• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Is it necessary to reply to a LEO's request during a traffic stop?

Sheriff

But if you don't roll down the window, Nova229 will bust your window, tase you and drag you out at gunpoint....all for your own safety of course.:lol::lol::lol::lol:

I come and go here on OpenCarry a lot. I might go many months without peeping in. Recently I upgraded my home desktop and forgot to even add the OpenCarry link. But, wasn't this Nova229 guy/girl here on with some other user name(s) a while back?

There's many videos out here online about what the cops teach people to do in a case where they suspect the person attempting to stop them might not be a real cop. Including the driver only rolling their window a bit until the cop has properly identified himself/herself. If a cop breaks my window and drags me out for "contempt of cop", he/she will find themselves on the receiving end of a lawsuit.

Repeater

Spent some time searching around in Municode... notice that all three of these require RAS, although the Virginia Beach code is based on an undefined "public safety" concern rather than a crime being committed.

Norfolk:
Sec. 29-73.1. - Suspects to identify themselves.

(a) Any law enforcement officer may detain any person whom the officer encounters under circumstances creating a reasonable suspicion that the person has committed, is committing or is about to commit a crime, and require the person to identify himself. Any person so detained shall identify himself by giving his full legal name, but may not be compelled to answer any other inquiry of any law enforcement officer.

(b) A person violating the provisions of this section shall be guilty of a class 3 misdemeanor.​

Chesapeake:

Sec. 46-209. - Providing identification to law enforcement officers.

It shall be unlawful and a class 1 misdemeanor for any person to refuse to identify himself by name at the request of a law enforcement officer, or to provide false information in response to such request, if the surrounding circumstances are such that the officer has a reasonable suspicion that the person has committed, is committing or is about to commit a crime. This ordinance shall take effect immediately upon its adoption.​

Virginia Beach:

Sec. 23-7.1. - Providing identification to police officer.

It shall be unlawful and a Class 1 misdemeanor for any person at a public place or place open to the public to refuse to identify himself by name and address at the request of a uniformed police officer or of a properly identified police officer not in uniform, or to provide false information in response to such a request, if the surrounding circumstances are such as to indicate to a reasonable man that the public safety requires such identification.​

TFred

Wanted to add Arlington County:

Arlington County Code

§ 17-13(c):
It shall be unlawful for any person at a public place or place open to the public to refuse to identify himself by name and address at the request of a uniformed police officer or of a properly identified police officer not in uniform, if the surrounding circumstances are such as to indicate to a reasonable man that the public safety requires such identification.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I come and go here on OpenCarry a lot. I might go many months without peeping in. Recently I upgraded my home desktop and forgot to even add the OpenCarry link. But, wasn't this Nova229 guy/girl here on with some other user name(s) a while back?

He says he wasn't...but you know how those Nova Cops are empowered to twist the truth in the name of justice.:lol:

Jonesy

Max, I generally don't take threads like this too seriousely because they can get a little silly.
The simple fact is, when you ask for permission to carry a gun, you give up some rights. Not by law but by simple human nature. If there is a way, they will abuse their authority.

I had to chuckle at one of John's reprimands the other day. He said something like we didn't want to offend our LEO friends.

Now I have friends that are police officers but I don't have any police officers that are friends. When they put the uniform on and go to work, they become the enemy. Not the kind you want to harm, just the kind you want to avoid and refuse to give information to.

If an officer asked me if I'm armed, I don't mind answering. "Sure am stupid, see the gun in the holster"....but if I'm pulled over for something, nothing comes up on the license check that would indicate I am.

That's just one disadvantage of getting permission to hide your gun.

I have been considering getting my permit. This seems to be a good reason not to, in addition to not wanting to give the Alexandria pd my prints.

riverrat10k

Despite the legalities involved, I find the practice of LEO "fishing" despicable on its face. The stop did not go south until the LEO asked about weapons and the pastor refused to answer.

Absent some other easily identifiable offense, the officer should just write the ticket and be done, or, if in fear for his safety, give a warning for the light and be done. Anything else is an attempt to "fish" for a larger crime under the cover of making a "legal stop". Only perpetuates my distrust of those in authori-tay.

I have no problem if stopped for a traffic violation. I do have a problem with wanting to search my vehicle, ID my passengers, or provide more info than I am willing to give about my travels. I was stopped last year for expired tags. Think it was a trainee and a training officer. Holstered .38 sitting on passenger seat. Trainee took my info, I was repeatedly asking why I was stopped. He advised of why, said they had checked, showed I had paid to renew, gave a warning to get stickers on plates and let me go. This was Chesterfield County. All handled properly.

Totalitarian policies are still fascist whatever else you might call them.

Last edited: