• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

How to ban OC at Hoedown..change venue

PDinDetroit

Agreed... (I mentioned it in the first paragraph, though :p). But, I probably could have reiterated that we don't even know what the policy may be. Even then, if firearms are banned...if asked to reconsider, they may. Thank you for accentuating that point... an oh-so-very-important point.

You are most welcome!

wardog4life

Read my previous post...then read it again. If you still can't grasp what I'm saying, then go play in a parking lot.

Instead of a parking lot. Try the double yellow down Dixie as it may serve you better from your past experiences.

PDinDetroit

Interesting thought: I would believe that either MI Law or Detroit Ordinance prevents Alcohol being Consumed on Public Property and with Minors not being accompanied by Adults where Alcohol being Consumed. I would believe that Jon Witz would not want to have "beer tents" only after previous discussions with him on the topic.

More than one way to "skin a cat".... :dude:

steve jaye

Found this in the Michigan’s Freedom of Information Act document.

Lots of talk about that word authority.

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/documents/publications/openmtgsfreedom.pdf

Key Definitions:
“Public body” means:
• a state officer, employee, agency, department, division, bureau, board, commission, council, AUTHORITY, or other body in
the executive branch of the state government, but does not include the governor or lieutenant governor, the executive office of
the governor or lieutenant governor, or employees thereof;
• an agency, board, commission, or council in the legislative branch of the state government;
• a county, city, township, village, intercounty, intercity, or regional governing body, council, school district, special
district, or municipal corporation, or a board, department, commission, council or agency thereof; or
• any other body which is created by state or local AUTHORITY or which is primarily funded by or through state or local
AUTHORITY

kubel

I'm sensing a little bit of douchebaggery in this thread (and not just this thread). What ever happened to "an armed society is a polite society"? Or at least, "an armed society is a polite society in public but uses the PM system to be a douchebag", at least that would be a little less shameful.

SpringerXDacp

All excellent questions, no one here will be able to answer with any certainty.

It could well be that the Hoedown goes down not even trying to Ban Firearm Carry. Do we even know the answer to that question?

That's entirely possible, but you can bet that it was certainly discussed at length to prepare for this event. Some of the main concerns for the new location would be ease of ingress and egress. Also, with this being a ticketed event, they now have a means of crowd control (right this way...) and a deterrent to help keep out the less than desirables.

Glock9mmOldStyle

Campaign Veteran
Fubar!

That's entirely possible, but you can bet that it was certainly discussed at length to prepare for this event. Some of the main concerns for the new location would be ease of ingress and egress. Also, with this being a ticketed event, they now have a means of crowd control (right this way...) and a deterrent to help keep out the less than desirables.

If they try to charge for this event, plus move it, rest assured it will go the way of the dinosaur's. Also as a citizen of detroit I would be livid as my tax dollars are being pissed away on such foolishness! Typical Detroit d'bag leadership at work. Hey at least they are consistent :(

Hyperion

That is a wise thing to do.

BTW - I know the Lawyers have been not keen on the idea of challenging CADL per MCL 124.502 and MCL 124.504. I still believe that the case would be won quickest using that argument. While it may not set the precedent that some may want, THE GOAL IS TO WIN.

CADL is formed of County of Ingham and the City of Lansing. The County of Ingham and the City of Lansing appoint members to the CADL Board. Upon dissolution, the assets of CADL would be distributed between the County of Ingham and the City of Lansing. It is a JOINT EXERCISE OF POWER to provide Library Services under the District Library Act for the County of Ingham and the City of Lansing. Due to this, MCL 124.504 clearly applies and CADL would therefore be Preempted.

From the Michigan District Library Law:

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/hal_lm_distliblaw_51001_7.pdf

Since this law was passed in 1989, the Michigan Legislators would have been clearly aware of the URBAN COOPERATION ACT OF 1967.

But hey, what do I know? :confused:

IT DOES SEEM CLEARER EACH TIME I LOOK AT IT THAT MCL 124.504 IS THE WAY TO DEFEAT CADL ONCE AND FOR ALL.

CADL was formed under the Michigan District Libraries Establishment Act, not the Urban Cooperation Act. Each act may, and in this example does, have its own definitions. And, as observed elsewhere in this thread, there are a more than a few statutes that define "local unit of government" or "local governmental unit". If there was an all-encompassing definition found somewhere, that would be wonderful. But, where a definition is provided within an enabling act, that's the definition you are stuck with.

Remember, there are four issues to be addressed in the pending appeal: (1) the District Libraries Establishment Act does not convey the legal authority to CADL to promulgate rules or regulations regarding firearms on public property; (2) CADL is expressly preempted and impliedly preempted from such promulgation; (3) CADL's promulgations violate constitutionally protected rights and the trial court did not conduct or implement any constitutional analysis or test; and, (4) Open carry is not criminal "brandishing".