• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

I bought a new toy today!

richarcm

imported post

bordsnbikes wrote:
Dustin wrote:
bordsnbikes wrote:
Have her try a Glock next time, they have a lower bore axis so you won't get as much muzzle flip.

That's completely false.

Glocks weigh an average 21 oz. This is why Glocks have MORE recoil than heavier handguns. This is simple physics friend ;)

CZ has the lowest bore angle of any handgun I've shot/seen/handled.
A lower bore axis has nothing to do with weight stud.

Once again, I have a different opinion from the rest of you folks. Maybe I shouldn't bother.
In my opinion....the XD9 wasn't any harder or easier to shoot than the 1911. Who cares anyways? Yes, it may have slightly more recoil than the Glock....a Corvette has slightly more spin at acceleration than a GT500....who cares? The recoil isn't exactly ideal but it does give the gun character. Is the additional recoil (assuming that it does exist which I've heard that it does) that an XD9 has over a Glock all THAT noticable? Geebus! I'm sure some of you gun "experts" can feel the difference but I doubt that the average person could. If you don't like the XD then you certainly do not have to buy it. I have one and I have ZERO problems with it. It shot pretty consistent groups for my first time with it at the range, feels PERFECT in my hands and is fairly attractive. If you prefer the Glock then be original and get one. I'm sure they are nice guns as well. I've shot them before and liked them.

What other negative direction can we take this thread?

AbNo

imported post

bordsnbikes wrote:
Dustin wrote:
bordsnbikes wrote:
Have her try a Glock next time, they have a lower bore axis so you won't get as much muzzle flip.

That's completely false.

Glocks weigh an average 21 oz. This is why Glocks have MORE recoil than heavier handguns. This is simple physics friend ;)

Once again, I have a different opinion from the rest of you folks. Maybe I shouldn't bother.
Because, as we all know, Glocks are made from SOLID GOLD, and far superior to every other gun on the planet.

At least, according to Glock fans. :lol:

Dustin

imported post

bordsnbikes wrote:
Dustin wrote:
bordsnbikes wrote:

That's completely false.

You should read completely before you reply. I never said Bore axis had ANYTHING to do with weight.

I was referring to you saying Glocks have a low recoil.

Glocks have the biggest recoil of all polymer pistols I've fired, b/c of their WEIGHT.

And as Abno suggest, maybe if they were made out of gold, they would have less recoil.

diesel556

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

Dustin wrote:
And as Abno suggest, maybe if they were made out of gold, they would have less recoil.
I'd buy one!

I love my XD9. Everyone who shoots it loves how smooth and easy it feels during recoil. I do have to say that I wouldn't mind having an XDM40 though. ;)

Dustin

imported post

diesel556 wrote:
Dustin wrote:
I'd buy one!

I love my XD9. Everyone who shoots it loves how smooth and easy it feels during recoil. I do have to say that I wouldn't mind having an XDM40 though. ;)

I wouldn't buy a glock, but if somoene gave me one I'd keep it :p

The XDM 40 is nice, and weighing 32.oz empty, it has alot less recoil than the G22 and the XD-40 service. It feels more like the push of a 1911 .45ACP.

bordsnbikes

imported post

Dustin wrote:
bordsnbikes wrote:
Dustin wrote:
bordsnbikes wrote:

That's completely false.

You should read completely before you reply. I never said Bore axis had ANYTHING to do with weight.

Glocks have the biggest recoil of all polymer pistols I've fired, b/c of their WEIGHT.

Muzzle flip is different than recoil.

richarcm

imported post

bordsnbikes wrote:
Dustin wrote:

While the muzzle flip may be more pronounced in the XD than in the Glock it wasn't extreme and didn't bother me. The XD, overall, felt pretty balanced. I've shot guns that feel much worse.

Dustin

imported post

bordsnbikes wrote:
Dustin wrote:
bordsnbikes wrote:
Dustin wrote:
bordsnbikes wrote:

That's completely false.

Wow, Let me break this down barney style.

You say Glocks have a low muzzle flip/recoil b/c their bore axis is lower.

I say, BS. Glocks have huge recoil b/c of their low weight.

You say ??

bordsnbikes

imported post

Alright barney...

They may have more recoil because of weight, but they have less flip because of the lower bore axis. Muzzle flip is more of an upward motion, recoil is more of a backward motion. Less flippy flippy, more backy backy. I'm done with this "discussion"

Dustin

imported post

bordsnbikes wrote:
Alright barney...

They may have more recoil because of weight, but they have less flip because of the lower bore axis. Muzzle flip is more of an upward motion, recoil is more of a backward motion. Less flippy flippy, more backy backy. I'm done with this "discussion"

Um, Ok.

Eitherway,

Recoil/Flip = all the same.

Unless it's a cannon, tied down to the floor, the recoil is going to go upwards.

To keep something from going upwards, you'll need an opposite force.

I do agree that .45 1911's have more of a push, than any .40 I've fired. The .40's seem more snappy. Still doesn't matter when it comes to the Glocks. Glocks are very light, and allow for recoil/flip - Whatever you want to call it. :cool:

richarcm

imported post

Recoil and muzzle flip are brought upon by the same force but are different reactions to the force. The gun and your hand come together at a specific point defined by your grip. The closer the point of the force (barrel) is to your fist the more of what you feel is recoil. As the barrel moves further from your grip, normally up and down, the further up or down that force is in relationship to your grip. As the force gets higher in relationship to your grip the more that force acts as a lever on your grip and thus moves the barrel of the gun up rather than just back. Because the barrel of the XD9 is higher than the Glock the energy is defined more as muzzle flip but as a result also has less recoil because the energy is diverted up instead of in. If you are at all into cars think of it as center of gravity.

Weight also plays a role as weight is the opposite reaction to the recoil/flip energy. The more the gun weighs the less noticable the recoil/flip will be.

In regards to my purchase, yes, technically there may be a small amount of additional muzzle flip when compared to the Glock however there would also theoretically be less recoil. However any differences are not significant and so I really don't care that much. I love the gun, it shoots accurately and it feels GREAT in myhands.

I'd certainly recommend it.

CrossFire

imported post

richarcm wrote:
Recoil and muzzle flip are brought upon by the same force but are different reactions to the force. The gun and your hand come together at a specific point defined by your grip. The closer the point of the force (barrel) is to your fist the more of what you feel is recoil. As the barrel moves further from your grip, normally up and down, the further up or down that force is in relationship to your grip. As the force gets higher in relationship to your grip the more that force acts as a lever on your grip and thus moves the barrel of the gun up rather than just back. Because the barrel of the XD9 is higher than the Glock the energy is defined more as muzzle flip but as a result also has less recoil because the energy is diverted up instead of in. If you are at all into cars think of it as center of gravity.

Weight also plays a role as weight is the opposite reaction to the recoil/flip energy. The more the gun weighs the less noticable the recoil/flip will be.

In regards to my purchase, yes, technically there may be a small amount of additional muzzle flip when compared to the Glock however there would also theoretically be less recoil. However any differences are not significant and so I really don't care that much. I love the gun, it shoots accurately and it feels GREAT in myhands.

I'd certainly recommend it.

I agree, I have an XD9SC and an XD45 4" service. I love both of those guns. There are many guns that I would love to own, Glock not being one, but I will never be without my XD's. I am also planning the purchase of an XD 1911.

richarcm

imported post

Well so far the only negatives have come from the Glock guys and they were only negative in relation to the Glocks which of course doesn't mean anything because we all know that Glocks represent perfection. :dude:

Dustin

imported post

richarcm wrote:
we all know that Glocks represent perfection.

27.gif