• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Henrico County Muscling out gun store - Zombie Defense - victim of rezoning

T Dubya

Campaign Veteran
The latest I got is this; the county made a mistake by letting the business in that location. The location of the store is zoned B1.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
The latest I got is this; the county made a mistake by letting the business in that location. The location of the store is zoned B1.

Again - the onus/burden is on the county. They cannot or should not be able to penalize him for their mistake after the fact -presume that he did not attempt to mislead the county and proceeded in good faith.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Again - the onus/burden is on the county. They cannot or should not be able to penalize him for their mistake after the fact -presume that he did not attempt to mislead the county and proceeded in good faith.

I agree Grape.

TD, I'm afraid you're letting your passion interfere with your logic. You're not getting the whole story from ths fellow and it didn't sound right from the start.

riverrat10k

OK, some tidbits from the Henrico zoning code

B1 zoning:

Sec. 24-54.1. - Principal uses permitted

v)
Stores or shops for the conduct of retail sales including sale of art and art supplies, auto parts and accessories (but no service and/or installation), beverages, books, carpets, clothing, computers and software, draperies, drugs, fabrics, furniture and appliances, garden supplies, gifts, glass sales and service excluding auto or truck repairs, handcrafts, hardware or locksmiths, hobby supplies, jewelry, office supplies and stationery, paint, picture framing, wallpaper, shoes and shoe repair, SPORTING GOODS, televisions, video recorders, stereos, radios, microwaves, sales, service and small appliance repair, video store, variety store and stores and shops similar to the preceding. No individual shop or store shall occupy more than 10,000 square feet of floor area except when located within an approved shopping center.

(w)
Studios and shops for artists, photographers, writers, teachers, jewelers, tailors and dressmakers, taxidermists, weavers and other CRAFTSMEN, sculptors and musicians with floor area not exceeding 3,000 square feet unless located in an approved shopping center.

z)
Other retail and service uses which are of the same general character as those listed above as permitted uses. Such additional uses may be permitted by the director of planning pursuant to section 24-109 of this chapter, PROVIDED that they shall be only retail and service establishments primarily selling new merchandise (except antiques) and/or rendering a personal SERVICE. Such additional uses may be permitted only in accordance with development standards as herein provided.

Now, here is something from B-2 zoning:

Sec. 24-58.1. - Principal uses permitted.

(k)
Gun shop, sales and repair.

From what I saw the place is zoned B2c (conditional). Can someone point out the EXACT building on google maps or such? The zoning in that area is a mish-mash of residential with B1 and B2 around the intersection of Woodman andHungary. I believe it is also an "enterprise zone" with tax bennies for having a business there, engcouraging business usage.

Last edited:

davidmcbeth

Banned
All he needs to do is start using gun shows to do the transfers.

He should be able to continue his business and maintain his ffl (even at the address he currently lists).

The zoning likely would not change anything but where he performs the gun transfer.

Ya have to know how to play the game !

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
All he needs to do is start using gun shows to do the transfers.

He should be able to continue his business and maintain his ffl (even at the address he currently lists).

The zoning likely would not change anything but where he performs the gun transfer.

Ya have to know how to play the game !

1 - BATFEIEIO does not like "kitchen table" FFLs and have refused to renew lisences of those without some brink and mortar presence.

2 - Would you like to wait 6 to 12 weeks before you could go pick up gun when the seller cashed your check before it was shipped to this FFL? That's an awful long time to delay gratification. Additionally, most auction sales allow for a 3-day inspection period which begins when the gun arrives at the FFL. This means the buyer is stuck with anything that arrives with a problem.

As you said, "Ya have to know how to play the game!"

stay safe.

T Dubya

Campaign Veteran
TD, I'm afraid you're letting your passion interfere with your logic. You're not getting the whole story from ths fellow and it didn't sound right from the start.

Maybe, but as far as my passion, I don't care, there's something that stinks. My mind and and judgement have been made up. I have been away from the computer so I have been typing most of these responses using my phone which is a real PITA. I have kept them short. The county is wrong for what they are doing. I sent Zombie Defense an email the night I started this thread. This is part of the email response I got from Zombie

" The county made a mistake by allowing the business in that location. It appears to be zoned correctly, but the "C" after the B-2 zoning only applies to to the model car track that was in the building years ago. It is actually B-1. It was not the correct zoning in the first place, hence no rezoning for "gun sales". "

T Dubya

Campaign Veteran
From what I saw the place is zoned B2c (conditional). Can someone point out the EXACT building on google maps or such? The zoning in that area is a mish-mash of residential with B1 and B2 around the intersection of Woodman andHungary. I believe it is also an "enterprise zone" with tax bennies for having a business there, engcouraging business usage.

If you're looking at Google maps it is the brick building beside the old Citgo Service station. It's in the back. It's a tiny little place in the back. If you want to check it you should call first tell him what you want so he can get it cause he doesn't keep much in the showroom. I've never seen a receiver.