• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

illinois reciprocity bill introduced

bigtim6656

I agree, a friend of mine asked you want to go check out some property I am looking at, when we hit the bridge on the Wabash to go into IL, I looked at him and said you know your not going into that state right(glock on my belt), he was less then happy to make the 20 miles drive home to drop off my gun :banghead:
I won't trample others rights just because my state tramples mine. I think if that scenario were to play out it would be a massive equal protection issue. If it were to happen and they did not remedy the situation, a cross border primary residence in WI would be contemplated.

devildoc5

I almost gave up hope on my home state IL of one day being able to visit my family armed. However, I have some questions:

1) Since IL is not a Pre-Emp state, will the proposed bill keep me from having to know what all the gun laws are in each city and county?!?
2) What will the proposed bill do about 1000' school zones?!?
3) Will Chicago still be off limits?!?

Believe me when I say, I want this bill to pass on many levels because I hate driving all the way to Chicago to see my family unarmed!!! Thanks in advance for any clarification anyone can provide!!

Well I am not to up on illinois lzw as much as I should be since I don't currently reside there.

However this bill is shall-issue so the sheriff has to issue you a permit if you are qualified.

That being said I don't know if illinois is prempt or not so if they are not counties and cities can make laws prohibiting cc in their jurisdictions. (Like I said not sure of specific illinois code or premption status)

As far as the school zones are concerned federally you would be covered. (Not sure about illinois state law though)

PracticalTactical

I'll veterans can get a florida ccw for 117$ plus dd214. I'll non vets can take a class and get non resident utah (prices vary depending on course fee)

I wouldn't go the Utah route. They will no longer issue permits to anybody who doesn't have a permit from their home state if that state recognizes Utah permits. With IL not issuing any permits, that makes it impossible to get.

Go for an Arizona permit. For those without a DD-214, you can take any NRA course or hunter safety course. Also, the state fee is only $60 for a 5-year permit. If you shop around a bit your total cost will be well under $200.

Plus AZ recognition is comparable to UT or FL.

---------------
Shameless Sig Plug: Practical Tactical Training - The Best CHL class value in Southern New Mexico. PM me for details or call 575-520-8888

protias

I wouldn't go the Utah route. They will no longer issue permits to anybody who doesn't have a permit from their home state if that state recognizes Utah permits. With IL not issuing any permits, that makes it impossible to get.
I know they were talking about that but did not know they stopped doing that. Link for reference?

mrjam2jab

Go for an Arizona permit. For those without a DD-214, you can take any NRA course or hunter safety course. Also, the state fee is only $60 for a 5-year permit. If you shop around a bit your total cost will be well under $200.

Plus AZ recognition is comparable to UT or FL.

I highly recommend the AZ permit frequently. But I think you are confusing the UT thing just a tad.

They will only issue to a non-resident if he has a home state permit IF his home state honors the UT permit. Since IL does not honor the UT permit, an IL resident does not have to have a home state permit.

Line 74 of the bill

PracticalTactical

I know they were talking about that but did not know they stopped doing that. Link for reference?

http://le.utah.gov/~2011/bills/sbillamd/sb0036s01.htm

Last I heard, it was sitting on the UT governor's desk awaiting a signature.

I can see how non-residents would be pissed, but none of them are Utah voters. Several states, including neighboring New Mexico dropped them from recognition and several more were planning it, so the residents had to come first.

Good news is that states like CA and NY don't recognize a UT permit so people there can still get a UT permit to travel with.

----------
Shameless Sig Plug: Practical Tactical Training - The Best CHL class value in Southern New Mexico. PM me for details or call 575-520-8888

js12278

So if I understand this correctly, since the Utah Governor signed the bill into law, it seems that the law is now in Utah for Non-resident:

"... requires a nonresident applicant for a concealed firearm permit to hold a current
concealed firearm or concealed weapon permit from the applicant's state of
residency that recognizes the validity of the Utah permit in that state or has
reciprocity with the Utah concealed firearm permit law..."

If this is the case, what is the point of an Illinois resident getting this permit, since Illinois currently does NOT issue CCW permits to its residents.
I know of a few people registered to take classes for applying for the UTAH Non-Resident CCW permit. Under the new Utah law, it would seem Illinois residents will be denied. Unless the instructors of the class know that Illinois will recognize the permit, there really is no reason for an Illinois resident to pay or take this class, only to be denied the permit.
Am I correct in my interpretation? Thank you.

mrjam2jab

So if I understand this correctly, since the Utah Governor signed the bill into law, it seems that the law is now in Utah for Non-resident:

"... requires a nonresident applicant for a concealed firearm permit to hold a current
concealed firearm or concealed weapon permit from the applicant's state of
residency that recognizes the validity of the Utah permit in that state or has
reciprocity with the Utah concealed firearm permit law..."

If this is the case, what is the point of an Illinois resident getting this permit, since Illinois currently does NOT issue CCW permits to its residents.
I know of a few people registered to take classes for applying for the UTAH Non-Resident CCW permit. Under the new Utah law, it would seem Illinois residents will be denied. Unless the instructors of the class know that Illinois will recognize the permit, there really is no reason for an Illinois resident to pay or take this class, only to be denied the permit.
Am I correct in my interpretation? Thank you.

You only need a Home state permit IF your state recognizes the UT permit. Since IL does not recognize the UT permit you do not need a IL permit in order to get the UT permit.

(4) (a) In addition to meeting the other qualifications for the issuance of a concealed
75 firearm permit under this section, a nonresident applicant S. who resides in a state that
75a recognizes the validity of the Utah permit or has reciprocity with Utah's concealed firearm
75b permit law .S shall:
76 (i) hold a current concealed firearm or concealed weapon permit issued by the
77 appropriate permitting authority of the nonresident applicant's state of residency

Last edited:

Kingfish

You only need a Home state permit IF your state recognizes the UT permit. Since IL does not recognize the UT permit you do not need a IL permit in order to get the UT permit.
And even if UT was not an option, there are alot more non-res permits out there...FL, AZ to name a couple.

Last edited:

js12278

Thank you for clarifying that. Sometimes it baffles me that Illinois goes out of its way to trample on people's rights, that I can't make heads or tales of it.

Here is another question, if I might, If Illinois does pass the CCW permit for residents, and has reciprocity, would one expect the current holders of Utahs CCW permits to remain valid until expiration?

I think Illinois might be serious about allowing CCW this go around. I also have a feeling they will have some wording similar to Minnesota (as I understand it), requiring an 8 hour class and not recognizing permits with lower guidelines.

Thanks again for the quick reply.

MKEgal

devildoc5 said:
As far as the school zones are concerned federally you would be covered.
ACK!!! No, no, no...

The federal "GF"SZ law says you're only exempt with a permit to carry issued by that state.

http://codes.lp.findlaw.com/uscode/18/I/44/922
It shall be unlawful for any individual knowingly to possess a firearm that has moved in or that otherwise affects interstate or foreign commerce at a place that the individual knows, or has reasonable cause to believe, is a school zone.

(B) Subparagraph (A) does not apply to the possession of a firearm -

(i) on private property not part of school grounds; or

(ii) if the individual possessing the firearm is licensed to do so by the State in which the school zone is located or a political subdivision of the State, and the law of the State or political subdivision requires that, before an individual obtains such a license, the law enforcement authorities of the State or political subdivision verify that the individual is qualified under law to receive the license. or

(iii) that is -
(I) not loaded; and
(II) in a locked container, or a locked firearms rack that is on a motor vehicle; or

(iv) by an individual for use in a program approved by a school in the school zone; or

(v) by an individual in accordance with a contract entered into between a school in the school zone and the individual or an employer of the individual; or

(vi) by a law enforcement officer acting in his or her official capacity;
So I can walk or drive past a school in 3 states carrying a loaded pistol openly or concealed... just not my current state of residence. The laws are so screwed up.

mrjam2jab

Thank you for clarifying that. Sometimes it baffles me that Illinois goes out of its way to trample on people's rights, that I can't make heads or tales of it.

Here is another question, if I might, If Illinois does pass the CCW permit for residents, and has reciprocity, would one expect the current holders of Utahs CCW permits to remain valid until expiration?

I think Illinois might be serious about allowing CCW this go around. I also have a feeling they will have some wording similar to Minnesota (as I understand it), requiring an 8 hour class and not recognizing permits with lower guidelines.

Thanks again for the quick reply.

Yeah, cuz those of us who didn't need to take a class in order to obtain our permits are just too dangerous.. ;-P

WHEN IL allows permits for residents....and IF they have reciprocity with UT...your UT permit will still be valid until it expires. You would have to obtain the IL permit in order to renew UT.

Last edited:

junglebob

If this law passes I , an Illinois resident, will be carrying with my Utah and Pa non-resident LTC. When HB148, the Illinois Right to Carry passes, I'll get the Illinois LTC.

Last edited:

MikeTheGreek

Why do you leave your gun in Michigan?

I was told you can only bring a firearm into IL from Michigan if its locked in the trunk, and you're going straight through IL.

I would be visiting friends and family, and I was told it's illegal to have your gun while staying in IL for more than just a straight shot through.

devildoc5

ACK!!! No, no, no...

The federal "GF"SZ law says you're only exempt with a permit to carry issued by that state.

http://codes.lp.findlaw.com/uscode/18/I/44/922

So I can walk or drive past a school in 3 states carrying a loaded pistol openly or concealed... just not my current state of residence. The laws are so screwed up.

I believe you took my quote out of context. I was responding to someone asking about gfsz's if IL ccw was passed. If you reference your link they would than have a permit issued in their home state. That would clear them federally.

However I am not sure what the state laws are in regards to this...

awnuts

Ok I still dont get why IL residents go to the expense of gettin a Utah permit. You cant use it in illinois and its not recognized. And utahs getting issues with other states so thats diminishing the usefullness of the license.Yes I'm in NM, but because of chicago gun laws and the states I moved here.But lived there 43 years and hated to hide and sneak around just to go shooting. I'm all for IL going with a ccw.I too doubt that Emanuels going to let it pass in chicago because he's cut from the same crooked cloth as Daley.But some is better than none.