• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

I OpenCarried today in front of 30+ cops

Status
Not open for further replies.

M-Taliesin

Since the law is null and void it is not a violation and this veteran sees wearing the colors as a tribute to the flag and country.

Howdy Wolf!
That's the crux of the flag debate right there. One I wonder why wasn't brought up sooner.
There is a huge difference between desecration or mutilation of the flag in a disrespectful manner,
from employing those proud images in tribute and honor. We should also remember that the flag is worn on the uniform of U.S. service people from every branch of the military. It is found on police uniforms, and those of federal law enforcement folks too. Usually as a patch worn on the sleeve, or a pin worn on the lapel, it is either as part of their clothing or an accessory to their clothing. Hence, the whole subject of clothing display of the flag becomes a rather moot point.

But we are drifting into a different topic from the original post. It was about carrying at an event held for a fallen soldier returning home to his final resting place. Whether an individual open carries or not, I personally don't feel it is really appropriate to use the sacrifice of our fallen heros as an opportunity to make any sort of political or ideological statement. The thread title was about OC'ing in front of 30 cops. So what? What consequence does OC'ing have in that particular event, other than the young man being taken to his rest gave his life to ensure that liberty? He made the supreme sacrifice for our nation, and we all owe a great debt of gratitude to each and every member of our armed forces. I would not think it appropriate to use that event to boast of OC'ing at the event. That wasn't the point of the event, and pointing to OC seems to take away from the solemnity the event deserved. Maybe that's precisely why the news people never mentioned it. I am not trying to be unkind, but just pointing out, whatever our goal, however right or noble in spirit, it does not match the nobility of the sacrifice of the young man who gave his life for his country, and anything taking light away from that brilliant son is diminishing the respect he deserved.

That's my opinion, and I know I'll likely get hammered for saying so, but it isn't about you or me, flags or law, shirts or guns, OC or cops! It is about the sacrifice of that young man, who somehow seems to have gotten lost in the shuffle as this thread unfolded.

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
Howdy Wolf!
That's the crux of the flag debate right there. One I wonder why wasn't brought up sooner.
There is a huge difference between desecration or mutilation of the flag in a disrespectful manner,
from employing those proud images in tribute and honor. We should also remember that the flag is worn on the uniform of U.S. service people from every branch of the military. It is found on police uniforms, and those of federal law enforcement folks too. Usually as a patch worn on the sleeve, or a pin worn on the lapel, it is either as part of their clothing or an accessory to their clothing. Hence, the whole subject of clothing display of the flag becomes a rather moot point.

Before you post read the US Flag Code. Uniforms and lapel pins are all covered and regulated on how to be worn in the US Flag Code. You would know this if you read it. So no sir, the point is not "moot."

We should also remember that the flag is worn on the uniform of U.S. service people from every branch of the military
For the record, your statement about all branches wearing the US flag is not true. Please refer to Air Force Instruction 36-2903.

I don't know where people get this stuff. Cite your sources, I've cited mine.

EDIT:

For you.
(j) No part of the flag should ever be used as a costume or athletic uniform. However, a flag patch may be affixed to the uniform of military personnel, firemen, policemen, and members of patriotic organizations. The flag represents a living country and is itself considered a living thing. Therefore, the lapel flag pin being a replica, should be worn on the left lapel near the heart.

Last edited:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Before you post read the US Flag Code. Uniforms and lapel pins are all covered and regulated on how to be worn in the US Flag Code. You would know this if you read it. So no sir, the point is not "moot."

Congratulations. You have just won an argument on the internet. You may select any prize on the bottom shelf.

stay safe.

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
comatmebropenguin.gif

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member

Haha. Schlitz, I see the validity of your point and I understand what everyone else has been saying. Unfortunately (read fortunately), I have a permanent violation of the flag code tattooed on my back. Perhaps it is time to revise the Flag Code to allow more uses of the Flag in a respectful manner?

For everyone arguing here, please follow the chart below.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1313512025.480104.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1313512025.480104.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 121

roscoe13

Campaign Veteran
Negative, Sir. There is no "Schlitz" way when it comes to handling the flag. If you guys have actually been reading what I'm posting I'm citing the source which I am defending. This is not my way, I did not write the US Flag Code and I had absolutely nothing to do with it being written in as law. This is the "right" way.

The fact that it's in the code doesn't necessarily mean it's "right"....

Roscoe

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
The fact that it's in the code doesn't necessarily mean it's "right"....

Roscoe

That is exactly what that means. When it comes to customs, courtesies, and ceremonies regarding The Flag: Laws > Roscoe's Opinion

nuc65

Activist Member
Dude, you must go absolutely nut-case-insane on the Fourth of July in AnySmallTown, USA...

Seriously, seek help.

TFred

Can't beat 6000 words... in a democratic society it seems that society disagrees with strict adherence of the 'flag' code, not only that Uncle Sam has been around a long long time...

Status
Not open for further replies.