• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Insurance Question

budlight

imported post

They are asking this for health insurance??? So if I say I have a gun in my house the insurance goes up? I hope the doctor was just asking on his own and not for some insurance company.

PDinDetroit

imported post

springerdave wrote:
Dr. sir, I have worked very hard all my life to make sure that I don't die with A gun in my home.:what:;):celebratespringerdave.
Old springerdave had a home, ee-i-ee-i-o
And in that home he had a shotgun, ee-i-ee-i-o
With a rack-rack here and a boom-boom there
Here a rack, there a boom, everywhere a rack - boom
Old springerdave had a home, ee-i-ee-i-o.

A Chambered Round is a terrible thing to waste!

Taurus850CIA

imported post

TheSzerdi wrote:
Is there a legal requirement compelling honesty here? If not, the answer is NO. Any other answer means yes and you are now "on the list."
Exactly what I was thinking. Yes, by default, unless the answer is explicitly "no".

zigziggityzoo

Campaign Veteran
imported post

TheSzerdi wrote:
Is there a legal requirement compelling honesty here? If not, the answer is NO. Any other answer means yes and you are now "on the list."
Lying on a form from an insurance agency could be used as evidence to deny coverage at a later date.

Food for thought.

bruiser 160

imported post

Hi, new guy here. I ran into this question on a form in a doctors office about 15 years ago. I just left it blank as it didn`t have anything to do with being sick.:banghead:

American Boy With a Gun

imported post

PDinDetroit wrote:
springerdave wrote:
Dr. sir, I have worked very hard all my life to make sure that I don't die with A gun in my home.:what:;):celebratespringerdave.
Old springerdave had a home, ee-i-ee-i-o
And in that home he had a shotgun, ee-i-ee-i-o
With a rack-rack here and a boom-boom there
Here a rack, there a boom, everywhere a rack - boom
Old springerdave had a home, ee-i-ee-i-o.

A Chambered Round is a terrible thing to waste!
lol...thats pretty catchy lol

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
imported post

Since this is a question being asked by the doctor, the best way to answer is to first, be polite. Just because you may not like the question is no reason to be rude. The doctor is simply following instructions from the insurance company.

If you want to be truthful, but you don't want to answer. Then just say, "I refuse to answer that question." You don't need to explain yourself, just politely refuse to answer.

If your doctor insists, after your polite reply, then, feel free to get rude. If you must. :)

Myself, I prefer the "kill them with kindness" routine. As long as you're polite, they've got very little room to complain or label you as a "trouble maker." And really, profanity has no place in the doctor's office, unless it's a response to something really painful. :what:

malignity

imported post

Actually, before any more conspiracies fly and get me giggling more, I'll explain exactly why they ask. I work in the medical field, and I've had the opportunity to ask doctors why some of them have asked in the past. I've never been asked myself, however I've heard of this being done before.

Insurance companies ask because it's 'accident prevention'. Insurance may have to cover you if you're an idiot and accidentally shoot yourself. Yes, it's incredibly stupid. They also may have to cover you if you accidentally smash your thumb with a hammer. They have no business knowing this information.

Doctors ask the same question because of malpractice. SOME doctors will not perform any risky procedures on you if they do not have the answer to this question, because they're afraid that if they botch a procedure, you'll come after them with your gun. They also have no business knowing this information.

Regardless, neither need to know. No, it's not the government wanting to know this information, it's the doctors and insurance companies. There's no hidden motivation behind it. If the government wanted to know, they wouldn't have private insurance agencies do their dirty work, where we can simply not answer the question. They'd put it on something mandatory that we all have to fill out, like the Census.

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
imported post

T Vance wrote:
I was super polite.
I never said you weren't. ;) But some of the suggestions I've seen are not nice.

Just remember the words of Dalton, from Road House:

If somebody gets in your face and calls you a **********, I want you to be nice. Ask him to walk. Be nice. If he won't walk, walk him. But be nice. If you can't walk him, one of the others will help you, and you'll both be nice. I want you to remember that it's a job. It's nothing personal.
I try to apply that to life in general, and it works................most of the time. :)

eastmeyers

imported post

malignity wrote:
Regardless, neither need to know. No, it's not the government wanting to know this information, it's the doctors and insurance companies. There's no hidden motivation behind it. If the government wanted to know, they wouldn't have private insurance agencies do their dirty work, where we can simply not answer the question. They'd put it on something mandatory that we all have to fill out, like the Census.
Speaking of this... Why does the census need to know your name? If you fill it out correctly with the age, race, and howmany peoples in your house, than why the names? I just filled mine out about ten minutes ago, and I didn't put mine or the womens name on it. Filled it out to the T other than that. Wrote a little note, "I do not know why the Fedral Government to know mine or my Girlfriends name. I have givin you all the required information you need in order to count me, I have filled everyother question you requested. If you are so concerned I am sure you can contact the Michigan Secratary of State, my County Tressurere, or the Post Office. God Bless."

Evil Creamsicle

imported post

eastmeyers wrote:
malignity wrote:
Speaking of this... Why does the census need to know your name? If you fill it out correctly with the age, race, and howmany peoples in your house, than why the names? I just filled mine out about ten minutes ago, and I didn't put mine or the womens name on it. Filled it out to the T other than that. Wrote a little note, "I do not know why the Fedral Government to know mine or my Girlfriends name. I have givin you all the required information you need in order to count me, I have filled everyother question you requested. If you are so concerned I am sure you can contact the Michigan Secratary of State, my County Tressurere, or the Post Office. God Bless."
They don't need it I'm sure, but I can say from experience working at a library that Census results are incredibly valuable in helping people trace their ancestry.