• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Hunter education in the schools

Trigger Dr

imported post

Can we get it here? Probably not but it may be worth a try,

[align=justify]WEST VIRGINIA TO BRING HUNTER EDUCATION INTO SCHOOLS . . . West Virginia Gov. Joe Manchin III signed into law Senate Bill 9, which directs the state Board of Education to develop a hunter education program for use in the state's public schools. An instructor from the state's Division of Natural Resources will offer the class over a two-week period as an elective to students in grades six through twelve as part of the physical education class, general education curriculum or after-school programming.[/align]

Bear 45/70

imported post

Trigger Dr wrote:
Can we get it here? Probably not but it may be worth a try,

[align=justify]]http://www.ussportsmen.org/Read.cfm?ID=2263]WEST VIRGINIA TO BRING HUNTER EDUCATION INTO SCHOOLS[/url] . . . West Virginia Gov. Joe Manchin III signed into law ]http://www.legis.state.wv.us/Bill_Text_HTML/2008_SESSIONS/RS/BILLS/SB9%20SUB1.htm]Senate Bill 9[/url], which directs the state Board of Education to develop a ]http://www.ussportsmen.org/Read.cfm?ID=2263]hunter education program[/url] for use in the state's public schools. An instructor from the state's Division of Natural Resources will offer the class over a two-week period as an elective to students in grades six through twelve as part of the physical education class, general education curriculum or after-school programming.[/align]
None of the links work.

bcp

imported post

uncoolperson wrote:
Sure do wish i could've gotten out of PE with that...
In the late 1950's, I took no PE in high school. The class that met the requirements was the rifle team. One period a day target shooting for 4 years, at their expense!

Bruce

Jim675

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I had NRA instructors for smallbore in a public junior high in Iowa in the 70's. We did archery as well. My memory may be hazy but I can't recall any mass shootings during the class.

Jim675

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I'm not sure how much freedom individual school districts have in WA. Anyone know if they can elect to do this or does it have to approved by State? How about a private school? (Not that they'd ever try, at least on the left side o' the state.)