• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

I'm a traitor...

D

Desertdoc

imported post

bayboy42 wrote:
Easy on the G-lock comments MSgt B......I know where you eat once a month :lol:
How many recycled glocks does it take to make a real gun anyhow? :lol:

bayboy42

imported post

Dutch....help me out here man.....didn't you buy one this past weekend?!?!?!:uhoh::lol:

Doc...thats an easy one.....theres no such thing as a recycled Glock cause they last forever :lol:

PaulG

imported post

I think we worry way too much about the juries, etc. God forbid the police should move to .32 caliber guns or we will be screwed in court if we carry anything else. I can't buy this argument.

Ayoob does point out the dangers in various carry choices. However, he also says that you need to be able to articulate why you did what you did and if you can, you should be ok.

For example, he points out that you can explain to the jury that you use a laser sight in order to improve accuracy and avoid hitting an innocent person on the street.

Also, you can explain the steps needed in order to fire a 1911. Grip safety first, take off the thumb safety as you index on the target, finger on trigger ONLY after you have made the decision to shoot.

If your attorney explains things well, you should be fine. If he can't, it won't matter much what you are carrying. An anti-gun prosecutor will turn anything you do to the dark side. It's up to you and your attorney at present the facts accurately.

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Bayboy,
I did indeed buy a Glock last weekend. It was custom chambered in .50 Action Express. Eat your heart out, MSgt. It'll outshoot that little 5 shot blister-o-matic .357 stubbie!

Scurvy

imported post

danbus wrote:
I recently went to the range with family and Dutch Uncle (A & P Arms VA Beach).

I really, really dislike the LONG DAO trigger of my Taurus. It's a great gun and super accurate, however, I feel it's "not for me". I posted my experiences with shooting a XD 45 with wonderful results (however I would like to shoot one again just to be sure). XD 45s are DAO, however they are mechanically SA, which proves to be "easier" for me to shoot.

Anyways, I was whining to try a 1911. The employee pointed to the Springfield 1911 they had for rent.

:what:

Yes, I'll try it out! To my surprise, I learned the joys of SINGLE ACTION 1911. Man, I really couldn't hit squat with my gun, but with the 1911, I'm shooting within 2.5 inch groups. The recoil isn't bad at all, however my wrist hurt after 50 rounds (wasn't used to it yet and I heard it passes). Yeesh! Is it wrong to want to get a different gun after only having one for a month?

Yes, yes, I know I should practice with what I have, but...SA is soooooooooo smooth. And it would be logical to practice with something I'm already decent with.

Any thoughts?

I just want to clarify that the XD line are True SAO. They function quite differently than the glock, safe action. the striker is held compressed waiting to sling forward. it is stopp by a block and a firing pin safety. When the trigger is pulled, the sear pushed up on the firing pin safety and drops the block allowing the striker to sling forward and strike the primer.

The firing pin safety is the main reason for the XDs rather large take up.

1911 triggers are so nice because most, except model 80s, do no have the firing pin safety.

SIGarmed229

imported post

Ok this might be a stupid question but its really bugging me....When the law says "one gun a month" does it mean you can buy a handgun every 31 days? or does it mean every month such as Jan-Feb = 1 month. What im trying to figure out is if i buy a gun on March 31rst can I buy another one on April 1rst? Its like a brain teaser :shock::cuss::banghead:

VAopencarry

imported post

One gun every 30 days, If you buy a gun March 1st must wait until April 1st. You can buy another gun in less than 30 days IF you trade in a gun at the same time.

The 1 gun a month rule does not apply to CHP holders. Buy a gun March 1st buy another March 2nd etc. Or buy 2 on March 1st:)

Tomahawk

imported post

SIGarmed229 wrote:
Ok this might be a stupid question but its really bugging me....When the law says "one gun a month" does it mean you can buy a handgun every 31 days? or does it mean every month such as Jan-Feb = 1 month. What im trying to figure out is if i buy a gun on March 31rst can I buy another one on April 1rst? Its like a brain teaser :shock::cuss::banghead:

It means that as a Virginian, you MUST buy one gun every month. It's a tough burden, but if you really love your freedom you'll find a way!

(just kidding, of course)

VAopencarry

imported post

Good man! I do, it's lots of fun. I have been known to buy 2-3 a month. I do occasionally sell one. Probably buy 1 this weekend, maybe 2. I am not a revovler guy but there is a lighlty used one for a killer price, SP101 .357, I might not be able to pass up.:D

MSgt B

imported post

VAopencarry, that .357 Ruger you refered to is the "5-shot blister-o-matic" that Darth...uh, i mean...Dutch Uncle was talking about up near the top of this page.

That pistol is just downright fun to shoot, there's no other way to say it.

I went shooting with the "Uncle" last month until the Hogue grips wore a blister on the web of my right hand. It took less than an hour. (158gr JHPs)