• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

How's this for an idea

LEO 229

imported post

Mr. Y wrote:
The bill of rights was not penned out of the citizens individual needs, it was penned as a restriction upon the federal gov't as the supreme law of the land. I need to breath in order to survive, but have no specifically enumerated right to do so is the USC. You would do well to note the various wordings of the state constitutions concerning the RKBA. Many contain additional qualifiers, such as "for defense of self and state" or 'subject to the police power' etc. These are inclusions that amount to a statutory restriction upon the right. When the right is penned as silent to the qualifiers, it is to be interpreted broadly. Thus, the previous poster who indicated that the 'regulation of the manner of exercise' *IS* an infringement is correct. IMO, once the courts started down the path of an "acceptable interpretation to reach the desired outcome" it was the start of the slippery slope toward the monolithic .gov we are saddled with today.

stop signs are a want, not a need. We could do just as well with roundabouts.

You ask if in the act of open carrying I am defending the state. As a matter of fact I am and I accept your thanks for doing my part to keep the streets safe.
Ha... Works for me!

Hey... I am just happy I can own a gun. I enjoy shooting. Soon I will enjoy shooting full auto.

LEO 229

imported post

Mine is magazine fed.. 30 rounds x 4 mags

Wife speak-a good Engrish.

Tax return paid for 1/2 the gun.

Just happy to own one now!!

Virginiaplanter

imported post

Nobody has been able to answer this with a concise answer.

What good does it serve to issue permits? Where is the wrong in letting someone that can otherwise buy/own/oc a gun carry it without having to go through permit BS?

Here you go. The History of concealed carry permits in Virginia is clear and easy. It's because free white Virginian's had a problem with a Black Man with a Gun, and Indians and mulattoes, and Papists.

The Act of 1732 stated, "And that all negroes, mulattos, or indians, bond or free, living at any frontier plantation, be permitted to keep and use guns, powder, and shot, or other weapons, offensive, or defensive; having first obtained a license for the same, from some justice of the peace of the county wherein such plantation lie; the said license to be had and obtained, upon the application of such free negroes, mulattos, or Indians, or the owners of such as are slaves, any thing herein contained to the contrary thereof, in any wise, notwithstanding."

The act of 1756 Disarming Papists, "That no Papist, or reputed Papist so refusing, or making default as aforesaid, shall, or may have, or keep in his house or elsewhere, or in the possession of any other person to his use, or at his disposition, any arms, weapons, gunpowder or ammunition, (other than such necessary weapons as shall be allowed to him, by order of the justices of the peace at their court, for the defence of his house or person)

In 1831 a black man with an ax and other arms named Nat Turner started a Slave insurrection and in response to this the General Assembly passed the first concealed Weapon law affecting both black and white in 1838. Eventually concealed carry became associated with unsavory people or “ruffians”.

The people in power today try to keep their perceived enemies disarmed. To keep them as slaves. In Today's society, anybody who is not the "State" is the enemy. That's why you need a permit, so the people in power can keep control so they know who may be an enemy of the state. If you become a threat to them, they disarm you by taking away your permit or severely limiting your access to places with or without the permit. If you open carry or exercise your right to bear arms people perceive that as a threat because you are an unknown quantity or not a “LEO” who they have been culturally educated to believe is the safety and security of a free state, and not the Militia. Ironically, The first person convicted of concealed carry in Virginia was a LEO. The Ruffians of today are people who open carry, because the People themselves have become the enemy of the state.

savery

imported post

Ok, let's bust out the VA constitution.

http://legis.state.va.us/Laws/search/Constitution.htm

Section 13. Militia; standing armies; military subordinate to civil power.

That a well regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defense of a free state, therefore, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed; that standing armies, in time of peace, should be avoided as dangerous to liberty; and that in all cases the military should be under strict subordination to, and governed by, the civil power.

There you have it folks! First the constitution of the United States of America, now the Virginia constitution! Well we must be on to something.

"well it doesn't say concealed carry"
Puh-leeze. I used to think that type of argument only came out of the mouths of antis. Now i'm hearing it on a Pro-RKBA forum? Does this shock anyone else?

"it doesn't say you can have 10+ rounds"
"it doesn't say assault weapons"
"it doesn't say that you can have as many as you want"

This type of crap is obscene. I have the right to breathe, take a dump, choose water or soda, and they aren't mentioned in any constitution.

Tomahawk

imported post

savery wrote:

"well it doesn't say concealed carry"
Puh-leeze. I used to think that type of argument only came out of the mouths of antis. Now i'm hearing it on a Pro-RKBA forum? Does this shock anyone else?

"it doesn't say you can have 10+ rounds"
"it doesn't say assault weapons"
"it doesn't say that you can have as many as you want"

More importantly, it doesn't say you can't have any of those things, therefore you can.

With respect to people, what is not prohibited is authorized.

With respect to government/LEOs/other gov. employees on duty: what is not authorized is prohibited.

glocknroll

imported post

Virginiaplanter wrote:
Nobody has been able to answer this with a concise answer.

What good does it serve to issue permits? Where is the wrong in letting someone that can otherwise buy/own/oc a gun carry it without having to go through permit BS?

Here you go. The History of concealed carry permits in Virginia is clear and easy. It's because free white Virginian's had a problem with a Black Man with a Gun, and Indians and mulattoes, and Papists.

The Act of 1732 stated, "And that all negroes, mulattos, or indians, bond or free, living at any frontier plantation, be permitted to keep and use guns, powder, and shot, or other weapons, offensive, or defensive; having first obtained a license for the same, from some justice of the peace of the county wherein such plantation lie; the said license to be had and obtained, upon the application of such free negroes, mulattos, or Indians, or the owners of such as are slaves, any thing herein contained to the contrary thereof, in any wise, notwithstanding."

The act of 1756 Disarming Papists, "That no Papist, or reputed Papist so refusing, or making default as aforesaid, shall, or may have, or keep in his house or elsewhere, or in the possession of any other person to his use, or at his disposition, any arms, weapons, gunpowder or ammunition, (other than such necessary weapons as shall be allowed to him, by order of the justices of the peace at their court, for the defence of his house or person)

In 1831 a black man with an ax and other arms named Nat Turner started a Slave insurrection and in response to this the General Assembly passed the first concealed Weapon law affecting both black and white in 1838. Eventually concealed carry became associated with unsavory people or “ruffians”.

The people in power today try to keep their perceived enemies disarmed. To keep them as slaves. In Today's society, anybody who is not the "State" is the enemy. That's why you need a permit, so the people in power can keep control so they know who may be an enemy of the state. If you become a threat to them, they disarm you by taking away your permit or severely limiting your access to places with or without the permit. If you open carry or exercise your right to bear arms people perceive that as a threat because you are an unknown quantity or not a “LEO” who they have been culturally educated to believe is the safety and security of a free state, and not the Militia. Ironically, The first person convicted of concealed carry in Virginia was a LEO. The Ruffians of today are people who open carry, because the People themselves have become the enemy of the state.
For the uninformed, Papists are Catholics.