• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Here is free training that meets the letter of the proposed law

paul@paul-fisher.com

I would be interested if there has been any feedback since the changes to the training hours went through. I would hate to send in the application with $50 just to have it rejected, and then take a $100 course and send in another $50 and application :banghead:

Hoping we can hear some success stories since the law changes.

The person who got rejected got their original $50 back.

Brass Magnet

Founder's Club Member
If you can afford the money and the time, I'd recommend just taking a class from a reputable instructor. Alternatively, WCI is supposedly going to offer free courses in the near future. More training is never a bad thing. It's up to you to decide how much training you'd like of course.

Dusto

Thank you for the info. I will definitely keep an eye out for that.

I for sure am not against firearms training. And the more training someone can spend the time and/or money on the better. But with that said, I do not agree (and it appears many, many others also did not) with the mandated training that was required.

TheManInBlack

Yep, I resent mine last Saturday.. So I'll be waiting longer then the rest of you just because mine got looked at on the 7th and not the 8th... FML... Please keep us updated.. I would like to see someone get approved MD after the 8th..

E6chevron

Yep, I resent mine last Saturday.. So I'll be waiting longer then the rest of you just because mine got looked at on the 7th and not the 8th... FML... Please keep us updated.. I would like to see someone get approved MD after the 8th..

I'm afraid the truth is if someone does get a CCL solely supported by a Maryland online training course, it will be a processing mistake.

Here's the current version of the DOJ administrative rules, as of Nov. 8, 2011:
http://www.doj.state.wi.us/dles/cib/ConcealedCarry/jus17-jus18-jcrar-20111108.pdf

Jus 17.03 Definitions. In this chapter:
(8) “Firearms safety or training course” means a course that is reasonably calculated to instruct and practice the student’s comprehension and application of firearm safety rules and safe firearm handling, that includes instructor-led training, and that provides a certificate or affidavit of successful completion that satisfies the content requirements of s. Jus 17.05(2).

(9) “Instructor-led” means training that is conducted face-to-face in which instructors actively guide students through each lesson, answer questions, facilitate discussion, and provide feedback on activities and/or assignments. Learner-led or self-directed learning—the delivery of learning experiences to independent learners who lead and manage their own experience, delivered via web pages, multimedia presentations, computer applications, online presentations, or similar methods—is not instructor-led.

Dusto

Bummer. But thank you for posting that, it does make it pretty clear the online class won't work. Looks like I will keep an eye out for classes around here then. Thanks again.

TheManInBlack

Hold the phone, I just got a call from my buddy, He took an online course (not sure where yet) and he got his permit today..

Russia

Hope im not double posting but as i read this correctly.

Eligibility for a CCW license

Have provided proof of the firearms training required for a license.
(see Training Requirement below)

What kind of training is required to get a license?

Will an on-line training course satisfy the requirements to obtain a concealed carry permit?
No.

http://www.doj.state.wi.us/dles/cib/ConcealedCarry/ccw-faq-20111020.pdf
page 15
Rev date 10.20.11

http://www.doj.state.wi.us/dles/cib/ConcealedCarry/jus17-jus18-jcrar-20111108.pdf
page 2
Jus 17.03 Definitions.
9. Instructor-led” means training that is conducted face-to-face in which instructors actively guide students through each lesson, answer questions, facilitate discussion, and provide feedback on activities and/or assignments. Learner-led or self-directed learning—the delivery of learning experiences to independent learners who lead and manage their own experience, delivered via web pages, multimedia presentations, computer applications, online presentations, or similar methods—is not instructor-led.
Rev date 2011.01

So am i reading this right. MD online is a no go. Money talks and online walks

Last edited:

ssmits

checked mail today DOJ sent letter on NOV 22 "online traing does not satisfy requirement;must be instructor-led training" and all paper work and check back.

M

McX

the coming free Wisconsin Carry training classes should meet the requirement of instructor led training, and save you a few bucks.

Dusto

Going to take the free class tomorrow. Wife is much happier with my 'waste' of money now that it's only going to be $50 instead of $150-$200. :D