• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

If you open carry the day before deer season you are violating the DNR law

Viper

Went to the local Starbucks tonight in Sun Prairie open carrying and had a nice expresso after dinner at the Culvers in Sun Prairie.

No game wardens found me either.

Interceptor_Knight

I chased a farm cat that has been hanging around and ******* on the porch into the woods and shot it about an hour ago. NO warden has showed up yet.
The itty bitty DNR fine is the least of your worries. Shooting a cat can cost you big time as they are not protected by DNR Administrative Code and "hunting" rules but by WI State Statutes......:cool:

Last edited:

Interceptor_Knight

Can you cite said statute?

I will begin with the felony you committed and go from there.......

951.01 Definitions.
(1) “Animal” includes every living:
(a) Warm−blooded creature, except a human being;
(b) Reptile; or
(c) Amphibian.

(2) “Cruel” means causing unnecessary and excessive pain or
suffering or unjustifiable injury or death.

951.02 Mistreating animals. No person may treat any animal,
whether belonging to the person or another, in a cruel manner.
951.18 Penalties.Any person
who intentionally violates s. 951.02, resulting in the mutilation,
disfigurement or death of an animal, is guilty of a Class I felony

Hunting unprotected species is exempted. Unfortunately for you, cats are not covered by the hunting exemption as they are neither a game animal nor an unprotected species. Statute 174.01 allows you to kill a stray dog on your property if
a domestic animal
that is owned or in the custody of the person is threatened with
serious bodily harm by the dog and the dog is on property owned
or controlled by the person and:
1. Other restraining actions were tried and failed; or
2. Immediate action is necessary

951.015 Construction and application. (1) This chapter
may not be interpreted as controverting any law regulating wild
animals that are subject to regulation under ch. 169, the taking of
wild animals, as defined in s. 29.001 (90), or the slaughter of animals
by persons acting under state or federal law.
(2) For purposes of enforcing this chapter as to wild animals
subject to regulation under ch. 169, a conservation warden has the
same powers and duties that a law enforcement officer has under
this chapter.

BROKENSPROKET

I will begin with the felony you committed and go from there.......

Hunting unprotected species is exempted. Unfortunately for you, cats are not covered by the hunting exemption as they are neither a game animal nor an unprotected species. Statute 174.01 allows you to kill a stray dog on your property if

Wow. I had no idea. I mean, I understand the neglect or abuse of a domesticated animal being illegal. I just thought that if it is lawful for me to shoot a racoon or coyote that is causing problems on my property, then why not a wild farm cat that is causing my porch to reek like feline urine.

Have Gun - Will Carry

No issues yesterday. Had dinner at a Kenosha restaurant, then shopped at Best Buy and Woodmans without any warden interaction.

However, at Best Buy a 20-something sales clerk asked if I had any questions while looking at car stereos, then looked at my hip and said, "Concealed carry is illegal in Wisconsin." For a split second I thought "Here we go...", then I calmly replied, "It's not concealed, though - and open carry IS legal here." He looked thoughtful for a second and said, "Yeah, I guess so..."

Then the conversation took a turn for the (much) better. He says to me, "Hey, my buddy's got a .45 just like that - boy, does that thing kick." :) And we proceeded to have a great talk about shooting and local ranges! I made sure he knew about legal open carry, and we both went on with our evening - I had to chuckle! :lol:

paul@paul-fisher.com

However, at Best Buy a 20-something sales clerk asked if I had any questions while looking at car stereos, then looked at my hip and said, "Concealed carry is illegal in Wisconsin." For a split second I thought "Here we go...", then I calmly replied, "It's not concealed, though - and open carry IS legal here." He looked thoughtful for a second and said, "Yeah, I guess so..."

You should of asked, 'if it's concealed, how did you see it'? :banghead:

Interceptor_Knight

Wow. I had no idea. I mean, I understand the neglect or abuse of a domesticated animal being illegal. I just thought that if it is lawful for me to shoot a racoon or coyote that is causing problems on my property, then why not a wild farm cat that is causing my porch to reek like feline urine.

If you recall, there was a push a few years ago to make it legal to kill feral cats. The cat people came out of the woodwork and made such a fuss that the DNR decided to simply not even talk about it. I went to one of the Conservation Congress meetings where this matter was discussed and the crazies were out in mass....

BROKENSPROKET

If you recall, there was a push a few years ago to make it legal to kill feral cats. The cat people came out of the woodwork and made such a fuss that the DNR decided to simply not even talk about it. I went to one of the Conservation Congress meetings where this matter was discussed and the crazies were out in mass....

I would never kill a feral cat for amusement. We have had several cats come around over the years. This is the first one that I had a problem with.

hardballer

I would never kill a feral cat for amusement. We have had several cats come around over the years. This is the first one that I had a problem with.
Glad to hear it... There are many non-leathal ways to deal with an animal marking it's territory. A simple Google search will suffice.
You did say that cat was killing migratory songbirds before peeing on your deck, right?
There, problem solved!
NOPE!

I have volunteered with an animal rescue for many years. I have several cats as friends. They come and go as they please. Several more inside who were rescued from abuse and neglect. Several dogs, same story.

Here's a suggestion, in the future, contact your local animal rescue. preferably a NO KILL animal rescue. Not the IN-Humane Society... If you have an over population problem, TNR may be appropriate for you. Trap, neuter and return. This means the animals are trapped, neutered and returned to their care givers and because they are neutered and spayed, they no longer have kittens every spring, summer and fall. They also lose a lot of other negative behaviors like fighting and "spraying".

After participating in over 50 TNRS, personally participating in over 450 spays and neuters, up to 40 cats from an area spayed and neutered at one time and 6 or 7 years later, still no kittens. Over population stopped.

I hunt, fish and find no problem with this. I eat what I hunt and fish. I do not kill for fun or trophy. Personal reasons.

Intercepter Knight is right. It is a class I felony. I have been part of an effort to bring an abuser to justice in Buffalo County. I would agree with IKs opinion. Call the rescue. That cat was simply marking it's territory and doing a good job of keeping the rodent population under control.

As for the song bird thing, Nutczak, I know you were just joking but it has been debunked. Further it is not an excuse to kill a cat either. Class I felony, jail and fine. Cars kill many more birds of all kinds than cats ever thought of killing. Spayed and neutered cats are far more interested in laying about, eating and sleeping than chasing down any bird. Even feral cats will choose a rodent or rabbit before a bird.

Last edited:

Russf

done and done.....I was protected while putting up my tree stand .....

Last edited:

oak1971

I carried in our hunting cabin on our property, much like every other day before season opener for the last 20 years.