• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

High School Public Policy Paper **NEED OPINIONS**

bustown88

I read through any of the US Code that I thought would have the federal definition of age of majority, but no dice. Apparently the power to assign an age of majority is up to the states... Alabama and Mississippi are both set at 19, and Nebraska is 19 or marriage. All of the other states consider it to be 18 (the section of ORC that I quoted in my paper) and US Code only defines a Juvenile as under the age of 18... (it might be 21 in some instances, the language is a little tricky)

Not sure how to read the first paragraph of the prelim...

BT88

After re-reading it for the thousandth time to try to make sense of it, they are saying, and correct me if I'm wrong, that in this case, juvenile delinquency is legally defined as an act that is committed by someone under the age of 18 that would be a crime if the person were over 18. But in this case, the definition of juvenile is extended to encompass 21 year olds... Am I correct in this thinking?
And does this mean that the federal government considers anyone over the age of 18 to be an adult, or at least get adult sentencing, but in this case only they extended this definition to one or multiple people between the age of 18 and 21?

OC for ME

It is sometimes easier to amend a existing law by passing a new law that nullifies the offending portion of the existing law. Example:

RSMo 21.750.3 permits a political subdivision to prohibit the open carry of a properly holstered firearm in the state of Missouri. The options available to the legislature are to repeal the OC ban capability (strikeout the OC ban in the existing law) or to write a new law that nullifies the OC ban in 21.750.3 specifically. Whichever avenue is more easily viable politically is the avenue the legislature will choose.

Personally, rewriting the existing law to strikeout the OC ban would be preferred because the other portions of the law would stand. Complete repeals of laws are very very rare because the amendment process adds stuff that is completely unrelated to the original intent of a law. To get a bill passed into law the amendment process permits those who would otherwise vote against a bill to get what they want into a bill that they will vote for.

bustown88

It is sometimes easier to amend a existing law by passing a new law that nullifies the offending portion of the existing law. Example:

RSMo 21.750.3 permits a political subdivision to prohibit the open carry of a properly holstered firearm in the state of Missouri. The options available to the legislature are to repeal the OC ban capability (strikeout the OC ban in the existing law) or to write a new law that nullifies the OC ban in 21.750.3 specifically. Whichever avenue is more easily viable politically is the avenue the legislature will choose.

Personally, rewriting the existing law to strikeout the OC ban would be preferred because the other portions of the law would stand. Complete repeals of laws are very very rare because the amendment process adds stuff that is completely unrelated to the original intent of a law. To get a bill passed into law the amendment process permits those who would otherwise vote against a bill to get what they want into a bill that they will vote for.

That makes sense, the requirement for this paper is that I detail the problem, what is being done to help it, and how I might add to the effectiveness of what is being done. So I think I'm just going to present the problem, how I suggest it be fixed, and then talk to my local representatives and other reps in my state to try to work something out, be it co-authoring, or at least getting the ball rolling on an amendment or some new legislation...

bustown88

Update

I was on the phone with my Ohio State Representative yesterday and while he passively supports 2nd amendment bills, he said he wouldn't be terribly inclined to support this, however he gave me an action plan and suggested people in both the Ohio House and the Senate that would be more likely to support it and introduce it.

BT88

Lord Sega

Post your paper ?

Any chance of you posting you final draft here so that we can <strike> critique and criticize </strike>, er... I mean, read and enjoy it?