• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Identification w/CPL required?

killchain

imported post

NavyLT wrote:
killchain wrote:
Under 40, they card... and since you're a Navy Lieutenant, I'm going to assume you are under 40 years old. But *I* won't card you. :p

(Come on meow NavyLT... we can get along and still disagree on something. :) )
Fortunately, I was enlisted Army National Guard from 1984 to 1988. Then enlisted active duty Navy from 1988 to 2001. Been on the dark side of things since 2001. You need more than your fingers and toes to do that math!
Hahaha, well, the damn military should be allowed to drink anyway regardless of age in my opinion.

And I was enlisted Army from 2004-2009... just please tell me you weren't a customs officer. :p

dbark

imported post

One thing I will add to this is that a lot of times if you have an encounter with a LEO a lot of times it easier for them to just ask for ID than to stand there and ask whats your name? whats your address? whats your bday? A lot of this is stuff that is used for logs/reports. It isn't necessarily that they are trying to hassle you but that they are simply getting information they need for paperwork. A large part of police work is paperwork and they deal with enough crap everyday that I am willing to help them get their job done. I may not be legally obligated to provide ID but if I have it, I can provide it.

joeroket

imported post

dbark wrote:
One thing I will add to this is that a lot of times if you have an encounter with a LEO a lot of times it easier for them to just ask for ID than to stand there and ask whats your name? whats your address? whats your bday? A lot of this is stuff that is used for logs/reports. It isn't necessarily that they are trying to hassle you but that they are simply getting information they need for paperwork. A large part of police work is paperwork and they deal with enough crap everyday that I am willing to help them get their job done. I may not be legally obligated to provide ID but if I have it, I can provide it.
So I should give my ID up for any officer that wants it regardless of the reason because they want it for paperwork? They can just put a description of me with the name John Doe.

dbark

imported post

So I should give my ID up for any officer that wants it regardless of the reason because they want it for paperwork? They can just put a description of me with the name John Doe.
You should do whatever makes YOU feel comfortable within the confines of the law. Personally I feel more comfortable, when a conversation is being held that I would like to cooperate, and now hassle the officer more than need be. That is MY personal choice, just adding a point that an officer might not be trying to hassle you.

sudden valley gunner

imported post

Machoduck wrote:
On the other hand, Amlevin, I've refused to show a cop ID. He then claimed that I was obstructing an investigation. I replied, "No you're obstructing your own investigation; you've refused three times to tell me your RAS that a crime is afoot. If you articulate that, I'll cooperate fully." He never told me. I believe he thought I was pushing him toward actionable behavior. It was obvious that he wasn't conducting an investigation, he was conducting an intimidation, or trying to.

MD
Thats good I wish I would have thought about that when I was told that.

cynicist

imported post

Duly noted... now I say I buy a round of beers to bury the damn hatchet, eh?
I recommend the Snipes Brewery, in Sunnyside of course. Local hops, local beer.
The law may not require you to show your DL when you are asked for your CPL but unless your hobby is putting up with "Police Proceedure Hassles" it might be a good idea to do so. In over 45 years of carrying a pistol (both concealed and open) I have never been asked to show my CPL. In those years I have volunteered it to an officer 3 times and have never had one ask me to relinquish my handgun for any reason. IMHO one needs to make a choice. Be confrontational to make a point or just show the ID/CPL and be on your way. I guess it depends on what you want to do for an hour or so after being asked.
I don't do it as a matter of convenience (though it might go quicker if the cops sees the "knowmyfockingrights" sign on the forehead) but as a matter of principle. I believe that one should not be treated as a criminal for merely exercising a Constitutionally-enumerated right, and I'm not going to give up some of that right for the sake of saving a few minutes.
Once you give them leeway on a right, it will fade away. "A right non exercised is a right lost" is not something abstract.
And for the record, in the last incident, I was fully cooperative, repeatedly telling the officer where my CPL was, my ID, etc. He just rushed me and slapped the cuffs on. That's why I stopped carrying ID in the first place.

Circumstance #1, I am in line at the local stop & rob and I go to pay for my slurpee and I move my coat aside to get my wallet and reveal my previously concealed firearm in front of a cop. Cop asks to see my CPL. I show him my CPL (notice I am NOT required by RCW to surrender my CPL to him for inspection, I am only required to display it), my CPL says Mr. John H....., xxxx Jones Rd, Oak Harbor WA 98277, 360-720-xxxx - all valid information for name, address, etc. He now has no RAS to see an ID.
Nor did he need it!

If you are unconscious, or unable to give informed consent then I look for any ID I can find. I assume it is yours. A first name, middle initial and last name with birthdate will find any medical records that may be pertinent to keeping you alive. I don't need a picture. If you are carrying someone else's ID, you will be treated based on that other persons medical records. Oops, sorry, not my problem.
Exactly! If I'm injured and someone finds my CPL with all my info along with 2 pistols, I think they can assume it's me, or, they should require and IQ test for that job.

I found that when I wanted to defend the Constitution as well as this country I put on a uniform and served in the Army. Getting into a confrontation with a Law Officer and convince them that they are wrong is like trying to teach a Pig (sorry, pun unintended) how to sing. It will take a real long time and in the end all you will accomplish is pissing off the pig.
Our rights are not threatened in [foreign country here] they are threatened where we live. What good is serving in the federal army if you let them take our rights away right here?
The problem I have with that is (1) they do not need that information, and (2) we are accustoming ourselves to living in a "your papers" society, where we are no longer innocent until proven guilty, have to prove that we have a right, etc. Whether or not they are being malignant is beside the point. They're chipping away at the freedom of travel (among others) on a daily basis, and if no one does nothing, it's going to get to the point where you get arrested in your driveway for not showing a proper internal passport.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
imported post

This thread is probably one of the most helpful threads for a newer memeber like myself in what to do and say if a LEO interaction is about to take place!

bump

Ndawg

killchain

imported post

zombie_thread.jpg

:)