• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Holster for 1911, for IDPA/USPSA use?

shad0wfax

imported post

joeamt wrote:
I have this: http://www.rescomp.co.za/pWSMIIMODSPEC/WSM-II-Holster---Model-Specific.aspx

I love it! It firmly retains my 1911 untill I decide to draw it. The best part: NO HOLSTER WEAR. Another plus: customizable to where you want it to hang and how.
Yeah, those are the fancy full-blown race-holsters I alluded to earlier. I honestly don't think very many of us are consistent enough to take advantage of the 0.01 to 0.10 second difference those offer over a serpa.

A smooth, consistent, efficient draw that you have repeated tens of thousands of times with a perfect sight picture and dry fire from a $20 holster will allow you to out-score and out-pace 99.9% of your competition.

When you get to the professional shooter competition level, a $200 race-holster might help give you that 0.01 second edge you need to squeak a win on a clean vs. clean stage shoot-off.

The other thing you have to keep in mind is that the vast majority of us who are involved in competitive shooting are doing it to refine our skills for self-defense purposes. If that's the case for you, practice what you carry and carry what you practice. Since I have no intention of ever open-carrying an open-front race-holster I will never practice or compete with one.

Instead, I practice and compete with my Serpa, which is what I carry on the street.