• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

I Would Love to Open Carry, But...

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
imported post

Is it because the Pistol Sales Record records your CPL number, telephone number, your "race", and asks you to print the name of the seller (versus just a signature)?

FatboyCykes

imported post

It's being asked to do something(finger-printing) that you are not legally obliged to do by your local PD I guess. Refusing, making a stink and hopefully changing policy.

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
imported post

FatboyCykes wrote:
It's being asked to do something(finger-printing) that you are not legally obliged to do by your local PD I guess. Refusing, making a stink and hopefully changing policy.
I don't recall getting fingerprinted for a "Pistol Sales Record" and, if the person already has the CPL and has been fingerprinted, it makes no difference which option for purchase is exercised.

FatboyCykes

imported post

DrTodd wrote:
FatboyCykes wrote:
I don't recall getting fingerprinted for a "Pistol Sales Record" and, if the person already has the CPL and has been fingerprinted, it makes no difference which option for purchase is exercised.
I'm just guessing here :D

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
imported post

FatboyCykes wrote:
DrTodd wrote:
FatboyCykes wrote:
I'm just guessing here :D
I was too... I just couldn't recall getting fingerprinted. Last handgun purchase I made was years ago, so I could be wrong.:)

FatboyCykes

imported post

This all stems from the OPs opposition to getting a license and all that may or may not go with it depending on his city. In warren, I had(or rather was requested) to give a thumb print in order to obtain my PPP. Others have faced long wait times, and I think the goal, is for people to challenge the departments on these/their practices, that may or may not be lawful.

ghostrider

imported post

FatboyCykes wrote:
This all stems from the OPs opposition to getting a license and all that may or may not go with it depending on his city. In warren, I had(or rather was requested) to give a thumb print in order to obtain my PPP. Others have faced long wait times, and I think the goal, is for people to challenge the departments on these/their practices, that may or may not be lawful.
They are not lawful. Preemption was passed in 1990. Prior to that, I did get finger printed for a PPP. Kind of silly since I already had the gun.