• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

I need some advice

MSC 45ACP

imported post

I know NOTHING about Olympic Arms; therefore, I said nothing about them. I DO know about "MilSpec" weapons having worked on them for 20 years. They do the job for which they were intended. I replaced many barrels on them (What a PITA that job is!) and replaced every other part on them. I worked on the old M16, M16A1, and A2. Nothing after that. I heard the M4's have a problem of overpenetration because of their short barrels and the "new" heavy rounds.

Perhaps its time to think about the mission and re-think the needs of the services. The 5.56mm round is a bit light and fast for the job at hand. Is it time to go back to a heavier, slower bullet? I'm getting off-topic now so I'll quit...

compmanio365

imported post

MSC 45ACP wrote:
I know NOTHING about Olympic Arms; therefore, I said nothing about them. I DO know about "MilSpec" weapons having worked on them for 20 years. They do the job for which they were intended. I replaced many barrels on them (What a PITA that job is!) and replaced every other part on them. I worked on the old M16, M16A1, and A2. Nothing after that. I heard the M4's have a problem of overpenetration because of their short barrels and the "new" heavy rounds.

Perhaps its time to think about the mission and re-think the needs of the services. The 5.56mm round is a bit light and fast for the job at hand. Is it time to go back to a heavier, slower bullet? I'm getting off-topic now so I'll quit...
Off topic, but correct. 6.5 is a good chambering for a rifle.......even an AR.....

Brass Magnet

Founder's Club Member
imported post

MSC 45ACP wrote:

What get's me is that all "MilSpec" really is, is a set of specifications for a contract. "MilSpec" can be different with each order. Working for a company doing government contracts (not firearms related)I see what it actually is and sometimes how silly it is.

Too bad "milspec" doesn't specify free-floated barrels (AFAIK)..... it would have been much less of a PITA for you to change them! LOL:cool:

Brass Magnet

Founder's Club Member
imported post

compmanio365 wrote:
Off topic, but correct. 6.5 is a good chambering for a rifle.......even an AR.....

oooohh a thinly veiled dig!;):p

I agree though, 6.5 is an excellent caliber. Great sectional density and ballisticcoefficeint. I own a 243WSSM(6mm)chambered AR-15 which has become my favorite deer rifle. I also own a 6.5X25WSSM AI wildcat in a 1,000 yard F-class rifle. That 6.5 would fit in the AR too along with the grendel and a couple of others.

MSC 45ACP

imported post

I've heard good stuff about the 6.5 Grendel, too. They're using stuff like that for "match" rifles at Camp Perry. For those that aren't familiar with the terminology: "Match" rifles are bolt guns or other than "Service Rifles" which include (still) 03' Springfields, M1 Garands, M14 (M1A actually) and M16 (AR 15's) that are "upgraded" in a few areas, but still considered "service rifles".

If you're interested in this kinda stuff and since this is WAY off topic, you can look up the rules for shooting NRA High Power Rifle matches online. You can PM me if you want to discuss it further. I used to shoot in NRA High Power and Pistol Bullseye matches. Lots of fun it was...