• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

How can you enforce your right to a CPL?

Tomas

My most recent renewal was via LESA in Tacoma (County-City building) and the lady behind the window was fast, efficient, and helpful.

Turning over my knife and two guns just to GET to the CPL renewal window was the only PITA since they have the entire building posted as no carry instead of setting things up just to protect the court areas. *sigh*

Actually the original app and all renewals since have really been "non-events" just something that took a personal appearance and some time. :)

cynicist

RCW 9.41.0975
Officials and agencies — Immunity, writ of mandamus.
(2) An application may be made to a court of competent jurisdiction for a writ of mandamus:

(a) Directing an issuing agency to issue a concealed pistol license or alien firearm license wrongfully refused;
The application for the writ may be made in the county in which the application for a concealed pistol license or alien firearm license or to purchase a pistol was made, or in Thurston county, at the discretion of the petitioner. A court shall provide an expedited hearing for an application brought under this subsection (2) for a writ of mandamus. A person granted a writ of mandamus under this subsection (2) shall be awarded reasonable attorneys' fees and costs.

I nearly had to do this with mine, there were some tricky issues with it.
The law says 30 days if clean. Day 31: file a writ of mandamus.

arentol

Well, it says they "shall not refuse COMPLETED applications", so if you go in and you need something done (i.e. fingerprints) then the application is not complete and they could turn you away.

(where are the smileys? how do I bold/underline?)

That makes perfect sense. I actually am very glad to know that now, as I was very pleased with their handling of the process and hated that I had anything negative to say at all. Glad I don't have anything negative left to say now.