• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

House GOP Lists $2.5 Trillion in Spending Cuts

Lokster

Of course, but being registered with a party or a part of its apparatus doesn't provide any net benefit to the effort to spread liberty. The only effect registration has, and only in most states, is that it changes how you're allowed to vote in primaries. If you're part of a party apparatus, however, you'll be spending your time and money working toward the party's goals, which have little or nothing to do with liberty. So really, why register? If you care about liberty, why would you associate with a party at all?

I agree with your point that being registered with a party or an official therein, in and of itself, wouldn't provide any net benefit to the effort to spread liberty.

Having a say in which candidates get a party's nomination is enough reason for me to register, perhaps temporarily, with a particular party; it's not like I have to commit the rest of my life to that party or the mainstream goals of many of its members. Which brings me to my next point that joining a party to push a liberty based agenda by educating members at meetings, writing and moving resolutions forward etc.. could help the cause of liberty, too. I firmly believe that if some of those ideas were reasonably presented it would be hard for people to write them off so easily and in a worst case scenario at least the conversation is sparked.

I don't expect others to share my optimism, but at the same time I think that might have something to do with why we're facing what we are.

()pen(arry

I agree with your point that being registered with a party or an official therein, in and of itself, wouldn't provide any net benefit to the effort to spread liberty.

Having a say in which candidates get a party's nomination is enough reason for me to register, perhaps temporarily, with a particular party; it's not like I have to commit the rest of my life to that party or the mainstream goals of many of its members. Which brings me to my next point that joining a party to push a liberty based agenda by educating members at meetings, writing and moving resolutions forward etc.. could help the cause of liberty, too. I firmly believe that if some of those ideas were reasonably presented it would be hard for people to write them off so easily and in a worst case scenario at least the conversation is sparked.

I don't expect others to share my optimism, but at the same time I think that might have something to do with why we're facing what we are.

If a person has a reasonable belief that being involved with a party for some period of time will help to promote liberty, then more power to them. It's not like registering with a party is a violation of some vital moral or principle. I simply don't have any reason to believe that any parties that exist today, or will ever exist, will promote liberty over personal agenda. I'm hardly all-knowing, though :)

Lokster

If a person has a reasonable belief that being involved with a party for some period of time will help to promote liberty, then more power to them. It's not like registering with a party is a violation of some vital moral or principle. I simply don't have any reason to believe that any parties that exist today, or will ever exist, will promote liberty over personal agenda. I'm hardly all-knowing, though :)

Me too, neither;); but I do know that if our tactics don't change we can expect more of the same or something worse.:eek:

since9

Campaign Veteran
IThe Government is on our backs, but is it unConstitutional, maybe, maybe not. People decry the "overreaching government" but forget that the nature of government is to assure its survival at any cost, even at the cost of the life of you and/or I.

In what country?

Oh, ok - you said it's the "nature" of the government to do that, not "role." Two different things!

I hope that we have a complete financial collapse.

Not I. If it's avoidable (and it is), then let's avoid it.