• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

How do you deal with family members against OCing?

dukenukum

imported post

Most of family are either anti gun or fudds and constantly put me down , so I no longer deal with them as I have grown tired of the cult of family .

AaronS

imported post

DHCruiser wrote:
I think you made a good decision. I've had similar happen to me and my response was if they were wanting to have dinner with me, I didn't accept conditions. They accept me as I am or they really aren't interested in having dinner with me.
You took the words out of my fingers. This has hapened to me from time totime, and I say forget them.

madrevar

imported post

My ongoing situation has to do with my girlfriend's father. I always OC unless working, and CC at those times. He has no problem with me carrying anywhere, except in his house. Its the strangest thing. AT his house, around outside, in the garage, no problem. Through the front door/inner garage door/back patio door, NO WAY Jose! We even openly talk about it, "I just won't have it in the house..." all calm like. He suggests the usual"Why don't you just leave it in the car?". It is a pain when everyone wants to go in and have some dinner or watch a movie, but I won't deceive him by CCing, and disrespecting his wishes abouthis property. Ijustsit in my car until the girlfriend wants to leave.Anyone have a case like this?

fatalhubris

imported post

As a matter of fact yeah, my fiancées mother and her daughter have both requested that I don’t carry in there homes. My response to this is I will place my every day in the car and drop my 38 into a pocket holster. I leave the empty holster on my hip; obviously nether has contemplated the idea that some one might have more than one weapon on there person. I in no way view this as being disrespectful just pragmatic. I should also point out that the soon to be son-in-law has a rather extensive firearms collection as well. Not that he carries, keeps them loaded, or has bothered to attempt educating his children about them. can you taste the hypocrisy…

irish

imported post

My wife's parents had a little apprehension at first but have since gotten over that and trust in the fact that one of the primary reasons I carry is to protect their daughter. Typically now in the summerwe're on our boat or in their pool and BBQ'ing so I have what I'm carrying in a Maxpedition bag as I'm always in board shorts.

Have you offered to take him shooting? Might be a good ice breaker to the subject. Maybe try emphasizing the fact that it's for protection, not only for yourself but for their daughter as well. And if not my solution would be not to go to someone's house who doesn't trust me or my judgment. It may cause alot of strife but my safety is much more important than their comfort.

Edit: I've only been married 8 months and my wife's 28 to give you an idea of age range I'm talking and we're not old married farts hanging out at Grandma's house :celebrate

madrevar

imported post

He has actually offered to go shooting, and completely understands the merits of carry. That all just turns off at his front door. Uncanny.

irish

imported post

madrevar wrote:
He has actually offered to go shooting, and completely understands the merits of carry. That all just turns off at his front door. Uncanny.
His house, his rules... I don't understand the logic behind it other than possible legal problems he may think he would encounter if there ever were an incident or accident. Sounds like you have 2 choices... conceal it without his knowledge which will eventually be found out and lead to a problem or don't go there carrying. Personally I wouldn't bother going to their house until he's changed his stance on how you choose to protect yourself and your loved ones. And I definitely wouldn't be waiting in the car :banghead:

rpyne

imported post

madrevar wrote:
My ongoing situation has to do with my girlfriend's father. I always OC unless working, and CC at those times. He has no problem with me carrying anywhere, except in his house.
Have you asked him why he doesn't think his daughter's life is worth protecting at home? Would he not allow a fire extinguisher or smoke detector in his home?

younggun20

imported post

Personally I have had only a problem with my step mother who doesn't like guns or me or the idea of me with a gun so once I step into my dads house I pull my shirt over and before I step out I tuck it back in. Its an agreement Me and my dad have came to.

Other than that My grandma is always worried about me being discriminated against for carrying everywhere I now go, but she is happy that I excessive my RTKABA... Maybe i can talk her into OCing with me one day to dinner.. hahahah what a scene that would be.. a 68 yr old lady with an oxygen tank over her shoulder and a pistol on her waist. :D

JBinMontana

imported post

I probably would of asked, "What restuarant you going to?" after that, I called a few of my other OC friends just to take a table at the same restuarant close to where they were sitting. I will not let family nor friends dictate to me where I can OC or where not to OC if I feel like it.

My friends and I, would have enjoyed our dinner :celebrate

saulsj

imported post

I run into resistance from my Dad on the issue rather frequently, even though he has his CCW permit.

He doesn't scoff at me for carrying, or throw a fit when I enter his home with it, he just thinks I'm asking for trouble doing it, and sees it fit to lecture me rather frequently on the issue.

My fiancee's parents live out of state, but they aren't crazy about me owning guns period... Her dad frequently asks me if I have better things to spend my money on, or why I have so many guns.

My mom doesn't care.

I've just grown immune to it - people either take me as I am, or can leave it. Simple as that.