• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

I inquired about carrying at the local walmart today.

bennwj

imported post

[sup]I read your thread at Glocktalk when you posted it there and I still agree with them that you should not have said anything.

There is another guy here on this forum who OC'd in a Food Lion in Charlotte and freaked the manager out.

The result will likely be a fresh sign posted at that Food Lion banning the carrying of firearms. Then folks who carry concealed will no longer be able to carry there.

Your "experiment" was uncalled for and did more harm than good.

Just my .02
[/sup]

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Repeat after me, "Never, never ask permission to carry. Never ask a question that may do damage to yourself and others. Be legal and respond to problems if and when they occur. This is the best advice as given by the moderators and to which I subscribe 100%.

Yata hey

richarcm

imported post

I still believe in OCing wherever you want. Maybe it's different from person to person and locality to locality but I seem to receive more positive or neutral feedback from OCing than negative.

Not only that but OCing is about desensitizing the public. Most people spend the majority of their time in businesses of some sort. If you were limited to OCing on the sidewalk and in your home there would really be little opportunity to OC and it would have very little visibility.

I have had numerous opportunities to talk to cashiers at various businesses and educate them on why I am carrying. I have frequented several businesses consistently allowing for the employees and regulars to see that I personally mean no harm to them. I have also had many opportunities to be seen walking past police officers to show people that just because I have a gun doesn't mean I am a criminal or doing anything illegal.

CCing is a great option. I have my permit. But when it comes to educating others CCing offers nothing at all.

In regards to the topic at hand....I wouldn't have asked either. There is no reason to ask if you can wear a hat, wear sandals, wear a sleevless shirt, bring in a cell phone or chew gum. Why ask if you can openly carry a gun? By asking if you can carry your gun you are basically aknowledging the fact that the gun is a negative and must receive special permission.

richarcm

imported post

Oh and Walmart realistically has no corporate policy. It may say that they follow the laws of the state but that only REALLY means that they will not allow guns in stores where the state that the store resides in DOESN'T allow them. The real Walmart policy is that it is up to the store manager's discretion whether or not they are allowed and of course their decision can't supersede state law. Corporate policy basically says that they will not allow for people to carry in their DC stores (and such). Which is a big DUH!!

JefforDeb

imported post

Hello All...this is my first post, and I wanted to add my two cents worth. :D

We live in a very small town in North Carolina called Troy. We do not have a Wal-Mart here so we travel to the next town over called Biscoe. My husband and I both OC our 9mm's in our leg holsters wherever we go. We shop at Wal-Mart once a week, and have never had a problem with any employee concerning our guns. The customer's get that deer in the headlight look, but we just smile at them & say hello. We have never asked any establishment if it was okay to OC on their premises. If they do not have a sign stating "no fire-arms" then we just walk right in.

We went to Asheboro this past Thursday and ate at Golden Corral. Not one employee saida wordto us, but the customer's reactions were priceless. The gasps and "oh my god" were heard all around us. As we were leaving there were 3 Police men standing near the exit. We just ignored them and walked to our truck. We were not acting like criminals nor are we criminals. We are just two people enjoying our Second Amendment RIGHT. It's not a privelage to OC it is our right! When you start asking if you can then you have given them the authority to tell you that you can't. ;)

Deb

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

JefforDeb wrote:

When you start asking if you can then you have given them the authority to tell you that you can't. ;)

Deb
Welcome aboard - hope you enjoy the ride. Lots of good people and postings here.

Just curious as to the selection of drop holsters? I presume your solution to cold weather OC. Good report of your experiences.

I agree with the don't ask, don't tell philosophy.

Yata hey

JefforDeb

imported post

Thanks for the welcome. :D

Yes, you are correct about the drop holsters. Since the weather is cooler, and we are wearing jackets...there's no chance for our guns to be considered concealed.

We both have belt holsters too, but I tend to prefer my drop holster because my hair is down to my knees. I figure a cop could press the issue of my gun being concealed.

Deb :)

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

JefforDeb wrote:
Thanks for the welcome. :D

Yes, you are correct about the drop holsters. Since the weather is cooler, and we are wearing jackets...there's no chance for our guns to be considered concealed.

We both have belt holsters too, but I tend to prefer my drop holster because my hair is down to my knees. I figure a cop could press the issue of my gun being concealed.

Deb :)
I'm just picturing that image and I have to admit I am enjoying it. :lol:

With that much hair, you could conceal a long gun. My grandmother used to say that a woman's hair was her pride - so carry on.......proudly.

Yata hey

grimstar

imported post

JefforDeb wrote:

We live in a very small town in North Carolina called Troy. We do not have a Wal-Mart here so we travel to the next town over called Biscoe. My husband and I both OC our 9mm's in our leg holsters wherever we go. We shop at Wal-Mart once a week, and have never had a problem with any employee concerning our guns. The customer's get that deer in the headlight look, but we just smile at them & say hello. We have never asked any establishment if it was okay to OC on their premises. If they do not have a sign stating "no fire-arms" then we just walk right in.

We went to Asheboro this past Thursday and ate at Golden Corral. Not one employee saida wordto us, but the customer's reactions were priceless. The gasps and "oh my god" were heard all around us. As we were leaving there were 3 Police men standing near the exit. We just ignored them and walked to our truck. We were not acting like criminals nor are we criminals. We are just two people enjoying our Second Amendment RIGHT. It's not a privelage to OC it is our right! When you start asking if you can then you have given them the authority to tell you that you can't. ;)

Deb

You may correct me if I am wrong, but, does Golden Corral not serve alcohol? If so, you were indeed breaking the law in NC. I also live in North Carolina and carry where I can. All establishments that serve alcohol of any kind in NC are off limits to all types of carry. This even includes Chucky Cheese....which, believe it or not, serves beer and wine.

I applaud your decision to carry proudly. But do be careful, the laws in NC are a minefield for those of us who do.

Grimstar

JefforDeb

imported post

Well, I know for a fact that Golden Corral does not serve any alcohol Grimstar. We are not drinkers, and do not go into places that serve alcohol. But thank you for pointing that out to us. :DWe are from Florida...moved here about 2 yrs ago. The gun laws here are a little different, but Jeff has searched the statutes concerning OC.

Grapeshot...the Bible says that a woman's hair is her glory. :pI must agree. ;)

People come up to me wherever we go and ask me how long I've been growing my hair. My first thought is to say "All of my life", but that's my smart a@@ side. hehehe I have been letting it grow for fourteen years...just in case you were wondering. lol

Does anyone know if I could get in trouble for concealing my gun because of my long hair? I mean if I'm wearing my side holster? Doesn't it have to be viewable from three sides?

Thanks,

Deb

grimstar

imported post

Well, color me corrected, then. I was not aware that Golden Corral was any different than most other restaurants, these days. It's nice to know there is at least one place that isn't fast food, where one isn't forced to give up ones right to protection.

Now I just need to find one that's local...

Grimstar

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

JefforDeb wrote:
Does anyone know if I could get in trouble for concealing my gun because of my long hair? I mean if I'm wearing my side holster? Doesn't it have to be viewable from three sides?

Thanks,

Deb
Your hair is not any more of an issue than getting the rest of your body between your sidearm and a person trying to see it. Now that presumes that you are not talking about actually covering the firearm the same way a coat or jacket would. I make that presumption based on the idea that you would not want your hair to interfere with your draw.