, bang, bang, de-cock, repeat.

Now I am NOT a firearms trainer and I was never formally trained on how to shoot a DA/SA pistol specifically. The above is just a method I came up on my own that worked pretty well for me when added to dry fire drills. Maybe it is a bad way to do things so YMMV.
What will help is if you get snap caps and just practice holding steady on the dry fire. Should improve your DA shooting.