• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

I found this puzzling

ODA 226

imported post

old dog wrote:
[align=left]

My question is: 1) what does this have to do with proficiency, and
2)has anyone else encountered this?

I got the same crap from some a$$hat when I first qualified at the police academy. I had one jagged hole in the middle of the forehead of the "Coke Bottle" target. The 'instructor" told me that he couldn't count the number of hits and that I would have to shoot again and that I have should not have shot the target in the head.Of course I protested to no avail. (At Mott Lake we were trained to shoot at a 2-inch band across the eyes. Old habits die hard I guess!)[/align]
I re-shot at the center of the target and again there was one jagged hole, this time in dead center of the target. The instructor told me I was a wise ass and to get off of "his" range.

He had to give me 50 out of 50 because the Senior Rangemaster was watching and confirmed the score.

HPC9

imported post

I didn't have time to read the entire thread because I am on break at work. Sorry if this has been mentioned already.

My guess is if it is required to have 50 hits in a designated area then how does an instructor prove you qualified if you have one ragged hole that could of been made with 20 good shots? Someone that wanted to make that instructors life difficult could argue they passed you with a failing score.

Not saying its good or bad, just saying that could be the rational.

rodbender

imported post

Premo wrote:
I didn't have time to read the entire thread because I am on break at work. Sorry if this has been mentioned already.

My guess is if it is required to have 50 hits in a designated area then how does an instructor prove you qualified if you have one ragged hole that could of been made with 20 good shots? Someone that wanted to make that instructors life difficult could argue they passed you with a failing score.

Not saying its good or bad, just saying that could be the rational.
Anyone with the ability to make one jagged hole with 20 shots can probably do it with 50.

chiefjason

imported post

I had quite the CC class. I shot one huge hole, .45 cal. But it was a bit low and left. Jerking the trigger a bit. Went to a 9mm after the class. The one armed guy had a better looking target than I did. :lol: The guy next to me shooting the 1911 was pretty mean with it. An old guy on the other side of the range pointed the gun at his stomach when he tried to unload a round. The RO had to grab the gun and put his finger under the exposed hammer to keep him from shooting himself. He was asked to leave. One lady, with little gun experience, went through 3 guns trying to find something she could use. Finally ended up shooting a .22. We shot 100 rds total. Needless to say the range took a long time. But after 100 rds they knew who could and who could not handle a weapon. Overall they did a good job of handling everyone. I did not find out about the old guy for a few weeks.