• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Interesting event in Quiznos

shadowalker

imported post

I wanted to share an event that occured at Quiznos a while ago. I've open carried at several locations many times without any problems.

This particular day the location was somewhat busy, I was waiting to purchase my sandwiches and there was another male patron to my right paying an unsual amount of attention to me.

I'm left handed and he could not see my left side so I figured he had seen my spare magazines and realized I was carrying. I smiled at him and watched him with my peripheral vision.

30 seconds later or so he moved from my right side and began standing behind me to my left which made me uncomfortable because it is customary to stand against the counter until it is your turn to pay.

I repositioned my body so that my weapon was pointed away from him and I could again see him out of the corner of my eye, at that time he moved back against the counter so I again discretely repositioned myself.

At this point it was clear to me that he intentionally wanted to be in my blind spot, particularly on my weapon side. I figured he either was setting up for a grab attempt or wanted to be in a good position to take me down should go crazy.

Luckily by this time I was done paying and left, had I not been I would have left anyway.

Just thought I'd share.

IdahoCorsair

State Researcher
imported post

Sounds like your situational awareness was good. Sounds like you did well... re-position to defend your firearm. This also illustrates the need for close quarter strikes in conjunction with pulling your gun... often just 'going for it' won't work (by itself) when you're at breathing distance. Bravo!

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

shadowalker wrote:
SNIP I was done paying and left, had I not been I would have left anyway.

Good moves.

Thanks for sharing. It gives readers a chance to think up solutions should it ever happen to them.

An alternative ploy comes to mind:

Pick up your tray and regress in line, as though to pick out a dessert or a different bag of chips.

If the blind-spotter follows, then it is definitely time to leave.* Or perhaps ask the blind-spotter if he is an LEO.

An uncooperative response could be met with, "Well, there is the video camera, lets just see what the police say about someone repeatedly settingup for a gun-grab." (Dial 911).

*Maybe just leaving isn't the best idea. If he is a concerned citizen or LEO, he might take it that he has ruined your "robbery plans."

BrianEMT

imported post

Well then again anyone who is going to rob a joint isn't going to walk in OC with a nice holster. They are either going to conceal it for as long as they can or just walk in waving it around...

And no LEO is going to stand in a carrier's blindspot, knowing first hand just how un-nerving it is to have someone roving around that area.

I think you were perfectly right in what you did, now I use a Fobus Paddle, it makes it easy to personally draw but nearly impossible for someone else to do so. And in case you have seen the video floating around YouTube, that is why people made tethers. :)

shadowalker

imported post

I do usually open carry in a retention holster but don't believe it would make a huge difference, most people are capable of figuring out retention devices very quickly.

LEOs carry retention holsters but there are multiple cases of the BG being able to get the firearm from them in a relatively short amount of time, of course it isn't always clear whether they got it from the holster or from the LEO after they themselves unholstered.

I guess my point is I think they can be a good idea but basically carrying in a retention holster does not make me significantly more comfortable than carrying in a non retetion holster.