• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

highpoint firearms

WalkingWolf

I've always heard never use wd40 to clean any firearms :

The WD stands for, wait for it, Water Displacement, that said it is a very lightweight lubricant that is not good for long term protection. For long term I use a heavy oil, like motor oil. But that is wayyyyy to thick for actual carry and shooting, IMO. The problem with WD-40 is wood absorbs the lubricant which in the long term will turn the grips dark.

I find it not necessary to spend hundreds of dollars on lube. A can of Johnson's paste wax will last a lifetime, but again is not good for long term, IMO. WD is good for internals because it does not gunk up. It evaporates a drains to a thin layer.

Oil of any type should be used sparingly on semi auto magazines. Make sure to dry lube out of magazines, or use dry lube. Putting a mag in a toaster oven at 100F overnight will dry all the moisture out, and cause any oil to flow onto a paper towel for a wick.

WalkingWolf

Having own a dozen or so Ruger revolvers this model must of escape my attention would you please post a picture the Ruger Bearcat 45LC revolver I interesting in adding one to my collection.

I am assuming he means Blackhawk, but good catch on your part. AFAIK Ruger has only made the Bearcat in .22.