• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Hunting bills

JesterP99

Here's just a random question about the retrieval law. My dogs escape my property quite a bit and I have to chase them down. I actually invested in a gps tracker just so I could locate them quickly. Am I allowed to go on private property, unarmed, in order to retrieve them? Is that covered under the retrieval law even though they aren't "hunting dogs" persay.

I ask because I had some nosy neighbor yell at me saying I couldn't go back in the woods to get my dogs even though I knew right where they were.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Here's just a random question about the retrieval law. My dogs escape my property quite a bit and I have to chase them down. I actually invested in a gps tracker just so I could locate them quickly. Am I allowed to go on private property, unarmed, in order to retrieve them? Is that covered under the retrieval law even though they aren't "hunting dogs" persay.

I ask because I had some nosy neighbor yell at me saying I couldn't go back in the woods to get my dogs even though I knew right where they were.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4

No, it's not under the RIR law Jester.

§ 18.2-136. Right of certain hunters to go on lands of another; carrying firearms or bows and arrows prohibited.
Fox hunters and coon hunters, when the chase begins on other lands, may follow their dogs on prohibited lands, and hunters of all other game, when the chase begins on other lands, may go upon prohibited lands to retrieve their dogs, falcons, hawks, or owls but may not carry firearms or bows and arrows on their persons or hunt any game while thereon. The use of vehicles to retrieve dogs, falcons, hawks, or owls on prohibited lands shall be allowed only with the permission of the landowner or his agent. Any person who goes on prohibited lands to retrieve his dogs, falcons, hawks, or owls pursuant to this section and who willfully refuses to identify himself when requested by the landowner or his agent to do so is guilty of a Class 4 misdemeanor.
(Code 1950, § 29-168; 1964, c. 600; 1975, cc. 14, 15; 1988, c. 593; 1991, cc. 317, 327; 2007, cc. 145, 658; 2011, c. 191.)

It only applies to hunting...If it were my dog though, I'd get it and I doubt any cop in the world would say different.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
The Senate Version of Sunday Hunting has now been signed. It's only a mirror of the House Bill which was already signed and sealed. Fight's over for now.

Kirby had bragged he had the Governor in his pocket and was going to use this bill to amend Sunday Hunting. Looks like he has a hole in his pocket and egg on his face.

The two big victories for the year are Sunday Hunting and the ability to use muzzle loading handguns.
No losses.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I've read this whole thread, and I still can't figure out why someone would hunt bills. I know I certainly have enough already ;)

Roscoe
Certain subphylum are considered nuisance species. Some people avoid bills with a passion, others become bill collectors - they are a breed apart.:)

Repeater

I've read this whole thread, and I still can't figure out why someone would hunt bills. I know I certainly have enough already ;)

Roscoe

This bill has its privileges:

McAuliffe names Bill Bolling to game board
Gov. Terry McAuliffe has named former Lt. Gov. Bill Bolling to an unpaid position on the board of the Department of Game and Inland Fisheries.

The department oversees hunting, freshwater fishing, boating and other activities. Bolling, a Republican who in January completed his second term as lieutenant governor, is an avid fisherman.

So T-Mac helps brute, uh bill, whatever.

Does it help us?

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
This bill has its privileges:

McAuliffe names Bill Bolling to game board

So T-Mac helps brute, uh bill, whatever.

Does it help us?

Probably doesn't make any difference either way Repeater. Bolling has been asleep since he was elected Lt. Governor. The only way we knew he wasn't dead was that he moved once in a while.
What it does show is what color Bolling really is under that Earl Sheib paint job.:eek:

va_tazdad

Probably doesn't make any difference either way Repeater. Bolling has been asleep since he was elected Lt. Governor. The only way we knew he wasn't dead was that he moved once in a while.
What it does show is what color Bolling really is under that Earl Sheib paint job.:eek:

T-Mac is just trying to show idiots he can work with Republicans, just like the appointment of the former Republican to be Chairman of the ABC which failed.

T-Mac will be as bad for Virginia as NObama has been for the country.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
T-Mac is just trying to show idiots he can work with Republicans, just like the appointment of the former Republican to be Chairman of the ABC which failed.

T-Mac will be as bad for Virginia as NObama has been for the country.

Yep Taz!

I'm sure the only reason he approved Sunday Hunting was to muster support among gun owners while not signing any outright gun bills. Worked pretty well too.
I ain't falling for it but I'll take the SH bill any way I can get it but that doesn't mean I trust him any further than I can toss Mack truck.