• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

hey everyone

Michigander

imported post

wally1120 wrote:
Another down fall for the 1911`s is that it is a VERY EXPENSIVE gun
Sometimes, but certainly not always. Many imported 1911's can be had for under 400 bucks if you shop around.

If you add it up, 400 for the gun, a potential but not always definite 60 bucks at the gun shop to smooth the feed ramp and tune the extractor, another 100 for the cost of all the reloaded ammo you'd need to break it in and have enough left over to carry, and maybe another 100 to buy 3 good magazines, it's still in a price range competitive with Glocks.

But, if you don't have a reloading set, and you're a new shooter, this would still be a tremendous and annoying hassle.

wally1120

imported post

I dont think I have ever seen a 1911 style pistol for under 500.00. They maybe out there, I will just stick to newer plastic guns, Glock or XD. I have good experiences with both of them, And I loved the XD, and the Glock. I will not stray to far and get another 1911 in this lifetime anyway.

SlowDog

imported post

You can get them. I did. I have spent -0- on it and everyone who has shot it says the feel is "SWEET!" Come on out to the range & I will let ya try it.

SpringerXDacp

imported post

wally1120 wrote:
I dont think I have ever seen a 1911 style pistol for under 500.00. They maybe out there, I will just stick to newer plastic guns, Glock or XD. I have good experiences with both of them, And I loved the XD, and the Glock. I will not stray to far and get another 1911 in this lifetime anyway.
RIA, Rock Island Armory 1911's are in that price range--some less.

wally1120

imported post

Hey SlowDog, I apperciate the offer to let me shoot the 1911. I will have to pass on that one tho, I dont want to shoot a gun that I have no intentions on buying. I guess I am just not into the 1911 style platforms anymore, I always like the way they looked, And have been fan for the 1911.They would be great guns Only if you got a 1911 that was put together right. And most of the time, You have to dump some serious cash to make it even a descent functioning, operating firearm. I have heard people put another couple hundred on top of the what 1,000 that they pay for the gun, NO thanks I could have 1 XD, and 1 Glock for that price, I may even get lucky enough to get a box of practice rounds too.

SlowDog

imported post

That's kewl....but in the past several years it has become the "norm" that the 1911's coming from Colt & Springfield are ready right out of the box. I am sure some "lemons" slip through but normally the standard Gov't model 5" 1911A1 is usually ok. I know 4" & 3" models are prone to problems because of the different spring rates in the shorter guns. I have owned 3 45/1911's and a 10mm 1911 that have been great runners.

I do know several guys who've sprung for the Kimbers and then was pizzed cuzz they were finicky feeders or the mags would hang up.

I guess I have been pretty lucky. The Bersa 380 I bought for the wife<and stole for me>:quirky needed the ramp polished but that was 30 bucks and is now super smooth. Crossing my fingers my luck holds up.....

Banger

imported post

I just skimmed this thread and first off I would like to say welcome hypershorty. From what I gather u must have asked about good carry weapons and/or recommendations. As a fairly new open carrier, I would like to throw in my endorsement for the Smith and Wesson M&P .40. I did TONS of research, emphasis on tons. I am a very analytical person with too much time on my hands. For the price(I bought mine used on MGO with a low round count for 425 and it came with the case with all the backstraps and 4 15 round mags), I personally believe you won't find a better weapon. Now mind you this is all personal preference, as I now there are alot of Glock fans and 1911 fans on this site. I personally do not like glocks. I don't know alot about 1911's so I will refrain from commenting just adding the caveat that I don't like hammer guns so it wasn't really in my selection process. I have a full size M&P and my roommate has the compact both in 40 cal and we both love them very much. The full frame might be a little more than you are looking for in a carry gun but the compact offers a great size to power ratio.

Edited for spelling.

wally1120

imported post

I too think the M&P are decent guns, After all they are tupperware shooters. That is all I have has luck with. I owned a Springfield XD Compact 45 ACP and that was a great gun, Now own a Glock 17 9mm with a few mods done to her, And the Glock is a great gun as well. I haven`t shot the M&P series very much, I would like to. The Glock 17 is almost a Full size, Dosen`t work out to well with a smaller person, But I love it. I would however recommend a Compact, Sub-Compact tho. I know I am not thinking about getting another Full size gun again, 1 is enough.

SlowDog

imported post

This is gonna make people do a double take but,
I am actually looking for a smaller caliber full size carry gun. I am currently looking for a 1911 in 38 super. Weird huh? But they are super accurate and high capacity. And to think I am a big 45acp guy! :what::what::what:

SlowDog

imported post

Was out of state at a friends and he has a couple 38 supers he shoots. I was amazed on how they felt and with the limited muzzle lift 2nd & third shots were no problem at all. I wonder if they make a full size 1911 in a 9mm and 380. hmmmmmm...that'd be kewl, one holster for all my guns. :monkey:monkey

Bronson

imported post

Welcome hypershorty.

Heed the wise words written below....

Radioman wrote:
Here are the things I would look for when purchasing a gun ...

Is it comfortable in your hand

Can you shoot it accurately

Does it point naturally for you (test this by taking a grip on the gun when lowered, close your eyes and raise the gun to a shooting position, now open your eyes, is it pointed up, down, straight ahead? THis is your natural aim, in a high stress environment this will be something that helps you get rounds on target when it counts you know along with all the training that your going to do also)

Is it carryable in your daily life and social setting
(check out this wbsite. It was mostly written by a lady for ladies that carry with some pieces by friends of hers. Gives a real good womens perspective on gun ownership and selection by a lady. http://www.corneredcat.com )

What is the Warranty / Reputation of the Manufacture (yes I am a little bit of the snob that I talked about above but it comes from working in the service industry all my life. I wont come out and say dont buy X cause I didnt like it, I might give you some arguements about why I didnt like it and demonstrate why something else might be better. Also I like a manufacture that backs up their product without a lot of hassle)

Is it a caliber that I can practice with often
( Yes you will need to practice often. I still do and I have been shooting for years)

Thats what I look for in a gun that I am going to buy. Not always in that order but those are the points that I look at for starters. Then its how it will fit into my collection, will I use it, do I think its just too cool not to own and all that other stuff. Hope this helps some. If you have questions please feel free to post them or shoot me a PM. There are bunches of folks on here that are more than willing to help out.

Radioman

And ignore most everyone on here who is touting a particular brand of gun ....especially if that gun is a Glock :p

Bronson

Bronson

imported post

I can carry a stainless steel commander size 1911 all day with no problems. A good holster and a good belt are essential but that goes for carrying just about anything.

I have two 1911s (and another on layaway) and they are both utterly reliable. As for spending loads of money to get them running I think a lot of that is hogwash. I did an extractor tuning on one and it took about 20 minutes and that was with having to learn to detail strip the slide for the first time. I also installed a new thumb safety (nothing wrong with the old one I just wanted a different style) and being my first one it took me a couple of hours but it went without a hitch.

One is in the upper end of the spectrum and the other is in the lower end and they both run and run and run and keep on running.

I also have polymer guns and to be honest the gun that has given me the most trouble is a polymer framed Kahr CW40. It runs great now but it took several trips back to the factory and having to argue with the service manager to get it fixed correctly.

It experienced:

Broken magazine followers (first repair trip)

Dropping magazines while firing (second repair trip, when I got it back I found that Kahr had glued two plastic spacers onto the rear wall of the mag well to "fix" this problem. Of course then the mags wouldn't fall free when the release was pressed, they had to be pulled from the grip). I Arguedwith the manager after spending a combined total time on hold of nearly 3 hours (I called multiple times)before reaching an actual person. I got him to agree to fix it again and...

(3rd repair trip)this time they replaced the frame which fixed the mag dropping problem.

The first trip to the range with the new frame and the trigger pivot pin backed out in the first 50 rounds (4th repair trip).

It now runs like a champ and I still carry it. I'll never buy another Kahr product but not because of the troubles I've had with this one but because of the hassle I got from the customer service manager. Guns are machines and machines break. How the manufacturer takes care of the unfortunate owners of these broken machines speaks volumes.

I would rather ownmore "cheap" Bersas withlifetime warranties and an awesome warranty center out in Colorado (Colorado Gun Works) than another expensive Kahr withits 5 year warranty and sub-standard customer service.

Bronson

Bronson

imported post

office888 wrote:
Low Quality : Norinco, Llama, Rock Island Armory
Good-to-High Quality : Colt, Kimber, Springfield Armory, Para-Ord, SIG, S&W
God-Quality : Dan Wesson, Charles Daly

From 1998 to 2008 Charles Daly 1911s were made by Armscor in the Philippines. Armscor also makes the Rock Island Armory 1911s, Citadel and High StandardCompact 1911s.

If you can find them their is another contender in the low-price 1911 category that is getting rave reviews. They are the American Classicand the Firestorm (samegun, made in the same factory just with different brand names). They are made by a newPhilippine company called Metro Arms and every single person I've talked tothat has one loves it.Each brand offersboth the standard GI version and a deluxe version withthings like extended safety and slide release,dovetailed sights, extended beavertail,etc.

There can be some confusion about the Firestorm brand because years ago Firestorm contracted with Llama to make1911s with the Firestorm name on them. Theseold spanish made Firestorm1911s should be avoided likethe plague.

Now Firestorm has contracted with Metro Arms in the Philippines to make their 1911s andtheir owners seem to bevery happy with them. I have one on layaway and am slowly chipping away atit. It's the deluxe versionand I picked it up new at On Target in Kalamazoo for $469.00. The funny thing is that On Target also had theAmerican Classic II on the shelf, which is the exact same gun as the Firestorm Deluxe, but for $30.00 more.

Here is a Gunblast review http://www.gunblast.com/Firestorm-1911Deluxe.htm

They both carry a lifetime warranty and there is talk of a commander size coming out sometime next year.

Bronson

tygereye

imported post

SlowDog wrote:
WHAT?!?!?!?!:what::what::what::what:
There is nothing wrong with 1911's! Mine eats anything I feed it and is very accurate and reasonably priced. A 45 is alot of gun for some woman but then again there is one woman who shoots my 45 & 44mag just fine,,,,she;s kinda scary too..,..j/k
I hope she doesn't read this!:uhoh::uhoh:

Slowdog - Ok, hmmmm... I am thinking I know who this is, and might I recommend not posting something you don't want read?!?! :lol::p:lol:

Shorty - Welcome to the forum!! In order to find a gun that is right for you, you may want to shoot several, but, ultimately, (I know it has been said by someone else already) if it feels right in your hands, and you can shoot it comfortably, that is going to be a little more important than caliber to start. If you get yourself to much, or too little gun, and can't shoot it well, it won't do you much good. So find one that is comfortable for your hands. Good luck!!

SlowDog

imported post

See boy & girlz. If you rattle a stick out side of the bears cave long enough they growl...j/k :p:D:p:monkey:monkey

I totally agree with Bronson. Also remember that if it is gonna be carried then it is gonna show holster wear. Don't freak out. It is natural. Also, something to think about is finish comepared to metal. You can buy a gun with new finishishes that resist wear or you can opt for a stainless gun which is usually "bulletproof" <no gun pun intended>. I really like the Stainless finish for the fact sweat wont make it rust but then again I only carry blued guns right now because of the deals I've gotten on them.
If it is the Hoppdiggity doall gun in stainless but is real pricey and right next to it is a real bullet eater in blue that you shoot well and like the way if feels.....well.....we must always walk before we run.....just sayin....