• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

How many OC with their kids?

LoveMyCountry

State Researcher
imported post

FightingGlock19 wrote:
I think anybody who is responsable and has kids also has a moral obligation to do God's work if anybody tries to harm their children.

I don't do God's work - He does. I do what is required of me; to love, teach, provide for and protect what He has blessed me with, namely my family.

LoveMyCountry

FightingGlock19

imported post

LoveMyCountry wrote:
FightingGlock19 wrote:
I think anybody who is responsable and has kids also has a moral obligation to do God's work if anybody tries to harm their children.

I don't do God's work - He does. I do what is required of me; to love, teach, provide for and protect what He has blessed me with, namely my family.

LoveMyCountry
isn't loving your family & the rest of what you posted also God's work towards each of His? I'm glad we agree, in a round about way ;-)

bourneshooter

imported post

As I am not married, I don't have any kids to OC with. However, I have a bunch of siblings. OC all the time with them.

OC whenever my Future HH6 is around to. Her dad came up to her one day and asked her if I always carry a gun, or just whenever I come over to their house.

Somebody said on another forum I'm on, "If my pants are on, my gun is on."

mazellan819

imported post

One day my family and I went to the local Lowes hardware store. My son (6yo) decided, since I always carry, to strap on his toy cowboy cap gun. I thought it was pretty funny and so did my wife.Before we got out of the truckI explained to him that he was not to pull it out in the store. He needed to treat it with respect as if itwere real. He said ok and we went in. We didn't stay long but it was a fun learning experience for him.

I carry all the time. I mix OC with CC depending on my mood and the situation,mostly OC 75% of the time with or without the family. I have educated my son to not even mention the fact that I have a gun even though others can see it. He has only once said anything when he gave me a hug from the side and he said "daddy I touched your gun." I calmly explained that he doesn't need to broadcast it.

Maze

dng

State Researcher
imported post

mazellan819 wrote:
One day my family and I went to the local Lowes hardware store. My son (6yo) decided, since I always carry, to strap on his toy cowboy cap gun. I thought it was pretty funny and so did my wife.Before we got out of the truckI explained to him that he was not to pull it out in the store. He needed to treat it with respect as if itwere real. He said ok and we went in. We didn't stay long but it was a fun learning experience for him.

I carry all the time. I mix OC with CC depending on my mood and the situation,mostly OC 75% of the time with or without the family. I have educated my son to not even mention the fact that I have a gun even though others can see it. He has only once said anything when he gave me a hug from the side and he said "daddy I touched your gun." I calmly explained that he doesn't need to broadcast it.

Maze
It's great you're educating your son at such a young age. I plan on doing the same when I have kids. It's better than making firearms a mystery. I think it's wise to explain guns to them to do away with some of their natural curiousity. Obviously you still have to be careful around them, but I know when I was a little kid if someone told me not to touch something, or wouldn't explain something to me, that would be all I could think about or wanted to do. If the child knows what guns are, what they are for, how serious and careful you have to be with them, etc., I'll bet it reduces the chance for a tragic accident by quite a bit.

mazellan819

imported post

Yep, I was the same way when i was a kid. And my son is just like me and so that is why I teach him about them and even let him hold them while in my presence (unloaded of course) And I teach him the basic rules:

1. treat every gun as if it were loaded, even if you just watched someone check it.

2. when you receive the gun from someone point it in a safe direction thencheck it and make sure its not loaded.

3. three is most important for children... they are NEVER allowed to touch any of my guns unless I am present (even though they are on me or locked up) and part of number three is if they ever see a gun outside or anywhere they are not to touch it and go get an adult.

Most of the accidental deaths for children start with failures from parents not teaching their children the rules or being careless and allowing access for kids to their guns. It just makes me mad when i hear of kids getting a hold of unsecured guns and killing themselves or someone else. I think that when this happens the parents should be charged with a crime.

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

mazellan819 wrote:
Yep, I was the same way when i was a kid. And my son is just like me and so that is why I teach him about them and even let him hold them while in my presence (unloaded of course) And I teach him the basic rules:

1. treat every gun as if it were loaded, even if you just watched someone check it.

2. when you receive the gun from someone point it in a safe direction thencheck it and make sure its not loaded.

3. three is most important for children... they are NEVER allowed to touch any of my guns unless I am present (even though they are on me or locked up) and part of number three is if they ever see a gun outside or anywhere they are not to touch it and go get an adult.

Most of the accidental deaths for children start with failures from parents not teaching their children the rules or being careless and allowing access for kids to their guns. It just makes me mad when i hear of kids getting a hold of unsecured guns and killing themselves or someone else. I think that when this happens the parents should be charged with a crime.

+1

I hate it when people say that showing your kids a gun is a bad thing. Kids are naturally curious about stuff that their parents try to hide from them. We have the same rules in our home, and we recite the weekly. My daughter is 4 and she sees guns every day, and I am glad. Whenever I leave for work, my wife will ask if I have my phone. (Because I sometimes forget to grab it.) Then my little girl will ask, "Daddy, do you have your gun?" Sure do sweetie!

lax

imported post

I'm looking forward to the end of March, when my son will OC along with me on his birthday. I think I'll still have to purchase ammo for him though.

murphyslaw

State Researcher
imported post

As I do not have children I can not say yes, thou when I do have children I certainly will.

I Carry 96% of the time I leave the house. So to me it doesn't matter who I am with.

With me growing up There was only a few rifles around for hunting. It wasn't until I was 20 that I started to get interested in firearms outside of hunting. My father isnt a gun person and still to this day he will question me about my choice to own firearms and carry them. My grandfather was the one that gave me my hunting rifle and when I told him I wanted a pistol he was excited. He had been disappointed in how my father elected to try and isolate me from firearms. Over the years of owning firearms and enjoying them immensely, I have decided that is it best to educate your children about them early instead of ignoring them.

I have found that it is the children that don't know about guns that get hurt by them. It is my intention to teach my children the value of a firearm and to respect them at a very early age, in hopes of instilling safety in there minds with out then knowing it.