• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Instructors Run Rampant In Wisconsin!!!

MKEgal

Whoa!

jpm84092 said:
I was trying to reinforce your position, not attack it. My point was to tell WI Carry members to select instructors based on their verifiable credentials, the referral of other members of WI Carry, and not just the undocumented claims of the host of new "Instructors" your original post was directed at.
Which is exactly what I've thought he meant.
Especially with the wave of dubious classes that's inundated us in the last couple weeks, that's sensible advice.
If there are classes being run by uncredentialed people, they could have really good info, or they could be crap, but if the trainers are uncredentialed (according to the requirements of the new law) people have wasted their $ as far as getting a WI permit.
They'll send in their certificate & get a denial, then have to find a conforming course, pay more, take the class, & send in another application. And if they're like most people, they won't be carrying while they're waiting, because most people (say they) won't carry openly.

CalicoJack said:
I don't like the way you promote basic training as a way to get as many people to carry as possible
I've said it before: ya gotta start somewhere.
Making someone minimally competent, not likely to harm themselves or anyone they don't intend to shoot, & hopefully knowing the law about self-defense, is a start.
That's where I started out. That's probably where a lot of us started.
Very few people have the elite military training you've been lucky to have. That's part of why what you teach is so valuable.

Given that it's not likely any particular person would actually shoot at an attacker, "minimally competent" will work for most people most of the time.
And even as cynical as I can be, I think people will realize that they are only minimally competent & seek better training.
But meanwhile, having more good people prepared to defend themselves is a good thing.

CalicoJack said:
I don't like the way you jump on every thread to promote yourself as an instructor
CJ, you know I respect your knowledge & ability to teach...
Pot, meet kettle.
Besides, I think you're exaggerating just a bit. :rolleyes:

CalicoJack said:
you apparently don't think through what you say before you say it
Whoa! This is way off base.

Last edited:

oak1971

Was forwarded a solicitation from Racine Instinctive Bowmen regarding classes offered by "Legal Heat". It's getting silly now.:banghead:

Tom Maassen

Around me they're strategic in the placement. The Wal-Mart parking lot down the road is peppered with them by every entrance/exit of the parking lot. Found a flyer under my trucks wiper blade yesterday for one that was obviously a rip off. The most ironic one I found was posted in a school parking lot by the tennis courts.

I'm agreeing with JPM. It's the forums and seasoned veterans that will have the inside scoops on proper training, not the guy who is advertising with windshield flyers

HandyHamlet

Hmmmm.

I suspect that is an oak too. I'm not good enough to identify that tree just by it's bark pattern though. I would need to see a leaf to be sure.

davegran

Cassville Area -Twelve Miles From Anything, Wiscon
Does that mean they shoot without bow sights, or are they just "extra sensitive" to their surroundings???
dude.gif

So where do I sign up for Karen's Treehugger Concealed Carry class? If she is packing in the picture, I have much to learn from her.... :uhoh:

Last edited: