• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

How to get massive media attention for the OC movement

Ruby

I'd like to say that going to the airport and protesting would be more of a "Stop TSA from Searching us" than a Second Amendment issue. You would be arguing for the searches to stop and making more noise by being armed. We're already allowed in the airport, so there's not much to gain from it.

Now, I must put in my $.02 on another one of the issues. Someone gets harassed for carrying at a park/ coffee shop. This action causes you to contact friends and say "In response to this event, we're going to gather a group of people and go there". This is NOT normal daily activity. How many of you on a daily basis say "Hey, let me grab 20 or 30 people, drag them to a park and hope for attention". I'm thinking not many. So we can't criticize him for wanting to gather a group for attention since at the coffee shops, parks and anywhere else that the groups decide to gather, they hope for attention from the public, police and the news.

Again, this is all just my opinion. =]

I was at the event in Spanaway. We were there to bring attention to the fact that the civil rights of one of our members was violated. Same was true of the picnic in Vancouver. There was a clear purpose to both events.

As you pointed out, we are already allowed to OC at the airport. So what would the point of an event there be? It would have nothing to do with OC, besides it would cause a disruption and is illegal. As far as I can see, there is no correlation between the two whatsoever.

xxx.jakk.xxx

I was at the event in Spanaway. We were there to bring attention to the fact that the civil rights of one of our members was violated. Same was true of the picnic in Vancouver. There was a clear purpose to both events.

As you pointed out, we are already allowed to OC at the airport. So what would the point of an event there be? It would have nothing to do with OC, besides it would cause a disruption and is illegal. As far as I can see, there is no correlation between the two whatsoever.

I was just saying that these large group get togethers aren't exactly "everyday activities". It is also what he was suggesting, so it isn't out of the ordinary for the group.

I would like to hear how this would help the OC movement from the OP. I think it could only hurt the OC movement by protesting a right that we already have.

*Afterthought*
I'm really glad that at least 1 person noticed my post. Kwikrnu kind of jumped in right after me and started in with being nonproductive (no offense) and made my post kind of invisible...

Last edited:

kwikrnu

Banned
I was just saying that these large group get togethers aren't exactly "everyday activities". It is also what he was suggesting, so it isn't out of the ordinary for the group.

I would like to hear how this would help the OC movement from the OP. I think it could only hurt the OC movement by protesting a right that we already have.

*Afterthought*
I'm really glad that at least 1 person noticed my post. Kwikrnu kind of jumped in right after me and started in with being nonproductive (no offense) and made my post kind of invisible...

Why would you "protest a right we already have"? Open carry gatherings draw attention and show we are unafraid to exercise rights.

Ruby

*Afterthought*

I'm sure that other people besides me noticed your post, they just didn't reply. Let's not even get into discussing Kwikrnu. See my previous post; the scenario that the OP preposes would only hurt OC, which is exactly why I asked him whose side he was on. There are people on the board that post ridiculous things just to get a rise out of other people; best thing to do is ignore them and let the thread die. They are simply looking for attention.

xxx.jakk.xxx

Why would you "protest a right we already have"? Open carry gatherings draw attention and show we are unafraid to exercise rights.

I'm going to try to resist feeding the troll that you have become. I'd just like to know why you'd want to bring negative attention for no reason other than having negative attention? There's nothing to gain from this except negative media attention and an argument for anti-gun crackpots.

kwikrnu

Banned
See my previous post; the scenario that the OP preposes would only hurt OC...

:rolleyes: Open carry is a legal activity how will the legal exercise of a fundamental civil right hurt that right? Do you have an example of a right lost because of the exercise of the right?

kwikrnu

Banned
I'm going to try to resist feeding the troll that you have become. I'd just like to know why you'd want to bring negative attention for no reason other than having negative attention? There's nothing to gain from this except negative media attention and an argument for anti-gun crackpots.

The exercise of a fundamental civil right does not need explanation.

Ruby

And there's nothing to gain by engaging in conversation with Kwik. Or the OP for that matter. Don't answer either one and let this thread die. They will just feed off of whatever you post to keep this negative thread going. Just let it die. Moving on.....

Trigger Dr

I believe that IF one was to READ the OP again, and read it for CONTENT, one would seethat the OP was not suggesting this, but merely bring up a question .

Ruby

I believe that IF one was to READ the OP again, and read it for CONTENT, one would seethat the OP was not suggesting this, but merely bring up a question .

Trigger Dr, I beg to disagree. I went back and read his very first post at the beginning of the thread. He definitely WAS suggesting this and gave his version of how it might be accomplished. There was NO question anywhere in his post. I not only read for content, I also read for intent, and the intent in this post was not positive.

xxx.jakk.xxx

Ruby said:
And there's nothing to gain by engaging in conversation with Kwik. Or the OP for that matter. Don't answer either one and let this thread die. They will just feed off of whatever you post to keep this negative thread going. Just let it die. Moving on.....

I will take your advice after answering 1 last Kwik question since I do not actually dislike kwik, just what he has become after all of the outrage at his actions.

Kwikrnu said:
Open carry is a legal activity how will the legal exercise of a fundamental civil right hurt that right? Do you have an example of a right lost because of the exercise of the right?

Black Panthers marching on state capitals causing MANY restrictions to be placed on firearm ownership and carry because they were lawfully carrying firearms. =\

Ruby

Trigger Dr, I meant no disrespect to you in my last post. Of course we are all entitled to our own opinions; perhaps you see something differently than I do and that's okay. Neither one of us has to be right or wrong. I have far too much respect for you to argue with you over something like this. I just tend to get upset whenever someone suggests doing something so idiotic that would hurt OC and negate all the hard work that so many have done for so long. I am new to the forum and OC, I have only been on the board since May. But I have a great deal of respect for everyone on here who took the lumps and bumps, took the risks, stood up for OC and paved the way for those of us who are recent additions here. That's why it frosts my cookies when someone who should know better gets on here and suggests such stupidity.

Dave_pro2a

Black Panthers marching on state capitals causing MANY restrictions to be placed on firearm ownership and carry because they were lawfully carrying firearms. =\

Because if the black panthers had never marched, then today in CA you could:

Buy a non-neutered AR15, AK47, etc.
Buy a .50 rifle.
Buy 'normal capacity' mags that hold more than 10 rounds.
Apply and actually recieve a CCW.
OC a loaded handgun.
Etc.

Yes, those damn Black Panthers and their march is what caused CA to pass antigun laws. It never would have happened without racism, never.

That's because rational politicans like Diane Fineswine & Jim McDermutt keep getting elected and if it wasn't for Black Panthers they'd be fighting for our gun rights (yes I know those are fed reps, but the state legislator is jam packed with just as many nutty anti-gun liberals lawmakers).

Anyways, back to reality. I think all those same anti-gun laws would have passed, just at a slower rate.

kwikrnu

Banned

Unconstitutional restrictions were placed on the right. The right was not lost. In fact, in California unloaded open carry is legal in most places.