• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

I was told to resign or not carry my weapon.

Carnivore

Thats not a tough decision to make, you either want the income the job has to offer, or you want to look for another job that will allow open carry, Me Personally,,, I'd switch to ankle holster.

CO-Joe

Don't forget that every prospective employer who calls your boss for a reference may hear "He carried a gun to work."

Hell, that's what he wants. Most employers aren't stupid enough to do that, and instead say "yeah, he worked with us from XX/XX/XXXX to YY/YY/YYYY, his title was blah-blah-blah" and call it good--because other companies have been taken to task for disclosing non-work related opinions which later prevented people from finding employment... Those companies got sued and the former employees got nice judgments in return.

SlackwareRobert

One more thing to consider, if you resign you don't get on unemployment for the next 99 weeks. If he fires you on the other hand you get to mooch for the next 2 years. That's a lot of bullets you can buy with those 'food stamp' cards. Hopefully the rabbit population isn't as diseased as when I lived up there so you can justify the purchase of raw food items.

Never hurts to bring your boss over on a weekend and teach him how to load his own ammo for good employee relations.
With all the work shootings it is getting bad for the ones who refuse to lay down and die like sheep. I pity the idiot who tries to go postal here. The odds of everyone with a gun shooting up the place at the same time is less likely than BHO cutting spending, so one shooter won't get far.
Good luck with whatever you choose, worst case conceal and look for other employment fast. It is a buyers market for the long term I fear, so you do what you need to do. Use every chance you get to expand your abilities so you have more choices. So far the only thing I notice not going down is business licenses, they still go up only. Would think governments desperation for revenue would be handing them out for free by now.

rodbender

There's that misuse of "right to work" again.

Folks, please, look up "right to work." Please, make sure you know what the term means. Right to work laws prevent unions from forcing employees to join the union or pay the dues anyway.

Geez, leave it alone, eye. Some folks are simply too thick skulled to figure it out, OK?

TFred

One more thing to consider, if you resign you don't get on unemployment for the next 99 weeks.
This is a very good point. From the OP, boss said: "I want your resignation today unless you agree to not carry a weapon." [emphasis mine.]

There's a lot of things I want too, but so what. Is the boss willing to fire you over this and risk all the hassle that might come from someone fighting that with all available legal means?

Of course no matter how it ends up, your work environment is going to go down hill pretty fast. I hope things work out for you.

You really should probably consult an attorney who deals with workplace issues.

TFred

Last edited:

swinokur

Activist Member
One more thing to consider, if you resign you don't get on unemployment for the next 99 weeks. If he fires you on the other hand you get to mooch for the next 2 years. That's a lot of bullets you can buy with those 'food stamp' cards. Hopefully the rabbit population isn't as diseased as when I lived up there so you can justify the purchase of raw food items.

in many states if you are fired "for cause" you re not entitled to unemployment benefits. before you do anything rash research all these things. if you are fired for refusal to disarm or follow instructions of a supervisor that may be considered termination for cause and you might end up with nothing. its a pretty tough job environment out there.

saying you stood up for your rights doesn't mean much if the reality is you can't pay your bills.

Last edited:

Ian

Lone Star Veteran
Wow. Why are you people telling him to lay down?

It is NOT in the employee manual. I would stop carrying immediately, but DEFINITELY follow up with the next person up the food chain. If it isn't company policy you may get his decision over-ridden.

I'm sorry, but this sounds like really BAD advice. Going over your boss' head will get your ass canned pretty fast I would imagine. It would just make his boss actively look to find any excuse to fire him.

Ruby

Zeke... Hello, are you there?

I hope his boss didn't make him resign from opencarry.org as well.

I don't think his boss has any control over what websites he visits unless he is visiting them on a work place computer. Hopefully we will hear something from him soon; I am interested in how this turns out for him.

frommycolddeadhands

Tough call

A few people have already mentioned this, but perhaps switching to CC while at work would be beneficial, at least until you get this problem resolved. Your boss sounds like a real piece of work. Opening a professional dialoge with him if possible would be best. Find out exactly what his issue is with you carrying openly.

I liked the idea of having him sign a piece of paper stating that he is personally responsible for your safety on the way to work, during work, and on the way home, and letting him know that you'd sue the ever-loving out of him if anything happened to you while you were disarmed. If you care about your job though I'd warn that this is probably a fast track to unemployment.

I guess it really boils down to how much you care about your job, whether or not you care if you piss off your boss, and how quickly you think you could recover if he fires you. Personally I wouldn't resign under any circumstances. If he wanted to fire me for carrying a pistol then he'd have to grow a pair of cajones and fire me, but I wouldn't quit just because he has some stupid issue.

C

cwalters

It's a very small percentage of people who are allowed to OC at work in the first place. While I'm sure you feel insulted and demeaned having the option taken away from you, welcome to the real world. Policy manual or not, notwithstanding any existing discrimination laws, if your boss tells you something, it becomes policy. The only recourse you have is to attempt a dialogue to determine what has changed and try to negotiate a resolution.

Very well put. By the looks of paramedic70002's Avatar and username I assume he works as a Paramedic, which IMO is a job which one should be allowed to OC however most if not all are not permitted to. Medics respond to houses the same as Officers, and are frequently exposed to the same hostile patients/persons. They have much more of a chance of getting shot at than the normal nine to five job.

I would follow the boss' directive, otherwise there is a good chance you will end up finding yourself unemployed. I understand why you would want to carry, but I also understand why your boss does not want you to. Keep an open mind about the situation and you should find yourself in the clear.

Also, how far away is the parking lot? If something bad was to go down where you needed your weapon at the workplace could it be easily obtained? Just some things to keep in mind to allow yourself some closure.

Again this is all my opinion and thought process so take it at face value... don't think that I don't beleive you have valid reasons for carrying at work, I'm a 9-1-1 Dispatcher and would love to be able to carry while at work... expecially since 9/11 and the terrorist activity that occur in todays world. Yeah, a dispatcher can radio to units to respond ASAP to the center, but in reality how long would it really take? I feel more volnerable at work than at my residence, expecially working night shift...

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
i totally feel for you, stuck between a rock & a hard case...... myself as a side job, besides running my small wedding DJ service .... on the nights I am not playing music I work at a night club as head of security, me being 6'6" 300 pounds, tattooed, my boss is actually afraid of me....I never worry about getting fired, ever. I also have the owners permission to OC in that club ANY time I want to..... again sorry for your issues with your boss, he's a jerk off but what can ya do ?

swinokur

Activist Member
A few people have already mentioned this, but perhaps switching to CC while at work would be beneficial, at least until you get this problem resolved. Your boss sounds like a real piece of work. Opening a professional dialoge with him if possible would be best. Find out exactly what his issue is with you carrying openly.

I liked the idea of having him sign a piece of paper stating that he is personally responsible for your safety on the way to work, during work, and on the way home, and letting him know that you'd sue the ever-loving out of him if anything happened to you while you were disarmed. If you care about your job though I'd warn that this is probably a fast track to unemployment.

I guess it really boils down to how much you care about your job, whether or not you care if you piss off your boss, and how quickly you think you could recover if he fires you. Personally I wouldn't resign under any circumstances. If he wanted to fire me for carrying a pistol then he'd have to grow a pair of cajones and fire me, but I wouldn't quit just because he has some stupid issue.

why on earth would a boss sign anything? he's the boss. follow his directions or be fired. i think it's that simple

Alexcabbie

They probably sleep with a night-lite and wear pajamas with feet in them

See this avatar? I use it for posts on the political threads on "Classmates.com". The antis on that forum keep squealing about me "pointing a gun at them". Sheesh...

eye95

I think what he meant was a state such as Virginia where employment is "at will", meanig you OR your employer may terminate the employment with no notice at any time, for any reason.

I know what they mean.

The problem is that folks who do not understand the terms "at will employment" and "right to work State" will be confused by the errant switching of the terms. They end up disliking "at will employment," but mistakenly working against "right to work" legislation when they would otherwise support it.

BTW, I support both legal concepts as they both represent increase Liberty--just very different Liberties.

Oh, and why are you pointing a gun at me? ;)

Last edited:

Brimstone Baritone

Oh, and why are you pointing a gun at me? ;)

More to the point, why are you threatening us with what appears to be an empty gun.

The more I think about the situation, the more I think someone has come down on OP's boss about OP carrying. Maybe this is above his head and he would rather just stay out of it, hence the short but sweet demand. Whatever you do make it clear that you are not resigning. Make them find a legitimate reason to fire you, or collect the unemployment you would deserve for not violating any company policies.