• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Informing law enforcement while driving...

riegnman

imported post

My only question is this:

Why do you have a permit and not a weapon on your person? :)

Seriously though, I have a legit question. I am planning on a trip to Greenville, SC this weekend and I have a VA. CHP. Does anyone know where I can find out if there is reciprocity between the two states?

Thanks.

LEO 229

imported post

riegnman wrote:

Seriously though, I have a legit question. I am planning on a trip to Greenville, SC this weekend and I have a VA. CHP. Does anyone know where I can find out if there is reciprocity between the two states?

Thanks.
Here you go

Direct link to your bad news...

http://www.nraila.org/recmap/southcarolinarec.pdf

Link to all states

http://www.nraila.org/recmap/usrecmap.aspx

This is nice too
http://www.nraila.org/GunLaws/#?st=VA

riegnman

imported post

That's just great. The good news is that I can keep my defense close by in an unlocked glove box in SC. Actually, my son and I will be on the motorcycle, so it will be close by in the tour pack. just a zipper away.

Of course that's not near a good as being in an ankle holster or on my side, but it's better than a rock. :)

Can someone tell me what the downsides of a Federal CHP would be? It seems that it would be much better than having to worry about what states I'm passing through and such. But maybe I "can't see the forest for the trees".

LEO 229

imported post

riegnman wrote:
That's just great. The good news is that I can keep my defense close by in an unlocked glove box in SC. Actually, my son and I will be on the motorcycle, so it will be close by in the tour pack. just a zipper away.

Of course that's not near a good as being in an ankle holster or on my side, but it's better than a rock. :)

Can someone tell me what the downsides of a Federal CHP would be? It seems that it would be much better than having to worry about what states I'm passing through and such. But maybe I "can't see the forest for the trees".

I have not been told of a Federal CHP.... can you elaborate?

Ya... at least having it available on your trip is better than not having it at all.

riegnman

imported post

I have not heard of one either. Maybe it's something worth pushing for though. I hate to give the federal gov't more power or oversight, but it seems like it would be the best thing to do.

It's just that any time you mention a federal anything there are the nay-sayers that have the knee-jerk reaction about the federal gov't taking over everything. I didn't know the climate of such things here on the board.

It's a sad fact, but alot - if not most - pro-firearm people have at least minor "anti-gov't" leanings. Or maybe it's just that those are the ones that the media like to interview. :)

These are my first posts, though I know John personally. As a matter of fact, John Pierce sold me my very first handgun. Good work John. Keep getting the word out.

LEO 229

imported post

I always wondered why LEOs could not carry in all states. I know that when I was inMichigan.. the local boys said I could carry and they did not care. They told me.. do not conceal in Ohio!!! They will lock you up!

I further believed that a CC permit in one state should be honored in another as long as it could be verified easily.

Obviously, I was delighted they the Bill was passed to permit LEOs to carry in all states. I wondered why this had not been done a long time ago.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Hawkflyer wrote:
ChinChin wrote:
...SNIP
Not a badge-basher, but those people in Manassas need some serious retraining.
As a professional LE trainer I can assure you that you are mistaken. Before they can be "RETRAINED", they must be trained in the first place. It is clear that this critical first step has been omitted.

Regards
Good one Hawk!:cool:

riegnman

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
I always wondered why LEOs could not carry in all states. I know that when I was inMichigan.. the local boys said I could carry and they did not care. They told me.. do not conceal in Ohio!!! They will lock you up!

I further believed that a CC permit in one state should be honored in another as long as it could be verified easily.

Obviously, I was delighted they the Bill was passed to permit LEOs to carry in all states. I wondered why this had not been done a long time ago.

I wonder how stringent the requirements would have to be to get a federal CCW. You have to admit, VA has some of the lightest requirements that there are. I didn't have to do anything except show my DD-214 and I had mine in 21 days, but I was a firearms instructor in the Army. I'll be honest, I'd be willing to pay for the classes and take them if required to be able to conceal in every state in our great nation. Also, there is a federal building withing reasonable driving distance of most people in the U.S. They could hold the classes there.

I saw something on the news about D.C. citizens now being able to own guns and keep them in their houses. Apparently this is a new thing that has just come about. Anybody heard or know anything?

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

riegnman wrote:
You have to admit, VA has some of the lightest requirements that there are. I didn't have to do anything except show my DD-214 and I had mine in 21 days, but I was a firearms instructor in the Army.
But remember, a CHP is just a license to put your coat on.

LEO 229

imported post

riegnman wrote:
LEO 229 wrote:

I wonder how stringent the requirements would have to be to get a federal CCW. You have to admit, VA has some of the lightest requirements that there are. I didn't have to do anything except show my DD-214 and I had mine in 21 days, but I was a firearms instructor in the Army. I'll be honest, I'd be willing to pay for the classes and take them if required to be able to conceal in every state in our great nation. Also, there is a federal building withing reasonable driving distance of most people in the U.S. They could hold the classes there.

I saw something on the news about D.C. citizens now being able to own guns and keep them in their houses. Apparently this is a new thing that has just come about. Anybody heard or know anything?

If the Feds would need to establish some criteria that must be met by the citizen and for each state to abide by it. The states could issue the permits as they do now but enter them into a national database instead of locally.. if at all.

Off the top of my head... The people took the DC Gun ban to court and they basically won. The Judges determined it was wrong and that the ban since 1976 would have to end. But now DC is considering how far to take it to have the decision reversed.

The people were prohibited from protecting themselves!! Only two people in DC had guns.... Cops and Criminals. The criminals knew the citizens were unarmed and easy pickings.

*1000*

BobCav

Founder's Club Member
imported post

CONGA-RATS!!

CongaRats2.gif

(now let me find some of your dupe posts to delete...muahahaha...)

LEO 229

imported post

BobCav wrote:
CONGA-RATS!!

(now let me find some of your dupe posts to delete...muahahaha...)
I filled up those dupes with replies.. I could not them them go to waste!

Do NOT delete!!! :what:

riegnman

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
If the Feds would need to establish some criteria that must be met by the citizen and for each state to abide by it. The states could issue the permits as they do now but enter them into a national database instead of locally.. if at all.

Off the top of my head... The people took the DC Gun ban to court and they basically won. The Judges determined it was wrong and that the ban since 1976 would have to end. But now DC is considering how far to take it to have the decision reversed.

The people were prohibited from protecting themselves!! Only two people in DC had guns.... Cops and Criminals. The criminals knew the citizens were unarmed and easy pickings.

*1000*

Let's see. Citizens in D.C. have been unable to possess guns since 1976. . . Well, we know that there has been NO gun crime in D.C. since '76, so maybe it worked.

Where did these people learn their logical reasoning? It's like the girl at the movie theater in Bristol. I was showing my brother from N.C. the sign outside the theater that says no firearms allowed when the girl asked me if she could help me. I told her "No" that I don't patronize places that try to steal my constitutional rights. She looked at me like I two noses on my face and then asked me what I was talking about. When I told her that the right to keep and bear arms was in the constitution and that the theater wished to infringe on my right, she told me that the reason they didn't allow firearms was to keep people from coming in and shooting the place up. When I asked her if she thought that the little green sign would stop someone hell-bent on a murderous rampage she replied, "Sir, I don't make the rules." - (after she looked at me like I had just sprouted another nose).

I have to try to remember that she was educated in a government school and was probably only a junior or senior, so there is no reason for me to expect her to know anything about the constitution of the countryin whichshe was so blessed to be born.

Sorry, I'll step down off my soap box now.

LEO 229

imported post

riegnman wrote:
Let's see. Citizens in D.C. have been unable to possess guns since 1976. . . Well, we know that there has been NO gun crime in D.C. since '76, so maybe it worked.

Ya... since the ban has been in force for the past 31 years... it is obvious that it works cause crime with firearms has halted and is now non-existent in DC.

Wait... DChasgun crime every single day there and normally one or two murders too. How can that happen?? They have a gun ban there but criminals obviously do not care.

I think we need to keep the ban and really go after those criminals with a more stern tone of voice. We need to tell them once and for all.... NO GUNS ALLOWED!

OK.. for those did not get it.. I was obviously joking. The law does not work and the people are easy targets.

Image if DC allowed OC..... I bet crime would drop since the bad guys driving away after a shooting could in turn.. be shot by a dozen citizens who would only have been witnesses in the past.

riegnman

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
Image if DC allowed OC..... I bet crime would drop since the bad guys driving away after a shooting could in turn.. be shot by a dozen citizens who would only have been witnesses in the past.
You know the saying, "an armed society is a polite society"

LEO 229

imported post

riegnman wrote:
LEO 229 wrote:
You know the saying, "an armed society is a polite society"
This is so true... I would think twice before walking up to some guy with a gun and punching him in the mouth.

The argument from DC will probably be... we need to keep guns off the street. We want to be able to charge the bad guys when they get caught packing.

But it really does not matter since the bad guys are packing anyway. Law or no law.... They have the advantage over the people. Unarmed victims are easy to come by at the ATM.

rabbit994

imported post

riegnman wrote:

Thanks.

I might be coming home from work or Maryland. I know that CHP status is going to pop in VCIN and I'm saving the "It says here you have a permit but you didn't tell me." line.

Packin, I understand you hate getting tickets (don't we all) but if ticket was deserved, just take ticket and own up to it. Don't try to get out of it because cop did something stupid not related to ticket. If he screwed up something with ticket then by all means, take it to court. It's honorable thing to do IMO.

unrequited

imported post

Mike wrote:
riegnman wrote:
You have to admit, VA has some of the lightest requirements that there are. I didn't have to do anything except show my DD-214 and I had mine in 21 days, but I was a firearms instructor in the Army.
But remember, a CHP is just a license to put your coat on.
That's hillarious. Imma start using it when people ask me why anybody would ever want to get a CHP.

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Coanso wrote:
Maybe I'm off topic but... If driving through a state having reciprocity with VA, and that state requires a handgun to be registered and individually licensed (Wash.??), what are the legal ramifications if VA doesn't require registration/licensing?

I believe that there is a requirement that your possession of the weapon be legal in both states. You should actually look into this from the WA side as that is where the issue is raised. But if you could not posses the gun in WA without the permit (registration requirement would imply that) then the VA permit does not overcome that restriction. But you should check the laws there.

Regards

LEO 229

imported post

Hawkflyer wrote:
Coanso wrote:
Maybe I'm off topic but... If driving through a state having reciprocity with VA, and that state requires a handgun to beregistered and individually licensed (Wash.??), whatare the legal ramifications if VA doesn't require registration/licensing?

I believe that there is a requirement that your possession of the weapon be legal in both states. You should actually look into this from the WA side as that is where the issue is raised. But if you could not posses the gun in WA without the permit (registration requirement would imply that) then the VA permit does not overcome that restriction. But you should check the laws there.

Regards
Not sure you need to license or register it in your home state just because you live there. You would if you kept it in that state with you but youcan leave it at your brother's house in another state and pick it up as I travel the great USA.