• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

How does an 18-21 yr old acquire a handgun?

jeepinbanditrider

imported post

DreQo wrote:
jeepinbanditrider wrote:
DreQo wrote:
J-J-JUMP STATUS?! Wow I had no idea. Jeepin, we better watch ourselves! Hey Jeepin, how many times have you been deployed?

A big fat ZERO.:shock:

My wife's been deployed 3 times now and she's been in just as long as I have.
Huh, I thought you had lol. My bad :D. lol I knew your wife was over there now, but I didn't realize this was her third time! My buddy just went out for his third time last week. I guess I was lucky, only going once in my four years.

Had to sign a 5 year contract here LOL. Yeah she hasn't been to the Desert three times but while she was a reservist she went to Australia to support OEF and then later she went to Morocco to support African Lion. They basicly taught the Moroccans how to operate their small Air Force LOL.

Now she's out at Al-Asad.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

Busy girl! Al Asad's a walk in the park now-a-days. My deployment there started with getting mortared and rocketed every day (still got that ringing in my ear :D) but by the time I left we had taken out all of the threats in the area. It's been quiet there ever since.

jeepinbanditrider

imported post

DreQo wrote:
Busy girl! Al Asad's a walk in the park now-a-days. My deployment there started with getting mortared and rocketed every day (still got that ringing in my ear :D) but by the time I left we had taken out all of the threats in the area. It's been quiet there ever since.
Yeah she's living in a "can" with in room internet:D Only thing she has to leave for is to go to the head or towork or whatever.

hatteras

imported post

Just as a point of interest, and I do not wish to highjack this thread, but NC has a reciprocity agreement with Washington State as far as CCW is concerned. In other words if you get the CCW permit in Washington or NC you can carry a concealed weapon in the other state. A NC ccw permit also lets you purchase a weapon without getting a permit from the Sheriff Office. :cool:

Paratrooper82

imported post

Ok. I know this is going to be interesting, so here goes.

i recently reenlisted for a transfer to fort lewis, washington, so I no longer have to deal with NC laws, but here goes.

Regarding possessing a handgun between 18-20. Yes. Legal, as Dreqo has said.

Regarding the transfer of said handgun to a person between 18-20. Yes, legal, if said person has a valid Pistol Purchase Permit.

It is NOT illegal for you to get a PPP at 18, just really aggravating. Basically, you have to go to your county courthouse with a copy of the applicable laws and ask to either speak to their attorney, or sheriff, or someone with discretion, as they have the say.

Explain to them the law of possession (ie over 18).
Explain to them AND SHOW them the law regarding transfer. Point out that there is no age requirement other than the over 18.
And thirdly, try to convince them with a hypothetical question.
Hypothetical: Your father dies, you are 18. You have a clean record and live on your own. He wills you his pistols. Now, under NC law, you would not be able to take possession of those pistols until you provide the executor of the estate with PPP's. Explain that to him. They MIGHT give you gibe about its "policy". If they do, apply for the permit anyway. Once they deny you (they have to give you a letter with reason for denial within 7 days) go before the judge with your information and explain it to the judge. If it doesn't work, you're out $0.

This is from personal experience. it worked with the cumberland county sheriffs. They ended up stamping my applications with "Applicant Under 21" so a FFL wouldn't sell a handgun to me :quirky

Best of luck to you.

-John