• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

If I were you I wouldnt....(advice from a cop)

sultan62

I'm hoping if it comes to that, I can just change the folder I'm recording in fast enough. Though I really doubt it would come to that, as we've clearly crossed into intentional abuse/corruption at that point.

hotrod08

At which point, your phone may very likely take an "accidental" tumble into the nearest mud puddle or pitcher of nearby beverage. Or may "accidentally" be dropped and stepped on or run over by a cruiser...

I don't mean nothing by that... I'm just sayin'...

I hear that...

I guess its a good thing I got a water proof phone :D

hotrod08

Time to start looking for a voice recorder, or getting into the habit of starting the one on the iphone.

I just bought a Sony from Walmart today, So far I like it.

$59.99 and it comes with the cable and the disk to transfer your recording to your computer.

rotorhead

It would seem so. Like most cops, this one seemed to want to offer his advice as if only he was the sole authority and keeper of legal knowledge on the scene.

Yes, that's a very broad and general comment, but who here can say it's not the case?

hydroxside

I have been ocing for about 6 months every where I can legally. in my opinon cops don't mind OCers. I got stopped in walmart in thomasville on turkey day one officer didn't know that walmart doesn't post a no weapons allowed so he called his OIC and he said that I wasn't doing anything wrong he just thought it would freak people out . I told him I understand and I will put it in my car. The reason cops tell u that is so theydont get a call about it and have to go in worried. Guns drawed.

rotorhead

I have been ocing for about 6 months every where I can legally. in my opinon cops don't mind OCers. I got stopped in walmart in thomasville on turkey day one officer didn't know that walmart doesn't post a no weapons allowed so he called his OIC and he said that I wasn't doing anything wrong he just thought it would freak people out . I told him I understand and I will put it in my car. The reason cops tell u that is so theydont get a call about it and have to go in worried. Guns drawed.

Welcome to the forum Hydro :)

It really doesn't matter what that officer thought. If you weren't doing anything wrong, he should have smiled and let you on your way with no concessions on your part. Can you imagine what our lives would be like if every one of our actions was based on what made the police or others comfortable?

In the end, that officer had no right to stop you, had no right to ask you to put your gun in your car, no right to offer his opinion as to how other people would react to you carrying, and no right to give you any kind of speech designed to modify your life and personal safety to make his job easier.

By making you disarm, he put you at risk, and for what? To make his life easier.

Think about that the next time they are hinting that you should disarm, no matter how cool they seem to be at the moment.

If you are doing nothing wrong or illegal, you simply thank him for his opinion and be on your way, if you even bother to say that much.

Have a great day :)

Northerner

I told him I understand and I will put it in my car.

IMO - WAHOB - You reinforced the officer's "opinion" of the (lack of) law for open carry, which may lead to him in the future believing that this result should always be the answer or response from a legally armed and open carrying citizen. It also reinforces the "legality" to those who were supposedly "freaked out."

Let people freak out. If you know you are within the law, be prepared to inform and stand your ground. Again, IMO, one of the main reasons we Open Carry is to educate and get people used to the idea that a legally armed citizen is nothing to fear. It's the illegally armed citizen they need to fear.

I know, I wasn't there and personally, I have never been approached by LEO and asked to disarm and I have been OCing for about as long as you. My comments are just something to consider in the future.

hydroxside

I see yalls point I look from both sides of the law. Well he said that he would call the manager of the walmart and ask him so I decide to put it up so in the future I could carry and not have been told not to. So I decided to put it up

sultan62

They are the only ones professional enough to do the job no one else is willing to do.

Hahahahahahaha...ok, I think that's out of my system. By the way kwik, I LOVE your avatar pic...

IMO, I would have told him he's free to call the manager, but at that point he's acting in a non official capacity, trying to intervene in private property matters where he has no business. If he's using his official capacity as an officer to push a private matter the way he wants, he's abusing his power. Keep the recorder running, and be ready to file a complaint.

Dreamer

rotorhead

We have to understand that LEO are just doing there jobs

I would agree with this normally, but in this case he wasn't doing his job at all, he was acting as an agent for Wal-Mart.

He over-stepped his bounds pure and simple. I can understand that you did not want to cause a scene or felt that the officer was doing the right thing. I'm not knocking you for complying with his request. I'm only pointing out that he simply had no grounds to make the request in the first place, and that you have rights under which you are protected from such actions.

As mentioned previously, he was not enforcing any law (which would have qualified as doing his job), but was instead offering his opinion and then making requests at your expense based on his opinions.

Think of it this way, would he be simply doing his job if he stopped all long haired hippies at the door and said that they can't come in because other customers might freak out? How about all black people? All people with red shirts on?

What he did was the same thing, except he chose to make his requests toward you, another citizen who was breaking no law, nor store policy. Like it or not, the situation created a new precedent both in his mind and in yours. A precedent that he will not hesitate to use in the future.

You had every right to have your weapon in that store that he did, yet his opinion was that you were not trustworthy enough to have it inside.

Again, this isn't a slam on you. You did what you felt was right in the situation. I'm simply saying that you didn't need to and for you to understand that he was not acting within the proper scope of his duties.

Last edited:

hydroxside

I agree with u kwikrnu. Thanks for the info. I know this is off topic but is anyone going to the OC lunch in G boro this Saturday I did not mean. To put the unhappy face on the post.

Last edited:

JoeSparky

Centurion
We have to understand that LEO are just doing there jobs

A LEO'S 'Job' is not to enforce opinion. Acquiescence to OPINION requests of LEO's reinforce to the LEO the expectation that the sheep will ALWAYS FOLLOW HIS INSTRUCTIONS NO MATTER WHAT THE LAW! In these circumstances I think: "A RIGHT UN-EXERCISED IS A RIGHT LOST."

Let me add.... someone witnesses your interaction with the LEO and is close enough to HEAR the conversation. That person follows you out to your car and watches you place your LEGALLY carried weapon in the car. Then AFTER you have returned to the store, the unknown person breaks into your car and steals your gun. Now, you are out one gun and have damage that needs to be repaired to your vehicle.

IF SOMEONE IS WILLING TO BREAK THE LAW TO DEPRIVE YOU OF YOUR FIREARM WHAT WILL THEY POTENTIALLY DO WITH THE FIREARM AFTER THEY HAVE IT? Any limits upon their criminal nature? And the previous questions apply BOTH to the LEO that made the UNLAWFUL DEMAND FOR ONE TO DISARM WHILE IN A LOCATION THEY THE WERE LAWFULLY IN AND THEN TO PUT THE FIREARM INTO THE CAR and to the bad guy that watch you do it and then stole it from you!

A couple more things.... Welcome to OC'ing. Please don't take my comments above as a personal attack but rather as a different perspective for you to think about. And lastly, please read ALL THE CAPS as emphasis not as yelling! Thanks

Last edited: