• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

I was denied registration of my new revolver

The Big Guy

FYI, the Reno Gazette-Journal ran some articles beating the drums for new legislation in the wake of the Carson IHOP shooting. One article was a so-called summary of Nevada firearms laws. It said Nevada law requires Clark county to register handguns. :)

Clark County law requires handgun registration not state law. State law only grandfathers the county law under state pre-emption.

TBG

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
It occurs to me the Judge has been around a while and the OPer can't possibly be the first person to try to register one.

Meaning, has anyone considered the possibility that the "confusion" was deliberate by registrar?

Think about it for a minute. If the registrar acts "confused" and can induce a little uncertainty on the part of the registrant, then it is only a little more feigned ignorance, a couple more skewed questions, and suddenly the door is open to "not knowing" how to register the gun.

A slick way to prevent registration or cause headaches for any gunners who don't really know their stuff about the weapon they're trying to register.

Vegassteve

Dave I can confirm the officer was a self inflicted wound. My buddy works with his wife it turns out. He was telling me a story of his coworkers husband, a cop shooting his leg. Seems he was going to put it in a safe at home and did it as he drew it or was unloading. It took a couple of hours for me to put 2 and 2 together, but I and he are pretty sure that's your guy.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Just a quick hijack, please. I thought we called it a .410 "bore" because it is not a .410 "gauge." A quick search shows plenty of shotshell manufacturers referring to it as the .410 "bore," as well.

"Bore" and "guage" are interchangableand part of a historical naming convention that was supposedly agreed to via SAMII. It refers to the number of round shot the diameter of the barrel needed to equal one pound. Thus a 4-bore/4-guage needs 4 round shot the diameter of its barrel to equal one pound, while a 12-guage/12-bore needs 12 shot the diameter of its barrel. Different diameter shot for each bore/guage.

A .410-bore/.410-guage shotgun would need just 410/1000th of one round shot the diameter of its barrel to equal a pound and thus would be big enough to be classified by BATFEIEIO *spit* as a Destructive Device. You would need a $200 tax stamp for the firearm, a $200 tax stamp for every round, and possibly orthopedic surgery if you fired it from the shoulder. (It would be just a bit bigger than a 2-bore/2-guage shotgun. The only ones that big that I know of were classified as "punt guns" [go look it up].)

That shotshell manufacturers do not follow the rules they helped set up regarding how to classify shotguns does not surprise me one bit. Why should they be any different than anybody else?

A .410 caliber is nominally .410 inches across. There is a "convention" about just what to call each caliber due to the fact that some of them would end up with quite unwieldy names or very (to us who are used to the current names) confusing names. Just think of what G-d's own caliber would be if we went by the actual diameter of thebullet.:eek:

stay safe.

Wayne

Agreed. Actually, I remember long ago when it was a desk sergeant that did the registration. I remember it being quick, efficient, and accurate, regardless of its necessity or legality. These days, I have always been handled by plainclothes ladies, whom I assume not to be police officers. They are certainly ignorant about all things related to firearms and seem to treat handgun registration as a very unwanted part of their job. Y'all have already shown me enough to treat my blue cards differently than I have in the past.

I now wish I had kept my registration for a 25mm.

The plain clothes ladies are law enforcement support technicians (LEST). They are essentially secretarial staff. No offense intended.

Last edited:

Judge.410

It has riflings....it is a revolver and shoots .45 long colt. Don't know " nuffin" about no shotgun ! Register that.

Bravo_Sierra

I just registered this as a pistol here in Clark County: (see attachment)

it fires 7.62x39

Attachments

• 380001_307220939305110_100000516183160_1306497_3707238_n.jpg
    380001_307220939305110_100000516183160_1306497_3707238_n.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 133