• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

holstered firearm acts as a capacitor

PT111

imported post

Master Doug Huffman wrote:
PT111 wrote:
Actually current flows through a capacitor quite freely until it gets fully charged.
Riiight. "That is why there is a dielectric between the plates." Tom Swift said resistantly.
The diaelectric is to prevent the actual electrons from crossing over from one plate to the other but the electrical charge crosses quite freely. One plate will build up an excess of electrons while the other plate loses its electrons. Once the plate reaches it saturation point of electrons the charge (electricity) quits flowing. In a DC cuicuit you can eaily see this using a voltmeter and ampmeter. When you first place the capacitor in the circuit the voltage across the capacitor will be zero while the current flowing in the cicuit will be quite high. As the capacitor reaches it maximum charge the voltage across the capacitor will increase and the amount of current will stop flowing. In an AC circuit the capacitor will almost act as a short circuit depending upon the frequency and voltage of the circuit. Physicis speak of current flowing from negative to positive but Engineers speak of current flowing from positive to negative.

GlocksRfun

imported post

All this capacitor talk I gotta add that if you hold a lighter to one for long enough it will explode. So be carefull if you ever get the urge to do that.

SAK

imported post

I sell capacitors for a living, but I am certainly not an electrical engineer. The capacitors I sell are for AC power systems (home/office).

They remove the "dirty power" or "electrical pollution" - hell there are many names for it. But the "noise" on the lines. Such high frequency signals can not only wreak havoc on electronics, but can also wreak havoc on the human body. I work with a lot of people whose health is affected by it.

www.nature4less.com - my site - see the Stetzerizer products

www.stetzerizer-us.com - my distribution website

www.stetzerelectric.com - manufacturer's website

It's a very fascinating field - no pun intended :D